Russian Superleague 2017/2018

• Yeah me too. Russian Superleague is more balanced because other clubs are stepping up.

The fan atmosphere is also nice. Zenit SPb has been on a winning streak because of the support from their fans so you are probably feeding on their excitement.

I am very glad Klimkin is being more critical especially to Pankov. His coaching method earlier was not feasible with their club's ambitions and the strength of the Russian Superleage which increased from last year. That's not good for the survival of their young club. I really hate the loser mentality. No way you are going to win if you are fine with the performance. You really have to force the greatness of the team considering how weak is the team when it comes to their passing and the bench.

This surprised me. The hall is full and they are actively cheering,

• I think Zenit is so confident and cocky that , even Alekno came to match with no plan. There is Camejo there, but they are continuing to serve to libero

I am not watching very attentively but i somehow have impression too that Kazan completely lacks focus and body language. They probably can afford the loss and Gazprom may be happy too that their team 2 can do some advertisement for themselves.... :whistle:

• What a game. Finally the winning streak is over for Zenit Kazan. :obey:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I am not watching very attentively but i somehow have impression too that Kazan completely lacks focus and body language. They probably can afford the loss and Gazprom may be happy too that their team 2 can do some advertisement for themselves.... :whistle:

Have to say, this Gazprom moment does sound a bit crappy as I can't completely rule out that certain words were said before the game. Gazprom has their HQ in SPb so the local Zenit gains some unwritten priority and there are all kind of rumours of a massive recruitment next season "if things go well". What goes along this narrative fairly well is the fact that Fakel (a formally independent but still very much run-on-gas team) lost to SPb somehow very easily and that was essentially a week before their very good game in Kazan.

We need to be fair to SPb, there were clearly people on the pitch and next to that who have had their gorgeous bottoms kicked by the big bosses within the last month or so. Pankov has played several very good games and so did Luburic. Camejo has visually scored much more against Kazan, some pretty superb ball control against three-men block. Not talking about the coaching brigade who seems to have had some sleepless nights before the game.

• Some adjustments were also made.

SPb used to copy the exact rotation of Zenit Kazan with both of the Cubans only attacking at position 4 minus the pipe. However... the attack of Evgeny is weak as a "weak" side attacker when Luburic moves in front so they interchanged Sivozheles and Camejo which has been working for SPb for quite some time.

I must say they need a better russian OH to replace Sivozhelez next season. He is a weak link and he doesn't ensure the continuity of their program because of his age and inconsistency.

Pankov is playing better. Klimkin is now very direct with Pankov. I can't understand russian but before he usually leaves him to commit more errors without correcting him. He reminds me of his sister when he makes those stupid decisions. I am attributing that to his need to prove himself but surely with such talent must have a necessary guidance to discover his limits. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited 3 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• Well, I also won't rule out some backstage games, especially when one company has a few teams in the league, but facts are facts. Zenit's rejects beat Zenit :)

We've discussed Dinamo Moscow's problems, now they seem to have scored some important wins in a row and to approach the top 4 spots. And they still used an OH (Kooy) as a MB until recently! Fakel and Kuzbass are obvious, Nova has been indeed the team to talk about lately. However, I would like to briefly discuss Lokomotiv Novosibirsk with powsoff (because he might have some information). I would normally start with one of the biggest problems in any team, Plamen Konstantinov, but given his successful record in the Russian league (and a very decent last season with the same team) and the early stage of the championship, I will leave this argument for now. Lokomotiv is in a possession of a great team. They had Pavlov when Grozer wasn't available, so the latter's absence should not be an excuse. Yet Novosibirsk's only important win so far has been away in Kemerovo. Apart from the surprise package Nova and namely Kuzbass, Novosibirsk played and lost already against most teams with ambitions and quality. Which must be the most negative series they have had in years.

• It does sound suspicious when you have a single sponsor with multiple contracts with teams in a league but the other Zenit did play pretty well that night.

The older Zenit is probably thinking a lot of things with the World Club Championship in the horizon so that thought and the Champions League and Russian Cup as well are maybe what made them lost the focus. Their schedule is really not that heavy. /s :rolll:

#FreeBritney

• Well, I also won't rule out some backstage games, especially when one company has a few teams in the league, but facts are facts. Zenit's rejects beat Zenit :)

We've discussed Dinamo Moscow's problems, now they seem to have scored some important wins in a row and to approach the top 4 spots. And they still used an OH (Kooy) as a MB until recently! Fakel and Kuzbass are obvious, Nova has been indeed the team to talk about lately. However, I would like to briefly discuss Lokomotiv Novosibirsk with powsoff (because he might have some information). I would normally start with one of the biggest problems in any team, Plamen Konstantinov, but given his successful record in the Russian league (and a very decent last season with the same team) and the early stage of the championship, I will leave this argument for now. Lokomotiv is in a possession of a great team. They had Pavlov when Grozer wasn't available, so the latter's absence should not be an excuse. Yet Novosibirsk's only important win so far has been away in Kemerovo. Apart from the surprise package Nova and namely Kuzbass, Novosibirsk played and lost already against most teams with ambitions and quality. Which must be the most negative series they have had in years.

I agree that by looking in the table, Dinamo and Lokomotiv seem to be in a similar position but I have to say, Konstantinov can bring several serious excuses to the table. Firstly, there was only one game in which Novosibirsk seriously screwed up (vs Zenit Spb). Dinamo had some awful time against Fakel and Kuzbass and they won very narrowly against Nova and Ugra. Secondly, Lokomotiv has progressed on three fronts (domestic cup and champions league), whereas Moscow failed the cup campaign pretty badly and didn't need to qualify to ChL.

Thirdly, and perhaps, most importantly, Loko looks as if it has a better potential this season. They've done a by far better summer selection, which purely theoretically may take them further this season. All roster-related stuff goes here: they brought in several key players, who may take time to start playing their best volleyball in Novosibirsk; some of them had injuries too. Of note, Konstantinov played a major role in bringing some (Rodichev) in to Novosibirsk. Dinamo doesn't sound that ambitious and so far it looks like they've screwed up the summer selection. They've lost a first-choice setter and opp and got a third-choice OH and a sick MB instead, not talking about Biryukov and Ilinykh who left them. At the same time, the key people have been there for some time, so they can't say that Antipkin struggles with his MBs because they're all new. Now, let us not forget that the ex-coach was one of the reasons behind the summer changes.

• I agree that by looking in the table, Dinamo and Lokomotiv seem to be in a similar position but I have to say, Konstantinov can bring several serious excuses to the table. Firstly, there was only one game in which Novosibirsk seriously screwed up (vs Zenit Spb). Dinamo had some awful time against Fakel and Kuzbass and they won very narrowly against Nova and Ugra. Secondly, Lokomotiv has progressed on three fronts (domestic cup and champions league), whereas Moscow failed the cup campaign pretty badly and didn't need to qualify to ChL.

Thirdly, and perhaps, most importantly, Loko looks as if it has a better potential this season. They've done a by far better summer selection, which purely theoretically may take them further this season. All roster-related stuff goes here: they brought in several key players, who may take time to start playing their best volleyball in Novosibirsk; some of them had injuries too. Of note, Konstantinov played a major role in bringing some (Rodichev) in to Novosibirsk. Dinamo doesn't sound that ambitious and so far it looks like they've screwed up the summer selection. They've lost a first-choice setter and opp and got a third-choice OH and a sick MB instead, not talking about Biryukov and Ilinykh who left them. At the same time, the key people have been there for some time, so they can't say that Antipkin struggles with his MBs because they're all new. Now, let us not forget that the ex-coach was one of the reasons behind the summer changes.

Thanks for the answer, first of all. But these are all points I consider in Konstantinov's disadvantage. What exactly is a valid excuse for him here? Yes, Novosibirsk have recruited new players, but Grozer was injured, Eksi didn't play/start in all matches, which kind of leaves almost the usual squad they had used (plus Rodichev, ok). Besides, Konstantinov didn't have to convert an OH to play in the middle. I totally agree that Lokomotiv look stronger on paper and have more potential than Dinamo Moscow, for instance, and it might play a part in the long run but so far it hasn't been doing them a favour. Even the fact that Dinamo had a wrong policy and a managerial change, as you hinted, puts them in a better position right now because of the current situation and what they have achieved (end of November 2017).

Regarding performance. I guess you are right, I watched a few games only and in those Dinamo (let's keep the comparison for now, although my initial idea was totally inclined to Loko Novosibirsk only) looked rather poor, whereas Novosibirsk's were decent. However, decent means little when you lose (almost) all of them, right? I am also looking forward to a more solid Novosibirsk side but one thing in particular shouldn't be granted to Plamen Konstantinov - excuses. Time - yes, for sure, but not excuses. He is the master of excuses, I don't know any other professional coach with such excessive usage of those. Also, my opinion, above I didn't read a valid excuse for his team's results so far.

Funny thing, the two teams we unintentially started comparing are in the same CL group and there is a good chance for one of them to focus only on the domestic season afterwards. Still, with the CL schedule mostly featured in 2018, Konstantinov might get the extra time he needs to build his squad until then. But he'd better start doing the same soon in the Russian league, too.

• The Russian Cup semifinals will take place during the weekend in Belgorod. Just 4 teams and no bronze medal game this year.

Semifinals:

Belogorie vs. Kuzbass
    Zenit Kazan vs. Lokomotiv Novosibirsk

• Kemerovo Kuzbass with a blazing start.

Serve has been more effective. They started with Podlenesykh. He used to play sparingly but i haven't been following Kuzbass recently because of the annoying fans and their noisy support. :read: Guy has an arm and it's paying dividends and creating chaos to the defenders of Belogorie. I know Poletaev has a great serve too but when you add the former belogorie player and they are a frightful serving team all at once.

#FreeBritney

• I have to wonder how much age is becoming a factor for Belogorie. Kemerovo is younger. Definitely a faster team. Probably the more powerful team at both ends of the court. Muserskiy is obviously on another level But with the serving prowess being shown today by Kuzbass. He is not influencing the game very much which puts the task of killing the ball on Sergei Tetyukhin(42 y/o) Konstantin Bakun(32 y/o) Tereshchenko is not that old(only 27) but he doesn't seem to fit the phenotype of an offensive hitter in my humble opinion.

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• And Kemerovo gets it done! Is this their first ever final? I have no idea really.

#FreeBritney

• Where can I watch Zenit match?

tvstart.ru

#FreeBritney

• It is hard to resist Kazan's service :what: But they are very vulnerable at receiving.

That's just a small price to pay in order to win. With Leon, Andreson and Mikhailov... You are guaranteed atleast some poiints from a tough pass.

#FreeBritney