Montreux Volley Masters 2017 - 6-11.06.2017

• i don't know who laola commentator is, but yeah, he's not great, he's wrong a lot... but remember those awful know-nothings that fivb had for the WOQ last time (go to YT and you can hear them in all their pathetic glory)... at least this guy seems to know what sport he's narrating...

• sitenoise, i don't think that's correct. all THA shirt names are surname initial followed by given name. so onuma sittirak shirt says S. Onuma, for example, and pleumjit thinkaow shirt says T. Pleumjit.

Okay, that may be true of Thailand and their jerseys, but it's definitely the case (in the few matches I've seen with english) that one announcer will say "Wilavan" and another will say "Apinyapong" and one will say "Nootsara" and another "Tomkom"--sometimes two announcers of the same game will do that. And I've heard one arena announcer introduce "Wilavan Apinyapong" and another "Apinyapong Wilavan", so I don't know what their custom is--maybe has to do with where they are playing, who's announcing and what their custom is.

I think Japan switch around when two players have the same family name. Mizuki Tanaka wore "Tanaka" while Misaki Tanaka wore "M. Tanaka" then Mizuki wore "Mizuki" on her jersey at one point. And it might be the Japanese are the only ones switching numbers. When I'm trying to learn the players of a team, I often start with hair style and body type, but since most all of the Japanese players have the same hair style and body type, I need to employ the advanced technique of jersey numbers :rolll:

China and Korea seem totally consistent with the surname, given name initial(s). Which is fun when three starters for China are named Wang and another one "Huang", which sounds the same to my ears, and four Korean starters are named Kim!

Bottom line is, I'm not very bright and I need more hand holding :rolll:

• but remember those awful know-nothings that fivb had for the WOQ last time

The Rio Olympics were the first Volleyball games I ever watched. And for whatever reason, the way that I streamed them had that one guy who's on those Youtube Qualifiers. After the Rio games hooked me, and I couldn't re-watch them because of whatever rights nonsense, I went to those qualifier matches. So that guy, who was totally in the bag for Japan, and had the hots for Saori to the point it got creepy, was my introduction to Volleyball. :D The laola guy is leaps and bounds above him.

"Saori's there! Saori's there!" He even used the word "we" when talking about Japan.

• i think with the THA names, announcers will switch between family and given names, because some are following international practice (surname) and some are just going by the shirt name.

i read somewhere that in KOR, 50% of the population are named with just 4 family names (kim, park, lee and choi), that's why there's so many with same name. in RUS, it's the opposite, very many last names, and very few first names that are used, so so many players have the same first name (natalya, irina, elena, etc.).

• Quoted from "samsara" I hope BRA team will take this victory as the settlement of old debt

Yeah, because winning a meaningless match in Montreux is the same as a quarterfinal match in the Olympics

LOL! :lol:

• Quoted from "ST2008" Quoted from "saishuu" Quoted from "samsara" I hope BRA team will take this victory as the settlement of old debt

Yeah, because winning a meaningless match in Montreux is the same as a quarterfinal match in the Olympics LOL!

and against a CHN that had only 2 olympic champions!

Actually, I learned that Brazilian girls had never lost a single set before the quart final. As for the Chinese girls, it was the first time in the Olympic history that a team had lost 3 matches but still able to win a gold medal. Sorry for being off topic.

• That formula of SURNAME + First name in Asia applies only to: Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Burmese... just three civilizations if I don't miss anything

for the rest in Asia, they're of First name + SURNAME. Indian, Japanese, Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian, and so on...

UPDATE:
    ossubtus is correct, the Burmese names do not use surname.

From the Wiki page:

Burmese names lack the serial quality of most modern names. The Bamars have no customary patronymic or matronymic system and thus there is no surname at all.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 3 times, last by samsara ().

• Chinese peoples said Japanese names with Chinese characters - surnames first and given names second.

Kimura Saori (Japanese) Saori Kimura (Western) - 木村纱织 is only right full name.

About foreigners of Japanese descent:
    Kawika Shoji and Erik Shoji could be only translated by Western names - 卡维卡-庄司 and 埃里克-庄司.
    Tamari Miyashiro - if you thought she is an American: 玉里-宫代, if you thought she is an Japansese woman: 宫代玉里 (without "-")
    Ana Tiemi Takagui - 安娜-千惠美-高木 (Brazil) 高木千惠美 (Japanese as "Takagui Tiemi")

EDIT: Chinese media used 高仓 (Takakura) as the surname of Ana Tiemi Takagui a few years ago.
    However, Takagui should be 高木 by Japanese language or Chinese language. "高仓" is wrong.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

Edited once, last by tomen ().

• It's not "excuses" and it's not "2 more sets". Of course it's a final and of course Germany will try their best, but what I mean is that I won't be surprised if Brazil wins easily tomorrow. Not that I hope it, but it can happen...

I think also, for Brazil it is revenge time for the unexpected defeat in group phase, and the physical advantage is also with them this time.

• My very guess, all the losers in the group matches will have the reversal outcomes in today's final matches :-) for some reasons hard to digest the earlier losses didn't reflect the true strength of each team... nonetheless they will matter most in the decisive matches. That's what counts.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• June 11, 2017
    Local Time (UTC/GMT +2): (+ 5 hours for Thailand Time: (UTC/GMT +7))
    3rd place
    11 June 13:30 Argentina – China
    https://www.laola1.tv/en-int/l…1-3rd-placement-match-len
    Final
    11 June 16:00 Germany – Brazil
    https://www.laola1.tv/en-int/l…7-06-11-final-tba-tba-len

• i wish more playng time for rosamaria edinara and drussyla... tandara and natalia is just so experienced but the youngsters rrreally need thiis tournament... i like roberta and tandara's connection along with rosamaria and adenizia it is just sensational..
    as for natalia, i dont know if shes a bit tired lately more adjustment since she is captain of selecao but i commend her improved passing and servingg skills.

have high hhhoopes for bia to play in grand prix as titular along with juciely...

• I think the problem with Natalia now is that she has to re-adjust with the Brazil style of volleyball -- fast tempo offence. In Fenerbahce she was given mostly high balls because her jumping height is insane and she can kill really high ball with her hard spike. I just wish Coach Ze will allow her to play high ball because she is really efficient that way.

Natalia is filling in Mari Steinbrecher's shoes very well, having being able to play both OH and OPP position very well and can kill high ball. Hope Gabi will step up to the plate to become the next Paula because she has the jumping ability. She just need to be very smart with her target placing like Paula. Brazil need another Mari-Paula duo since the block is getting faster and taller.

I really hope Coach Ze will not develop any problem with Roberta. Compare to Naiane (which is also a good setter) she has a better prospect. Roberta and Naiane will be another Dani Lins - Fabiola battle to fill in the starting place. Unless Macris slays everyone out of the blue.