Olympic Games - 2016 | 8 | 6

• Rai sport is no longer showing ITA women's volleyball matches on TV. This is the right punishment for their awful tournament. After all there's no famous player in this team who could attract the public. :wavy:

This is indeed a harsh measure, because Rai sport is showing usually all relevant volleyball games of women's NT and strong clubs. So they consider these remaining matches of Italy no more as relevant... Bonita and the Italian federation will have a hard time after this desaster.

• Russians really enjoying themselves. Probably for the last time while in Rio...

Not so fast - Brazil was not seriously tested so far, this will happen in last group match against Russia, which is rather dangerous. I'm curious, if the spectators behave hostile against Russia like turkish spectators are used to, because the players of Brazil and Russia generally don't like each other. The mental posture on court of both teams is rather different too...

• In group of death B the main factor for the order of the teams qualified for the quarters will be Serbia vs. Netherlands, I guess the first are favorites, considering their increased strength and that Grothuis-Balkesteins participation for the Oranjes seems unlikely. And the duel Brazil-Russia in group A is far from being clear regarding outcome in my view... of course, if USA should not win against China, this could change things a lot too, but it seems also unlikely. So we have to wait fully for last day to get the quarterfinal setup.

• Tomorrow I think it will be an easy game for Serbia.

Without Grothues, Dutch reception will be really vulnerable against a strong serving team like Serbia.

• Russians really enjoying themselves. Probably for the last time while in Rio...

The RUS-JPN game has provided a precise answer regarding the reasons to include Vetrova in the roster. Good defense + quality high ball into two. The biggest bizarre is the lack of middle attack, even upon very good reception.

• Not so fast - Brazil was not seriously tested so far, this will happen in last group match against Russia, which is rather dangerous. I'm curious, if the spectators behave hostile against Russia like turkish spectators are used to, because the players of Brazil and Russia generally don't like each other. The mental posture on court of both teams is rather different too...

The spectators will be definitely supporting the local team, which I think is pretty natural. I guess that was the reason to support Japan and Cameroon vs Russia. I doubt though that we'll see various stuff being thrown on the pitch like in some exciting countries. As for the personal attitude of the players, I would cautiously assume things are different now. Way too many photographs are available of some of them hugging the others in Dinamo Msk/Dinamo Kr jerseys. Think of Giba/Dante and Grankin/Butko/Berezhko back in 2012.

• Breakout of the Possibilities for Pool A & B

Pool A
    Winner of Brazil vs. Russia will win Pool
    South Korea will finish third with 2 set wins over Cameroon
    Winner of Japan vs. Argentina will finish 4th

Pool B
    USA win over China and they win the Pool, Can also win pool if Serbia vs. Netherlands goes 5 sets and USA wins 2 sets
    Serbia can win Pool with win and USA loss in less than 5 sets
    Netherlands can win Pool with win and USA loss in less than 5 sets
    China can finish 3rd with win if their match does not go 5 sets and Serbia vs. Netherlands does not go 5 sets

Don't forget draws for A2 & A3 vs. B2 & B3 semifinal matches

Right now, winner of Brazil vs. Russia could face China in quarterfinals

• I'm curious, if the spectators behave hostile against Russia like turkish spectators are used to

No, they won't. Don't be so stupid.

• No, they won't. Don't be so stupid.

U r so dumb, this is not the first time u call people names and stupid, maybe u should look up a some new words for your vocabulary, this way u can make your point without attacking someone personally.

Of course Brazilians fans will give the Russia's a hard time. The biggest rivalry in womens volleyball after Brazil vs Cuba.

• Not so fast - Brazil was not seriously tested so far, this will happen in last group match against Russia, which is rather dangerous. I'm curious, if the spectators behave hostile against Russia like turkish spectators are used to, because the players of Brazil and Russia generally don't like each other. The mental posture on court of both teams is rather different too...

I don't think this is true. Fe Garay played with more than half of RUS NT in her clubs in the last seasons.

I'm sure it's not a personal thing between the players but a general rivalry between the teams. In the last 15 years they met in many key matches. Russia beat Brazil in two WCH finals, and they had two highly memorable Olympic encounters. First in 2004 when Russia simply would refuse to lose even being 1:2 sets and 19:24 down, the second in 2012 when Brazil took revenge defending six or seven Russian match points in that epic tie-break and crowned themselves with the Gold medal later in the tournament. So of course this is a special match for both teams, and I would not be surprised to see them meeting each other again in semifinal or final.

• U r so dumb, this is not the first time u call people names and stupid, maybe u should look up a some new words for your vocabulary, this way u can make your point without attacking someone personally.

