Men's World Grand Champions Cup 2017

• Got 5/8 hehe. Not bad e. Honestly, I was about to put Matt as OP but, again, I never thought FIVB would award this to a 4th place finisher. But boy I was all wrong for not including Lucarelli, much worse as a double awardee for MVP. Should revisit my stats skills very soon :)

Again the awardees:
    OHs - Lucarelli, Ebadipour
    MBs - Piano, Lucas
    Setter - Gianneli
    Libero - Ide
    OP - Anderson
    MVP - Lucarelli

• Bruno ranks last among setters, #6

Well, imho the stats are not all (especially when it come to the individual award), but if among all there is one stats I always have a very hard time to consider is the setter stats...

BTW, after all I'm quite sorry Lanza hadn't got the award, considering how many people in Italy doesn't see him as a valid OH it would have been nice for him (I don't think he is a top OH, anyway).

About Anderson, I made two consideration: first, his team hasn't got a medal and he is not playing for Japan :P; second, he didn't play all the time as opposite.

• I can't believe FIVB hasn't put the award ceremony photos yet, when after the matches the photos are uploaded very soon...
    And they didn't even post a news about the individual award, just a tweet (and only Twitter, while they have like 4 social media). :pinch:

• I would've given four awards to Italy. :obey:

The biggest snub is Massimo Colaci. That guy held the fort for Italy. I am hoping he'll do the same for Perugia.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Quoted
    wow. vettori got an ace in first set when he clearly foot-faulted but JPN coach didn't bother to challenge it even though players were calling out the foot-fault.

I was sure he did a foot fault too
    Anyway, I learned lately that the TV gave a very different impression: sometime I see a 'probable' touch, and then the challenge show it wasn't, other times I saw a massive fault, and at the end the foot only slightly touched a very small portion of the line...

See, in the 4th I strongly suspected that Giannelli did a foot fault, and also Tillie even called the challenge in the middle of the action to check for it, but the foot wasn't even that close to the line.

kk, sorry to be so late to reply. i only watch whatever i can catch on YT... so about that particular point, i went back and rewound it and yes, there was a foot fault. very egregious and bad for JPN that they didn't challenge it, they might have won the first set if they did.

on the other hand, this happens a lot, and imagine in the old days without video challenges... how many calls were not made and how luck influenced matches?

as i said , i don't watch many of these matches, but i did catch USA x FRA. frenchie youngsters are impressive, even roussard, even if he makes stupid dumb mistakes, but he's promising, as are patry and of course, chinenyeze and boyer.

again, what's up with all the blondies in the FRA team? did they lose a bet or something? :D

• Beating Brazil, USA, France and still not winning the gold medal :aww:

Yes, we did that again :lol:

I finally found a video of the ceremony.
    https://youtu.be/fx9T_px_h7o

@ossobuts, thanks for the answer; I've no doubt there was a foot fault too, but my point was that judging it from the TV (unless it's a specif replay) it's quite tricky, since often the truth is different than what the eye catched on tv.
    In this case it felt as a massive foot fault so I believe it was maden, but I think the videochallenge would have shown it wasn't that massive as it seems on the 'big' camera ;)

• wow. vettori got an ace in first set when he clearly foot-faulted but JPN coach didn't bother to challenge it even though players were calling out the foot-fault.

I thought the same, too! And I remember the Chinese NT head coach during the 2014 WCH seemed to refuse to use the video challenge system no matter how appropriate it could have been on a number of occasions. This is one of the impressions I got while watching Asian teams compete in intercontinental events. Is it a cultural thing that they just don't want to interfere with the refs and their decisions? While any European coach would go berserk just seeing a ref raise his hand in the other direction and would challenge both useless situations and last-point actions just for the sake of it (and sometimes with a tactical purpose, of course, when it isn't the last point), Asians seem to be quite chilled when dealing with such "injustice".

• well, yavor, it's hard to generalize ... i think the JPN coach (i'm assuming nakagaichi makes the decision to challenge, not blain) did make several challenges later on, but that one was particularly egregious because JPN might have won that first set had they won that challenge, and the players were calling it too. so the failure to do so was pretty bad. not that they would have won the match, but it might have gone to 5.

chinese posters in the other thread seem to have a very low opinion of their coach in the 2014 WCh. from the little i saw, he seemed pretty inept.

on the other hand, the women's coach, lang ping, has not qualms about calling challenges...