Men's Club World Championship 2017

• What happened in that referee call? Why was it double touch? Or better, why the first touch wasn't considered block? the ball was going on the other side, I think ou can block a bagher as well if you want...

Ball was not considered as a block since Leon didn't touch the ball. Then it's a try to attack the ball to the Zenit side (first touch), dropping from the net to the ground saving the ball is the second touch for Sokolov.

• Best OHs: Wilfredo Leon and Yoandry Leal
    Best MBs: Alexey Samoylenko and Robertlandy Simon
    Best Setter: Alexander Butko
    Best Libero: Jenia Grebennikov :down:
    Best Opposite: Tsvetan Sokolov
    MVP: Osmany Juantorena lol no. :rolll:

And that's that.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• High display of volleyball from Zenit. They were very determined this year after being so close. The last couple of finals they were just outplayed and didn't really seem to have a plan B. But they have played so much calmer and composed throughout the tournament. Leon was determined to show the Poles what he will be contributing to their national team :-) With all the talk abut him coming to the polish league, I wonder what Zenit will do if he leaves? Despite being a well organised team - Leon is clearly the x factor.

Lube suffered same issues they have in the Italian league - when they are not playing well they just seem to capitulate... Hoping to see if they can redeem themselves in the champions league.

It's no coincidence that the top 3 teams are coming from the best leagues.

• As if people are lining up to watch a weak continental tournament such as the South American Club Championship. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Why evertime do we have to discuss about the best line-up and the best MVP? Didn't you understand that the awards in this kind of tournaments are distributed through geopolitical criteria (=someone of every teams in order to make everyone happy)?

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• As if people are lining up to watch a weak continental tournament such as the South American Club Championship. :whistle:

Nobody...

just like u said, Brazilian League is not good because only Cruzeiro wins...I guess we can say same thing about CL cuz only Kazan wins.

Well, Kazan is your 2018 CL winner, either u like it or not. Enjoy . :lol:

• I`m sorry but I won`t even be watching Men`s Champions League...there`s no reason to do it when you know already who`s winning.

Nobody...

just like u said, Brazilian League is not good because only Cruzeiro wins...I guess we can say same thing about CL cuz only Kazan wins.

Well, Kazan is your 2018 CL winner, either u like it or not. Enjoy . :lol:

There will always be exciting matches along the way in the Champions League that I cannot guarantee with anyone facing Sada in the SACC. Enjoy it too. :win:

#FreeBritney

• Ball was not considered as a block since Leon didn't touch the ball. Then it's a try to attack the ball to the Zenit side (first touch), dropping from the net to the ground saving the ball is the second touch for Sokolov.

I'm not convinced: I did got that Leon didn't catch the ball, but I can't see why Lube block wasn't considered as a block on Kazan second touch. The set was going on the other court so it's an 'attack' as well, isn't it?

Best OHs: Wilfredo Leon and Yoandry Leal
    Best MBs: Alexey Samoylenko and Robertlandy Simon
    Best Setter: Alexander Butko
    Best Libero: Jenia Grebennikov
    Best Opposite: Tsvetan Sokolov
    MVP: Osmany Juantorena

I would have switched Leon and Juantorena to be honest. No geopolitical harm vs anyone with that ;)

But yes, Lisiniac and Cester wouldn't have robbed nobosy winning the MB award imho.

Ps: rdfabio, Rain, pleas stop playing this silly 'game'... So boring.
    One thing is to discuss 'who is the best League' (for example, discussing about the evaluation criteria: results not granted/balance, best players in the world, best teams in the world, history, fans, atmosphere...), another is to 'bully' one another...

• 4 Cubans in the dream team

3 were in the national team at the same time

I wonder what that team could have achieved by now..... shame..

amazing how the Cubans have a huge impact in every team they play!

• Absolutely the night of the cubans.

May I add that in the turkish cup. Halkbank won. And the players they have are Hierezuello and Hernandez. The cubans could've been amazing. So unfortunate but that's the choice they went with and we must respect that.

#FreeBritney

• This is just ridiculous. Sada has prove it not only one, but 3 times, they were the best. And those excuses to “prove” Sada didn’t deserve their titles is just ridiculous. Just doesn’t make sense. Zenit can be better right now, but this doesn’t erase Sada’s achievements (and 2 of them over Zenit).