Of course Brazilians fans will give the Russia's a hard time. The biggest rivalry in womens volleyball after Brazil vs Cuba.

and you are so kind and respectful, right? gimme a break.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

• StefanS,

I apologize for my behavior. I didn't mean to be disrespectful.

I just think that most of people here have a totally wrong perspective of Brazilian fans. Yes, they boo and might he hard sometimes, but trying to compare to Turkish fans in Turkish league or CL is too much. Brazilian fans behavior does not even come close to that.
    The atmosphere is really amazing in Rio and some Russian athletes and American athletes have been enjoying and saying on interviews that it's been awesome to play in Rio. So please, don' t start something that does not exist. Of course that inside the court there is a lot of rivarly between Russia and Brazil, but outside the court, there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

• Americans having a day off today...this is very strange, IMO

• I don't think this is true. Fe Garay played with more than half of RUS NT in her clubs in the last seasons.

I'm sure it's not a personal thing between the players but a general rivalry between the teams. In the last 15 years they met in many key matches. Russia beat Brazil in two WCH finals, and they had two highly memorable Olympic encounters. First in 2004 when Russia simply would refuse to lose even being 1:2 sets and 19:24 down, the second in 2012 when Brazil took revenge defending six or seven Russian match points in that epic tie-break and crowned themselves with the Gold medal later in the tournament. So of course this is a special match for both teams, and I would not be surprised to see them meeting each other again in semifinal or final.

Oh wow! You have just made me remember that unforgettable semifinal match between Russia and Brazil. What a piece of volleyball history. Athens 2004 had one of the best sem finals ever. China x Cuba was a big match too.

Btw, I agree with Sidney. There is no way to compare the turkih fans, when they get mad, with the brazilians. There is a big, HUGE, difference between these crowds. Latin crowds behave like this, like the brazilians, argentinians, colombians, etc etc. They just to boo, always sing and so on. Sometimes they could cross the border, but it seldom happens. I know europeans arent acostumed to his style (i have been in many european matches, and well, they just clap and clap and sing).
    So far, Brazilian crowd hasnt been "hostile". Ok..they have always cheered up against Russia, USA, etc"..but it is normal that the crowd cheer for the "weakest" team.

• Lol why

StefanS,

I apologize for my behavior. I didn't mean to be disrespectful.

I just think that most of people here have a totally wrong perspective of Brazilian fans. Yes, they boo and might he hard sometimes, but trying to compare to Turkish fans in Turkish league or CL is too much. Brazilian fans behavior does not even come close to that.
    The atmosphere is really amazing in Rio and some Russian athletes and American athletes have been enjoying and saying on interviews that it's been awesome to play in Rio. So please, don' t start something that does not exist. Of course that inside the court there is a lot of rivarly between Russia and Brazil, but outside the court, there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

How is it too much? Why is everyone even using Turkish fans or supporters as an example when I remember Kosheleva saying everything went fine and she was not disrespected by the Turkish fans. Yes Turkish people are a little fanatic. Yes they were booing but so were the Russians when playing with Turkey. What are you trying to say anyway. I don't know about the fans but some Brazillian girls attitude does not please me either.

PS: Sorry for going really :offtopic:

• Lol why

How is it too much? Why is everyone even using Turkish fans or supporters as an example when I remember Kosheleva saying everything went fine and she was not disrespected by the Turkish fans. Yes Turkish people are a little fanatic. Yes they were booing but so were the Russians when playing with Turkey. What are you trying to say anyway. I don't know about the fans but some Brazillian girls attitude does not please me either.

PS: Sorry for going really :offtopic:

I prefer not to keep on with the :offtopic: . We can talk in the private chat if you want to. But please take a look back a few posts, I'm not the one who started to compare Brazilian fans to Turkish fans. What I meant is that I have never seen such bad behavior by Brazilian fans if compared to some crowds that we normally see during Turkish league and CL. That's it.

Let's go back to the OG matches :win:

• Fernanda Rodrigues is close to almost every Russian player, even Zaryazhko who hasn't been a teammate of the Brazilian. They seem to be good friends hence I don't think they dislike each other, on the court they may look unhappy but I believe it's just because of the fact that they want to win.

You can't bring Turkish fans to this topic most importantly :rolll: Brazilian fans may boo but there are lots of supporters who like volleyball in general and I saw them take selfies with Russians and American players. I find it so sweet. If you are concerned about Russians being hated by the supporters, I don't think it's a big deal, the girls seem to be enjoying a lot the atmosphere :)

I expect a nice match by the Russians and Brazilians tomorrow.