Tokyo 2020 Qualification rules

• I do not understand your way of thinking.

I do not see difference as most probably the same number of CEV teams can be qualified but please think twice.

Best three teams from WQT will be qualified let say each from other continent (1x Norceca, 1x CSV and 1x CEV), three other best teams can get tickets from 3 FIVB tournaments (I bet 3 x CEV) and finally one more can be added via continental tournament (one more from CEV). It means 5 CEV but the last CEV ticket can be granted for non qualified team (at least 4 strong European teams are already excluded). In the past it was the other way max 1-2 CEV teams got tickets and Continental tournament was second chance for most of teams and it was too difficult for middle class teams as strong Russia, Italy, France, Poland or Serbia participated. These middle class CEV teams have no chance to participate in any other step of OG qualification due to low ranking.

Unfortunately, FIVB is such unpredictable ...

It is very simple;

If the continental championship will be held first: Most likely USA, BRA, CHN, SRB and Kenya will qualify. Other top European teams such as ITA, NED and TUR will get top 3 position in World Cup (or whatever FIVB wants to call it). 3 other positions can go to other CEV teams such as RUS, AZE, POL (GER or BEL or even BUL with their full roster). With this order, there can be 7 strong European teams in OG. However, if World Cup is held before continental tournaments, CHN, USA and BRA will get the 3 spot (SRB might grab BRA's slot indeed). Then, THA, DOM and ARG will win their continental tournaments. This means only 3 spots will be left. Even these 3 will be taken by european teams there will be only 4 CEV teams in total. Thus, the order of the tournament will make a big difference in the composition of qualified teams

• It is very simple;

If the continental championship will be held first: Most likely USA, BRA, CHN, SRB and Kenya will qualify. Other top European teams such as ITA, NED and TUR will get top 3 position in World Cup (or whatever FIVB wants to call it). 3 other positions can go to other CEV teams such as RUS, AZE, POL (GER or BEL or even BUL with their full roster). With this order, there can be 7 strong European teams in OG. However, if World Cup is held before continental tournaments, CHN, USA and BRA will get the 3 spot (SRB might grab BRA's slot indeed). Then, THA, DOM and ARG will win their continental tournaments. This means only 3 spots will be left. Even these 3 will be taken by european teams there will be only 4 CEV teams in total. Thus, the order of the tournament will make a big difference in the composition of qualified teams

Forget about such changes first tournament (World Cup or other name) will be the first one as FIVB needs motivated teams and strong competition.

There might be (I guess) only possible change between 3 world FIVB tournaments and continental qualifications.

• IMHO the best solution would be what was the plan of the CEV president, using the continental championships (not continental qualification tournament) to assign a spot for every continent. At the moment the continental championships are less important than a random qualification tournament for the Olympic games, which is absurd.

Of course, they would have to move the dates of the continental tournaments within reasonable distance after the World Cup replacement to avoid participants playing completely gassed out (remember the France-Slovenia final). To be honest I don't see anything improved, just the destruction of the World Cup (reschedule it in any European country, it would be packed with spectators) after the destruction of the World League/World Grand Prix brands. And why on Earth doesn't the World Championships automatically qualify to Tokyo? It works this way in every other sport in the world.

This would allow: 3 best teams in the world from World Cup; 1 world champion; 1 host; 5 continental champions qualifying; 2 tournaments left, preventing another Mexico or Puerto Rico.

• IMHO the best solution would be what was the plan of the CEV president, using the continental championships (not continental qualification tournament) to assign a spot for every continent. At the moment the continental championships are less important than a random qualification tournament for the Olympic games, which is absurd.

Of course, they would have to move the dates of the continental tournaments within reasonable distance after the World Cup replacement to avoid participants playing completely gassed out (remember the France-Slovenia final). To be honest I don't see anything improved, just the destruction of the World Cup (reschedule it in any European country, it would be packed with spectators) after the destruction of the World League/World Grand Prix brands. And why on Earth doesn't the World Championships automatically qualify to Tokyo? It works this way in every other sport in the world.

This would allow: 3 best teams in the world from World Cup; 1 world champion; 1 host; 5 continental champions qualifying; 2 tournaments left, preventing another Mexico or Puerto Rico.

I fully agree !

Today, local press informed as per Mr Przedpelski (Polish member of FIVB) interview - there will be TWO steps of qualification :

1/ August 2019 - 6 tournaments each four teams selected as per FIVB ranking serpentine system = 6 tickets

2/ 5 continental tournaments/championsips = 5 tickets

/for CEV looks like seperate tournament to ECH as CEV do not want to have OG qualifier in place 4-5 in ECH - eight teams non qualified - tournament in January 2020/

World Cup is planned for November 2019 - I do not see reason to participate for teams non qualified by first step. It might be too difficult to be well prepared for WC and Continental qualification !

• They need to make up their minds. This is ridiculous. Most sports have established the qualifying procedure for Tokyo long ago.

I suspect finding a host for that World Cup replacement tournament might be problematic. It's a very long tournament, with a lot of games, organizing it is probably a big logistical hassle, and if the home team doesn't qualify, you've essentially wasted a lot of money for nothing. So I imagine not a lot of countries would be too enthusiastic about hosting it.

It should all be so much simpler. The World champions goes through directly, continental champions go through directly, and there's one additional qualifying round for the rest. But as we all know, the FIVB live by the motto "Why simple when it can be complicated?!"

• I agree with everything JoanaBG said except for the hometeam argument: I can't remember the last time Japan qualified through it (if ever), and even then the advantage of hosting the tournament is usually for improving the overall qualification chances rather than having an financial reason. Nobody cares about volleyball in Germany yet they hosted very crowded Olympics qualification tournament 3 times in a row, for example. Even if the home team sucks... there's literally half of Europe willing to travel anywhere in reasonable distance to watch the matches.

And then you have the genius masterminds organizing the ECH in Georgia in front of 50 spectators and do on.

• FIVB has released the new qualification system for Tokyo 2020.

World Cup wont be anymore a tournment which works as qualifier.

There would be just 2 qualification events:

First, there will be six Intercontinental Olympic Qualification Tournments (IOQT). All of them must be held in 2019. Who will be the participants? The 24 highest ranked teams as per the FIVB World Ranking as for January 1st 2019. In this case the 25 th ranked team participates because Japan is already in as host.

These 24 teams shall be placed into six pools of four team each using the serpentine system. The highest placed team of each pool will one berth for the Olympics.

Second, there will be 5 Continental Olympic Qualification Tournments (COQT). They will be held in 2020.

We already know this system. One berth for each confederation.

Of course, the teams which have already obtained a quota place through an IOQT will not be able to participate in the COQT of their respective Confederation.

• This is the official regulation from FIVB webpage :

http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyb…System_Volleyball_eng.pdf

Now, we must wait for uptade the world rankings

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• I like this, even if the serpentine will create some harder groups than others. The current WCH becomes even more important to climb the rankings.

Now please one minute of silence for poor vabochan who passed away today.

• I think Turkey might be in danger, they probably would end up with either China or Serbia.=O And Netherlands may join Italy.:cursing:

Turkey is not a top 24 men's volleyball NT in the rankings and China is still a rising team in the international competition.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I like this, even if the serpentine will create some harder groups than others. The current WCH becomes even more important to climb the rankings.

Now please one minute of silence for poor vabochan who passed away today.

Why? World Cup will be in autumn 2019 and I think FIVB has a lot of arguments to persuade best players and teams to taking part in this traditional and unique competition

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• Why? World Cup will be in autumn 2019 and I think FIVB has a lot of arguments to persuade best players and teams to taking part in this traditional and unique competition

I thought World Cup disappears entirely? I mean, who would even play it without any Olympic ticket and with the World Olympic tournament right after?

• There'll be ranking points, I think.

This would make sense, but there's the risk of another useless tournament just like the VNL right in the way of the Olympic qualification process. And we know all teams that peaked at the VNL bombed catastrophically at the WCH.

Also, will the continental championships earn any FIVB ranking point? As of now they don't.

• This would make sense, but there's the risk of another useless tournament just like the VNL right in the way of the Olympic qualification process. And we know all teams that peaked at the VNL bombed catastrophically at the WCH.

Also, will the continental championships earn any FIVB ranking point? As of now they don't.

I guess not. They only count World Cup, WCH, Olympics and GP(VNL). I think it makes sense, because the level is so unbalanced between all these continents. If they were to count continental championships as well, you might see some weak teams from Africa or Asia rank before some stronger teams.

FIVB is so lazy, their ranking page hasn't been updated since last year...

I heard women's first qualification tournament would be held in January, 2019, not sure if it's true.

• Fivb is probably waiting till the end of the WCH to officially announce the OG qualification process.

I agree they have to wait , calculate final ranking, select event. hosts of international tournaments and … announce it !

What I really hate - continental championships will be useless to get good result. Most of the teams unqualified will be fully concentrated to get ticket in continental tournament.