2017 FIVB U21 World Championship | Czech Republic

• First part of European qualifiers for U21 WCH in Czech Republic is over. Germany, Belgium, Serbia and Bulgaria secured spot in the next round as a group winners while Latvia and France advanced further as the best 2nd ranked teams. 3rd round of qualification will be held 18-21 May with Poland and Ukraine as group hosts. Poland will play against Germany, Belgium and Latvia while Ukraine is going to host Serbia, Bulgaria and France.

I'm quite surprised with Belgium as this generation have had poor results but new head coach, Eyckmans, made incredibile improvement. Also Latvia is pleasant surprise while Romania failed again despite having quite interesting roster.

One interesting fact for the end. Ex-Belgorod coach, Boris Kolchinss is head coach of Latvia :)

• First part of European qualifiers for U21 WCH in Czech Republic is over. Germany, Belgium, Serbia and Bulgaria secured spot in the next round as a group winners while Latvia and France advanced further as the best 2nd ranked teams. 3rd round of qualification will be held 18-21 May with Poland and Ukraine as group hosts. Poland will play against Germany, Belgium and Latvia while Ukraine is going to host Serbia, Bulgaria and France.

I'm quite surprised with Belgium as this generation have had poor results but new head coach, Eyckmans, made incredibile improvement. Also Latvia is pleasant surprise while Romania failed again despite having quite interesting roster.

One interesting fact for the end. Ex-Belgorod coach, Boris Kolchinss is head coach of Latvia :)

I first wanted to write that Turkeys result must be massive disappointment for them but then i checked qualification criteria:

If i see it right, Russia, Italy, Turkey and Poland will be qualified through world ranking anyway. I just wonder why, unlike Russia and Italy, Turkey and Poland are still playing qualification at all?

Qualification criteria: http://u21.men.2017.volleyball…competition/qualification
    U21 world ranking: http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyball/VB_Ranking_U21_2017-01.asp

• I hope China men's national volleyball team be one of the strongest teams of the senior teams.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• @Timm

Yes, Turkey already secured WCH spot based on FIVB U21 rankings. Reason for joining these qualies is they were not sure whether they are in the top six or not as rankings were published on 1st January. Poland has to play qualies as a U20 European champions :whistle:

• @Timm

Yes, Turkey already secured WCH spot based on FIVB U21 rankings. Reason for joining these qualies is they were not sure whether they are in the top six or not as rankings were published on 1st January. Poland has to play qualies as a U20 European champions :whistle:

This is one of the sentences which defines why volleyball will not get any serious popularity (meaning development, coverage, and money) any time soon.

• This is one of the sentences which defines why volleyball will not get any serious popularity (meaning development, coverage, and money) any time soon.

U said everything in just one sentence :drink: I found this information on Turkish Volleyball Federation website so that says a lot.

• Poland has to play qualies as a U20 European champions :whistle:

But with China and Argentina being already qualified, they look safe for qualification over world ranking too. So what appeared to be a bad draw for the german team could actually turn out to be a good one. Always provided of course that Poland now sends a "B-team" to second round..... :whistle:

• New circumstances about U21 WCH qualies :obey: Apparently only Russia and Italy (from Europe) have secured WCH spot. Does anyone knows what's happening as first six teams on FIVB rankings on 1st January should be on WCH :gone:

• New circumstances about U21 WCH qualies :obey: Apparently only Russia and Italy (from Europe) have secured WCH spot. Does anyone knows what's happening as first six teams on FIVB rankings on 1st January should be on WCH :gone:

Why do you think so?

Poland's participation in 2nd round was already scheduled before first round. I remember that something like that happened already before (polish team played qualie despite being already qualified....)

• BEcause on wiki page of competition only Russia and Italy are marked as qualified through world ranking..

Ok, so nothing really official yet. I think, even by FIVB standards that would be a too drastic and short term change......

By the way, if i count it right, even Slovenia who hasn't achieved anything with this group of players, has good chances of qualifying through world ranking :white:

• so Poland isn't qualified while Turkey lost WCH spot because they've sent B team to Croatia in January.. :rolll:

That CEV news dates back to November 2016. So nothing new here.

I assume, FIVB just waits to announce the complete "world ranking spots" until all confederations have played their qualifiers.

"Patience you must have, young padawan" :teach:

• CEV said Russia and Italy qualified by WR, so both teams not include in CEV qualifier. Like men's 23 and women ' U20.

Now, Russia U23 qualified by WR with Korea. From the last news in men's U23 website.

• source: http://www.volleychina.org/nm/2017/0512/3288.html

As the winner of 2016 U20 ACH, before they arrive in Czech Republic, they will go to Italy and participate in some warm-ups.
    PS:
    I introduce the head coach, Ju Gen-yin [R3 in the first photo and the "only one" in the second photo].
    During 2005 to 2010, he was the head coach of Team Shanghai (Shanghai Golden Age).
    From 2010, he became the head coach of Chinese U-series NT.
    He as the head coach got the runner-up of 2013 U19 WCH and the 3rd place of 2015 U21 WCH.

• That CEV news dates back to November 2016. So nothing new here.

I assume, FIVB just waits to announce the complete "world ranking spots" until all confederations have played their qualifiers.

"Patience you must have, young padawan" :teach:

No WCH for Turkey :whistle: They were sure about participating through FIVB rankings and obviously FIVB changed rules after 1st round :rolll: :obey:

Only five European team teams can participate in World Cup U21 in the Czech Republic from 23 June to 2 July. And because organizer Czech Republic and the numbers one and two in the world rankings (Russia and Italy) are already sure of their place, only two European countries can join.

• OK, i give up on trying to find some reason/transparancy in FIVBs decisions. I won't waste my time anymore :white:

Just a last question: Where does your below quote regarding the 5 spots for CEV does come from?

No WCH for Turkey :whistle: They were sure about participating through FIVB rankings and obviously FIVB changed rules after 1st round :rolll: :obey: