Russian Superleague 2017/2018

• Sivozhelez is so bad. Can't attack, can't pass. Such a bad combination for an OH. The fact he is the titular of the group. :white:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Luburic is not having a good overall match but he was doing great in the 3rd set and the assistant coach decided to take him out. Very odd decision.

Sivozhelez on the other hand has been given so much time and he's still playing bad. When taller receivers are passing better than you... That's something to think about.

The passing is just terrible for the other Zenit. Rhythm is going to suffer when setbacks like that happens all the time. I feel like the defenders at the back are just so bad at their job. Sivozhelez the worst offender because he's the one they needed the most to be decent.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• So what's going to happen to the match between Kemerovo and Yugra? Win by default for Kemerovo or just postponed powsoff?

#FreeBritney

• Win by default afaic.

Kemerovo could probably still win but that's a bit unfair for other teams.

I have to say financial difficulties like this are very horrible in Russia because of the geographical and logistical factors involved in the league. Teams from away must buy airline tickets unlike in Italy,Turkey or Poland. You probably just need a club-owned bus vehicle while the bigger teams can always afford to travel through airports. Maybe there's something that can be done to fix it. Playing in Russia is like playing in a european tournament. That's not cheap when it's gameday every week and I believe the league should atleast try helping Yugra for the sake of fairness and humanity.

#FreeBritney

• Kemerovo could probably still win but that's a bit unfair for other teams.

I have to say financial difficulties like this are very horrible in Russia because of the geographical and logistical factors involved in the league. Teams from away must buy airline tickets unlike in Italy,Turkey or Poland. You probably just need a club-owned bus vehicle while the bigger teams can always afford to travel through airports. Maybe there's something that can be done to fix it. Playing in Russia is like playing in a european tournament. That's not cheap when it's gameday every week and I believe the league should atleast try helping Yugra for the sake of fairness and humanity.

Kemerovo has roster in top 5 of the league - yes, they could have won indeed. Driving from Nizhnevartovsk to Kemerovo is equivalent to a commute from Vienna to Lisbon - but this is at -20C, in the middle of nowhere. Trust me, no matter how big your team is, you have to fly, in Russia. A way out is to move all teams to Moscow and play in there :).

Re help from the league: the trouble is that volleyball life is overall much more short-sighted than in any other sport. You get quite a bit of support from local bosses that can be withdrawn at will, and this is the state of the situation in every club. Now, would e.g. Belgorod authorities be OK with Belogorie paying for Nizhnevartovsk plane tickets? What perhaps matters here is that Nizhnevartovsk as a city is doing very well economically, this is where the oil comes from.

• Belogorie showing class tonight.

I still feel they are lacking something to compete against a Zenit team at their best but the serve is fantastic. That campfire in the third set was very funny. Just too many mistakes for Zenit. :lol:

Butko-Mikhailov connection is not looking great. I don't think Alekno trusts his son to do the job either so he's stuck with Butko.

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• Tie-break: Belogorie Belgorod 8-4 Zenit Kazan

#FreeBritney

• Belogorie showing class tonight.

I still feel they are lacking something to compete against a Zenit team at their best but the serve is fantastic. That campfire in the third set was very funny. Just too many mistakes for Zenit. :lol:

Butko-Mikhailov connection is not looking great. I don't think Alekno trusts his son to do the job either so he's stuck with Butko.

Belgorod were clearly practicing the serves instead of celebrating, which sounds a bit cruel :). I also like the moment when Panteleymonenko and Alexeev emerge onto the pitch - together with Verbov's shaved head looks like a new episode of Prison Break. Alexeev is a peculiar character, looks absolutely organic in his Lonsdale Errea trackies.

The tie-breaker is hot... Alekno's moderately angry. I like how Belgorod plays against Leon. Bogomolov-coach growing on me. But this is not over yet.

• Belgorod were clearly practicing the serves instead of celebrating, which sounds a bit cruel :). I also like the moment when Panteleymonenko and Alexeev emerge onto the pitch - together with Verbov's shaved head looks like a new episode of Prison Break. Alexeev is a peculiar character, looks absolutely organic in his Lonsdale Errea trackies.

The tie-breaker is hot... Alekno's moderately angry. I like how Belgorod plays against Leon. Bogomolov-coach growing on me. But this is not over yet.

Anderson is not far behind with his best impression of Walter White from Breaking Bad. :rolll:

#FreeBritney

• And Belogorie ends the match with an attack from Bakun.

Bakun did not play that well. The efficient attackers were from the old man and Tereshchenko. I guess the coach only put him there for the block(sure needs a hell of blocker to stop Leon and they did). Still very nice of him inflicting the coup de grace of Zenit Kazan. Great win for Belogorie and also snatching the top spot of Russian Superleague

#FreeBritney

• Dinamo Moscow 2-0 Belogorie Belgorod

#FreeBritney

• Muserskiy's pipe attack. I waw surprised. Good luck blocking that. :rolll:

Still a big win for Dinamo Moscow and Zenit Kazan takes back the crown of the league because of that upset. What a short reign for Belogorie. Not even taking it to a tie break is a hard slap to the face.

#FreeBritney

• Great win for Moscow of course, but Berezhko had to go off the court in the second set because of an injury. I dont know about the seriousness though. Grozer did not play for Novosibirsk against Yaroslavl, anybody knows if he is injured again or just a security measure due to some exhaustion/fatigue or so?

• Great win for Moscow of course, but Berezhko had to go off the court in the second set because of an injury. I dont know about the seriousness though. Grozer did not play for Novosibirsk against Yaroslavl, anybody knows if he is injured again or just a security measure due to some exhaustion/fatigue or so?

Berezhko was able to walk after the game although the condition is not absolutely clear. Grozer (and Eksi) practiced together with the rest of the team although had personalised physio session. Grozer was holding his shoulder, Eksi has issues with his knee. I think Loko kept Grozer off the pitch in view of the Belgorod and ChL games.

• Brother Pankov's injury might be a cause of worry for Zenit St. Petersburg. The expression on his face after his ankle got iced was not good. I hope he comes back soon and that injury is nothing serious.

I would even say I will nominate him as Russia's next titular setter. Grankin is not his spectacular self anymore. Pankov brings so many things on the table for the other Zenit. Even though the setting can be disastrous sometimes... he is a great player and could be the player to surpass all setters in the world(if he fixes his setting.)

#FreeBritney

• I cannot believe Zenit St. Petersburg won the match. Theoretically they should've lost with what they've shown. I think Ufa played as the better team but the service pressure from the other Zenit was just something they cannot handle and although they were also able to raise the ball and Zenit SPB made some stupid mistakes that allowed longer rallies to keep them in the game. :lol:

Pankov was a disaster with his setting(probably not 100% yet after his injury) in the first two sets. Luburic probably only got 1 or 2 kills during those sets. Everybody were probably blocked besides the libero haha.

The third set could've been won too but the pass, the attack and especially the SERVE were not there.

Klimkin had to make changes and eureka Luburic played better with another setter but their problems were just bigger than Luburic's attacking problem so the set was lost with Klimkim resting all the starters except Sivozhelez and Zelenkov. He also had to put Pankov back because Shulgin started to make worse decisions and the serve/block was also fundamentally better with him.

The fourth was just a repeat of the first two sets but with an improved offense so it became an easier way to close the match.

I must say this is the second game in a row when Sivozhelez is the most important player. I am quite impressed with his play and I hope it continues.

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• What must have impressed you were the block-defense from Ural (credit to Bagnoli!) and Kovalev's setting, which indeed makes a very good impression. The problem is that on the personal level Ural is a no-star team; I would rank the roster as something in between Ugra and Yenisey. Kovalev and Feoktistov (who scored tons of transition balls vs 2- or 3-men blocks) could carry them for some time but there are no "big guns" there. I agree, they screwed up their service in set 1, which essentially gave the set to Zenit Spb. But then in set 4 it was reception that let Ural down. Sivozhelez did have a good game but to me it was Camejo and Pankov's serving that were critical for Spb.

Interesting game in Novosibirsk. I have to say, this could have gone to Fakel, had this been played anywhere outside Novosibirsk. The refs gave the hosts several funny points to save the a**e of their head coach. Feels like the chair is slightly rocking under Konstantinov at the moment, he's being publicly criticised by several people with an access to the insider info. The ChL gains do win some credit and so does the fact that Loko doesn't look like a complete disaster on the pitch but... Had they lost today to Fakel, Novosibirsk would have gone below the play-off zone and there would have been some reaction.

Kazan gave away a set to Kuzbass at home but then destroyed the opponent in set 4 so badly that Alekno dared replacing Leon with Verbov on a permanent basis. Verbov managed to score against two blocks from the front court sparking some laughter from the audience. Another interesting point is that Podlesnykh (ex-setter turned an OH) who struggled for a place in the roster in Belgorod last year, has slowly drifted into the starting six in Kemerovo. That was predictable, as Yaroslav clearly has excellent coordination and looks very strong physically. Belgorod may regret, to some extent.

• I want to continue the discussion about the Russian league here because the transfers section will soon get flooded with no real transfers news :)

What are the rumours in Russia regarding Konstantinov's future? If you read my post from the end of November, we will see that not much has really changed at Lokomotiv's side. Also, based on powsoff's post, I have to say that for the first time I hear about Grozer having problems with a coach anywhere. Pavlov is Kontantinov's favourite, Zhigalov will surely be a sub at the beginning at least. I guess if there was tension (and also pressure to always start with Grozer) between the German opposite and his coach, now Konstantinov will be free to start with Pavlov more. Novosibirsk's position in the table hasn't changed, they made it through the CL group phase, probably Konstantinov's only success so far with the team, but Lokomotiv got seriously ridiculed last week in Poland. So, either their management are suddenly alright with the mediocrity they have been experiencing and letting Grozer go was a sign of waving the white flag (probably cashing in indeed, as per powsoff) and demonstrating their patience regarding the head coach, or they must be getting increasingly irritated.