Tokyo 2020 Qualification rules

Also, will the continental championships earn any FIVB ranking point? As of now they don't.

As of now, Fivb hasn't updated world ranking since July 2017. So I guess, they still don't know what to do exactly. Giving world ranking points for an invitational tournament like VNL sounds a bit shady to me, so i could see a reentry of continental championships. But as its the FIVB, it will most probably stay like this.

A projection on the world ranking after WCH, compiled by our fellow user Brahmin, can be found on Volleymob site.

• Giving world ranking points for an invitational tournament like VNL sounds a bit shady to me, so i could see a reentry of continental championships.

If you say "VNL an invitational tournament" how they counted World League or WGP into FIVB ranking ?

I remember so many "strange" decisions in history of FIVB so everything is possible ...

• If you say "VNL an invitational tournament" how they counted World League or WGP into FIVB ranking ?

I remember so many "strange" decisions in history of FIVB so everything is possible ...

WGP and World League weren't fully invitational tournaments as it is the case with VNL. There were qualifiaction to WGP and so on and so forth, that is why the points to the ranking were counted. As far as I know there will be no points for VNL to the ranking (it was decided when they created this competation) but with FIVB everything is possible.

• It is possible that Poland will have to face Serbia during the first tournament and Italy will have France in their group. As a consequence one of the four teams will not qualify for the OG.

I'm quite sure that ranking will suit to not to let two strong teams play in the same group. Maybe VNL winner will get 100 points this time :lol:

• Hey, long time lurker, first time poster here

Quite sad that Italy/France Poland/Serbia situation. I suppose it will be Serbia to miss out, although won't be surprised if it turns out to be Poland, knowing on/off they can be. Would be messed up for world champion to not qualify for the Olympics.

What makes this annoying is that Canada and Argentina will be in the same group, which will just create a spot for a mediocre team from North or South America to qualify.

• Hey, long time lurker, first time poster here

Quite sad that Italy/France Poland/Serbia situation. I suppose it will be Serbia to miss out, although won't be surprised if it turns out to be Poland, knowing on/off they can be. Would be messed up for world champion to not qualify for the Olympics.

What makes this annoying is that Canada and Argentina will be in the same group, which will just create a spot for a mediocre team from North or South America to qualify.

That pool as it currently stands in the projected rankings it looks like Canada, Argentina, Slovenia and the Netherlands. I feel nearly any of those teams could finish top! That would at least be a very interesting tournament.

• So as of now (with the World Cup points), Italy and Poland will get respectively one of Serbia or France in their group of World qualification. Inevitably one of these four will be eliminated from Tokyo 2020. Italy might be the one not making it I'm afraid, but it could really be anyone, as we learned from previous qualification tournaments going crazy with home advantages (remember Poland being 1 match point away from being eliminated by Germany).

Brazil again ridiculously advantaged by the serpentine system, also carrying points from 2011 World Cup (7 years ago!). Do we have any projections without the World Cup points at all?

• Have heard from people in Poland and Australia that VNL will not award points in the next FIVB rankings. In my mind, it is wrong to not do that as it is the biggest tournament every year. If they do not use VNL, I would hope that they bring back continental championship points.

So right now it appears that Olympics, World Championships and World Cup would be the only points given at the beginning of 2019.

• Have heard from people in Poland and Australia that VNL will not award points in the next FIVB rankings. In my mind, it is wrong to not do that as it is the biggest tournament every year. If they do not use VNL, I would hope that they bring back continental championship points.

I see your point but how to explain this to nations like Belgium and Slovenia which, by pretty randomly standards, were stripped of their chance to participate in this competition to which they qualified by "the old" rules?!

So right now it appears that Olympics, World Championships and World Cup would be the only points given at the beginning of 2019.

I sincerly hope this won't happen. Germany would fall out of "top24".......:whistle:

Well then I can imagine the whole tournament won't be more than a U23 or even U21 preparation tournament. You can't convince any top players to play in such a demanding tournament with 0 prestige :down:

• From the woman's thread

According to polish federation it is decided that to the new rankings following tournaments will be counted: World Cup 2015, Olympic Games 2016, World Grand Prix 2017 and WCH 2018.

In the men's ranking it will be World League 2017.

So no VNL but World Grand Prix and World League 2017, where the number of teams was higher.

Without doing all the math, imo it is still safe to say that, under these rules, Germany would fall out of Top24. Who would have thought that opting out of World League in 2015 would still have an impact today.:wavy:

So lets see then, what kind of tournament CEV will organise......

• New World ranking and the groups should be more or less like that:

Dr-fbnwWwAcYAQK.jpg

I don't know how to allocate teams with the same points so I stuck with the highest ranking on the last WCH in case they will award points separately for all of the places.

• Pool A- acceptable for the top seed. I want an upset for Bulgaria but wishful thinking is just too much. It's their biggest chance to make the olympics considering the bloodiness that will happen in the european qualification.

Pool B- looks moderately tough for USA. Belgium and Slovenia can be challenging as any european teams of decent level.

Pool C- acceptable for Italy and Serbia considering their mediocre results in the last two years. Unfortunate for the other team who have to play for the european qualification.

Netherlands and Australia can be a pain for both teams. Both are young rising teams. You can never count them out.

Pool D- Mess for both Poland and France and definitely a messier ordeal for France. Welcoming Leon and world champion Poland is just a terrible nightmare that waiting to happen. One good thing for France is they are the best receiving team in the world, if they can limit Poland's serve, I think they'll have a chance to return to the olympics but spells doom to the other european teams if Poland have to play in the European qualifications. I think most of the teams in bound for it are hoping France to lose. :gone:

Pool E- If Iran makes an upset, asian NTs will sigh a deep breath of relief but Russia should easily win this because it'll shake up the european qualification even more than it should supposed to

Pool G- Seems the most balanced pool to me. I think any team can beat each other in this pool. Canada is strongest on paper but they are not that too strong for most of these teams. I just don't know how will they adjust with a new coach. Argentina under Mendez is interesting. China is an evolving team and Cuba always unpredictable with their youth.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• As World rankings are present http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyball/VB_Ranking_M_2018-10.asp see pools :

1/ Brazil/Egypt/Bulgaria/Puerto Rico

2/ USA/Belgium/Netherlands/Korea

3/ Italy/Serbia/Australia/Cameroon

4/ Poland/France/Slovenia/Tunisia

5/ Russia/Iran/Cuba/Mexico

6/ Canada/Argentina/Finland/China

Most balanced pool 6, most difficult 2,3 and 4.

• I don't think the USA will have any troubles with their pool. Brazil, on the other hand, might face a big challenge against Bulgaria, especially given the latest results between both teams in the last two VNL/WL and with Sokolov back. Pools 3 and 4 are the most interesting imo.

• FIVB will do a draw for teams with the same points. So you are right in putting two teams in the same spots.

Brazil is getting older, but they'll take their pool easily. USA and Russia, look like locks for their positions. Poland/France and Italy/Serbia will be entertaining. Canada should take Argentina out.

Right now my look at the other 11 teams after hosts Japan.

Brazil, USA, Italy, Poland, Russia, Canada. First Round of Qualifiers

Egypt, Iran, Cuba, Argentina, France/Serbia in Continentals.

• FIVB will do a draw for teams with the same points. So you are right in putting two teams in the same spots.

Brazil is getting older, but they'll take their pool easily. USA and Russia, look like locks for their positions. Poland/France and Italy/Serbia will be entertaining. Canada should take Argentina out.

I wouldn't be so sure. Canada won't have Antiga anymore and Argentina will have Marcelo Mendez. I can easily see Argentina winning their pool.