I am not in a position to debate which league is stronger etc as I don't have time to follow these leagues THB. But the fact is that winning the domestic cup this season was a more complex task for Kazan than grabbing the CWC title. Some of you have seen the F4 in which Zenit was bruised and bleeding. At CWC, we had a very close final indeed but at the same time Kazan clearly had a poor serving game whilst Macerata-or-whatever was very lucky with all those micro touches, carries "power tips" etc. I doubt there are many games in their home league in which both OHs would kill like 70% of balls in most improbable way. Well, I bet the truth was that breaking Sokolov's back was clearly the main task for Kazan. At the TO in set 2, Alekno was pretty open about that. And yes, the kind-of-Italian team needed a TO after that 1-on-1 block on Sokolov in set 2... That was the point of no return. Btw, struggle to understand why their coach speaks Italian to his team of labour migrants non-Italians :).

Regarding to which club is historically best, I do not think this competition can resolve this q fairly. I understand the apologists of Sada greatness but let us face the fact, a pre-season tourney on a different planet continent is not going to be taken seriously by definition. Do admit that the overall level of CWCs won by Sada was pretty poor. From this perspective, the CWCs won by Belgorod and Kazan may look far more valuable. But then the caveat here is that Belgorod had domestic finals rearranged for them back in 2014 (and in fact given those away to Kazan) in order to prepare for the CWC - I doubt their opponents had such a liberty. This year, let's face it, Kazan needed this most - due to some domestic funding risks imposed by their doppelgänger from St Petersburg. I am not aware of any special pressure on Sada... and many other teams seemed as if they arrived mostly to enjoy themselves. I wouldn't say the venues were packed... and all the finals ending in straight sets tell a very clear tale.

So Poland won 2014 FIVB WCH because they hosted it? And had the advantage of time zone over Brazil? So Brazil won 2016 Olympics just because they were in their home?

Yes, those were home wins, very similar to e.g. the "miraculous" win of ChL by Novosibirsk in 2013. And we all should thank Deutschland that the 2014 football World Cup went off this beaten track.

At CWC, we had a very close final indeed but at the same time Kazan clearly had a poor serving game whilst Macerata-or-whatever was very lucky with all those micro touches, carries "power tips" etc. I doubt there are many games in their home league in which both OHs would kill like 70% of balls in most improbable way. Well, I bet the truth was that breaking Sokolov's back was clearly the main task for Kazan. At the TO in set 2, Alekno was pretty open about that. And yes, the kind-of-Italian team needed a TO after that 1-on-1 block on Sokolov in set 2... That was the point of no return. Btw, struggle to understand why their coach speaks Italian to his team of labour migrants non-Italians :).

If one of your OH is Juantorena ,why not? ( his league average is +60%) Alekno must feel very lucky tonight that it was a very average serving game for Juantorena. Since Juantorena won 3 MVPs against him before by destroying Zenit with service :whistle:
    Today I'm convinced 2011 Trentino was better than this Zenit. Imagine there was Kaziyski instead of Kovar, more efficient Stokr instead of Sokolov and Raphael, that has way better choices

• Did anyone else notice that the last challenge by Lube (Juantorena's spike out) was their 3rd challenge in the set?! They missed the other two...weird...

• Did anyone else notice that the last challenge by Lube (Juantorena's spike out) was their 3rd challenge in the set?! They missed the other two...weird...

The challenge on the 36th point was eventually requested by Kazan since the referee gave the block touch against Zenit.

Kk15 I just rewatched the situation. Now I'm not sure. First I thought he made an attack attempt, but this was definitely a block by Solokov. I'll come back with the answer.

(14.1.1 Blocking is the action of players close to the net to intercept the ball
    coming from the opponent by reaching higher than the top of the net,
    regardless of the height of the ball contact. Only front-row players are
    permitted to complete a block, but at the moment of the contact with
    the ball, a part of the body must be higher than the top of the net.
    )

• Thanks!
    At the beginning I thought Sokolov made a net invasion with the second touch, but on a replay there wasn't any and I think the referee called for a second touch.
    But I agree with you, it really looked like a block...

• Juantorena won a new MVP award to show to Atanasijevic! :cheesy:

Sometimes I feel glad that Lube lost so Juantorena won't gloat even more. :dance6:

#FreeBritney