2017 FIVB World League

• Might be just be, but Gianelli seams really off, he looks tired, I don`t know what it is.

Yeah, in an italian blog we all notice the same.
    I bet it's not easy to play with a team not very used to his fast game (because it's fast and because sometimes it happens to be imprecise, understandably), without a clear leader to refer to (Lanza out, Vettori off, Colaci is a libero so he can hardly train a whole time imho, and btw vs USA he was off too), with the spikers that sometimes are off all together, with a shaky reception (anyway today was better than vs USA imho).
    Most of all, he probably needed a longer vacation. Now I't probably to late to decide to give space to someone else, it could feel it like he failed it. Or like his game doesn't fit the team (while imho we need the opposite: the team will have to fit his game, otherwise I'm afraid we don't stand a chance against the top teams. I'm with Lorenzetti about it, volleyball direction at the moment is becoming faster and faster).

The only game they "brought it" was against Brazil.

I haven't watched it yet, but I read that last yesterday vs France we did something decent. And also half of the match vs Poland, imho (and obviously vs Iran).

• If Bulgaria can't win this set. I'm afraid Brazil will take this game to a fifth set.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Italy doesn't exactly have big swing hitters so they cannot really play the high ball game so they have to play it fast.

Giannelli did his best imo. He got tired in this russia match I think. I guess it's just a consequence of playing with a new batch of players. Wish they played with Sabbi from the start. It could've strengthen the team chemistry imo.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Unless Brazil turns things around in this game, it looks like we are set for relegation even if we beat Bulgaria at home in last weekend (I would like to believe Italy will beat either Canada or Belgium).

Velasco understimated the competition, there is no reason for De Cecco and Conte to skip this WL.

• Looks like a tactical loss for Brazil imo. They get to train their bench and at the same time helping a weak team go to the final round. Not bad.

Murilo should've played better. He was probably nervous starting ahead of Bruno.

#FreeBritney

• Unless Brazil turns things around in this game, it looks like we are set for relegation even if we beat Bulgaria at home in last weekend (I would like to believe Italy will beat either Canada or Belgium).

Velasco understimated the competition, there is no reason for De Cecco and Conte to skip this WL.

It is highly likely Bulgaria wont travel to Cordoba with full team ;) their priority is ECH in last August/early September so exhausting trip to Argentina simply doesnt fit their plans :whistle: but even you beat them u need help from Belgium/Canada/France or take 2 wins next weekend. Falling in Division 2 means loss of high quality matches in WCH year and I don't see how you can improve playing against Portugal, South Korea, Turkey etc. IMO it's cruical to stay in Division 1 for the next season

Fully agree regarding Velasco's atittude towards WL but I dont understand what r De Cecco & Conte doing. Many other stars are playing after exhausting seasons... Velasco gave Conte too much "space" instead ordering him to lead this team.. same goes for De Cecco.

Serbia played great weekend despite some major absences and even they beat Bulgaria and Argentina they r on F6. Same goes for France. Tournament in Antwerpen will be the most interesting one as 3 teams are fighting for F6. :whistle:

• I honestly feel they should do whatever it takes to get Uriarte back on board.

It's not like De Cecco is not giving him space to play this year. So the problem must be internal.

I also do not get why they did not take some players from Rio or took Sole in the first round.

#FreeBritney

• Looks like a tactical loss for Brazil imo. They get to train their bench and at the same time helping a weak team go to the final round. Not bad.

Murilo should've played better. He was probably nervous starting ahead of Bruno.

I have two questions for you.

1. How exactly does it look like tactical loss? What are the common patterns when Brazil plays to lose? Specific models of serving, block-defense or other behavior that you could distinguish as uncommon after careful statistical analysis?
    2. How do you define "weak" for teams? Bulgaria has been consistently among top 8 in almost every competition since 1950-s, since 2006 in top 6 in every competition with 2014 WCH and 2016 olympic games as exception and with three bronze medals and several 4th places. Currently the team won against Russia, the World and the Olympic champion.

• Looks like Azadi Stadium is not scary anymore ! the visiting teams acutally enjoy playing there ! I think Belgium, Serbia and Argentina all of them played their best match of the weekend against Iran ! :D

Btw according the Iran Volleyball federation they already confirmed teams for 2018 and there is no relegation/promotion this year. and remember Iran Volley president is a member of World League board or something like that. so I guess you can consider him a reliable source.

even Vital Heynen said in press conference that this is their last year in tier 1 and they want to go to final 6

according to IVF, there will be 16 teams next year, 12 teams are confirmed for next 7 years !!! Brazil, Iran, China, Italy, Poland, Serbia, USA, France, Japan, Germany, Russia and Argentina.
    and these 4 teams will be in tier 1 next year. Australia, South Korea, Canada and Bulgaria.

• I honestly feel they should do whatever it takes to get Uriarte back on board.

It's not like De Cecco is not giving him space to play this year. So the problem must be internal.

I also do not get why they did not take some players from Rio or took Sole in the first round.

Uriarte asked again to not be called this year. Don't know what is up with him.

From Rio squad well... Jose luis Gonzalez I think was simply not called, Palacios wasn't called because Velasco has a policy of not calling players that don't start for their clubs, Bruno Lima is injured and the two I mentioned are just "resting". De Cecco at least has the excuse that he had a long season, but Conte played the bloody chinese league which finished like in March :lol:

De Cecco will play next week though, also our most promising youngster Nicolas Lazo may be added.

• Yes, I already heard similar rumors so guess they are true.. but Japan, South Korea and China in Division 1? Ok, one Far East Asian team should be in Division 1 but 3 :aww: they aren't among top teams in Division 2 :aww:

• Yes, I already heard similar rumors so guess they are true.. but Japan, South Korea and China in Division 1? Ok, one Far East Asian team should be in Division 1 but 3 :aww: they aren't among top teams in Division 2 :aww:

Actually 5 teams from AVC for a 16-team tournament, while FIVB gave 4 spots to AVC for the World Champs Qualifiers with 24 teams.

I guess World League is all about money, probably JPN/CHN/KOR are not interested to play in Div 2

• I'm not interested in driving Volkswagen but that surely doesnt mean I'm able to drive Formula 1 or WRC :D of course it's about the money but if I'm on place of f.e Brazil, Russia or Serbia I would complain. It's better for them to play against Belgium or Slovenia than Japan or South Korea

• I have two questions for you.

1. How exactly does it look like tactical loss? What are the common patterns when Brazil plays to lose? Specific models of serving, block-defense or other behavior that you could distinguish as uncommon after careful statistical analysis?
    2. How do you define "weak" for teams? Bulgaria has been consistently among top 8 in almost every competition since 1950-s, since 2006 in top 6 in every competition with 2014 WCH and 2016 olympic games as exception and with three bronze medals and several 4th places. Currently the team won against Russia, the World and the Olympic champion.

1. Brazil used their bench.
    2. Eh. Bulgaria looks weak for a team with full squad and still playing a very slow game compared to other teams and still deterioriating after their 2012 best days. I admire that they defeated some high ranking teams but Russia used their Team B and Brazil their bench which just ofcourse means a game that is in favor with them having their best players with them. Poland imo is also weaker since they played World Cup. I don't even consider them one of the top 5 teams in the world anymore. So Bulgaria beating Poland isn't really an impossible task.

#FreeBritney

• [quote='LDvolley','index.php?page=Thread&postID=341267#post341267']

Serbia played great weekend despite some major absences and even they beat Bulgaria and Argentina they r on F6. Same goes for France. Tournament in Antwerpen will be the most interesting one as 3 teams are fighting for F6. :whistle:

France are already qualified. Serbia are in too if they beat Argentina which is to be expected. Given Serbian and Bulgarian federations are pretty tight, it may very well result in a "surprising" Bulgarian win over their neighbours. So Bulgaria will need to beat Argentina then to be in F6 which is feasible.

• Sounds like a bad move for FIVB. People actually loves competition. This won't get you competition. This will just make World League a third tier tournament all the more so and I won't be surprised if the teams will keep resting their best players or the best teams to skip WL for WCH and Olympics because of their new rules.

#FreeBritney