FIVB U23 World Championship - 2017 | Egypt

• Kaziyski: Did you watch the games in Zagreb? I would love to read about the tournament.

I completely forgot they started yesterday so I missed the first games. Whereas the wins by Italy and Poland are not surprising, I didn't expect such a sounding slap by the Slovenian team 8| The Bulgarian roster is not bad at all and I thought that they would fight for a visa with Italy and Poland in the worst case. This defeat almost certainly sends them home empty-handed. Lapkov and Krasimir Georgiev practiced with the national team this summer, Atanasov, Chernokozhev, Yani Georgiev, Kartev played at the European League and all should've had a much better cooperation (and preparation) than Slovenia. I am not undermining the Slovenian contribution, they have two very solid names in the roster (Stern and Kozamernik) and both the match analysis and the stats sheet say they were better than Bulgaria in every aspect. None of the Bulgarians had a good game, Chernokozhev got injured (I don't know how serious) and it doesn't look good overall... But this reminds me of my recent posts concerning the Bulgarian volleyball future and I guess I could've seen it coming.

Slovenia face Italy and Poland in the next two days and unless they win against any of the two (and unless Bulgaria suddenly wakes up which is hard to believe), Poland and Italy have very good chances to get tickets.

• Unfortunately I wasn't in Zagreb during qualies, in fact I saw only one match, Italy - Bulgaria. Don't know what happened with Bulgarians but they looked pathetic indeed. Really bad communication on the field, predictable setter etc. I was quite disappointed. Italy played on really high level, Totire is a great expert and I see him coaching senior NT in near future :whistle: from conversation with some organizers they were expecting much more from Bulgaria and Turkey. Attendance was low, as expected, and it's mistery for me why we hosted qualies at all. Coach called very young players (4-5 were 16 y.o kids) so we hadn't any chance

• Games start tomorrow.

Brazil boosted their lineup with Rodrigo Leao and Douglas Souza. No surprise as they were already pulled out from the second day Brazil-USA friendly match.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I will risk a view, mainly because the "new rules" will be tested.

It looks like they gave up on changing the rule concerning the backrow attack. But the new scoring and "landing behind the line after serving" will be into effect at this tournament.

• I understand changing the scores but this "landing behind the line after serving" is just stupid, jump serves are the beauty of volleyball ! how come you can have a strong jump serve when you have to watch where you land !?

• I'm impressed... the new rules didn't turn out bad and made an exciting first set for Turkey and China.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I'm quite interest about the new score system, I think it has interesting possibility, along with some things that may not work better than the previous system.
    I also read the technical time out won't be given (alleluia! after the OG I thought FIVB finally got rid of them but they came back for WL/GP :S) and that the stop between two sets has been reduced to 2 minutes (instead of 3).
    Plus, they won't switch court until the second set is ended, and then eventually after the 4th, 5th and 6th.
    I wonder if there will be changing of court at the 8th point of set seven, in case.

On the other hand, I'm really relieved they got rid of the backrow-attack rule and I hope they'll soon get rid of the one for the service too, even if in the second case I may get the rule if the aim is to have less serve error (even more important in short set).
    In case, to make the game more difficult it seems better to me to put the 3 meter line about 50 cm farer from the net or to put the net higher at certain level...

• Turkey's opposite seems bothered with China's #15. or he's just not used to the block?

#FreeBritney

• First tiebreak with the new scoring system for Turkey and China.

#FreeBritney

• Glad to see combination plays still thriving on this level of men's volleyball.

It's funny to think this chinese team is actually much faster than their seniorplayers in the national team. :white:

#FreeBritney

• Glad to see combination plays still thriving on this level of men's volleyball.

It's funny to think this chinese team is actually much faster than their seniorplayers in the national team. :white:

Xu Zhen-sen (No.1) and Hou Yin-long (No.2) proved why Yu Yao-chen was in the senior team but they wasn't.
    I still think the attackers were too tired due to these two setters' sets.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• That Brazilian setter has such a bad attitude. Can't believe he is actually trying to start a fight and he is the captain of the team. Cuba has got that one call that was supposed to tie the game unfortunately, the ref did not see the ball was in but they were more cool about that while he got so upset when his team only needs a point to end the game. Just bad sportmanship imo.

#FreeBritney

• Wang Zhao-rui (MB) and Yu Guang-hui (OP) should take part in the tournament.
    The U23 Chinese NT without substitute MBs and the substitute OP, Xu Ning ...
    I hope the strongest players of Chinese NT born in 1995 and 1996 get the success in the future.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Brazil vs Russia

The setball for Brazil for the 3:2 was funny. Brazil blocks russian attack, the ball flies direction out and for whatever reason, brazil libero digs the ball on the russian side and brings it back. Still having two contacts, Brazil is making the point and wins set. Considering this blatant error by the ref, protests on russian side were still comparatively modest :lol: