Russia - Superliga 2017/18

• The russian league is unfortunately not that exciting. It also is becoming weaker with only ten teams left for the highest division. It has dwindled to mediocrity with only two good teams that can compete at the top of european competitions. Proof is Yenisey not qualifying for the champions league group stage. Such a far cry from the men's league.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• The russian league is unfortunately not that exciting. It also is becoming weaker with only ten teams left for the highest division. It has dwindled to mediocrity with only two good teams that can compete at the top of european competitions. Proof is Yenisey not qualifying for the champions league group stage. Such a far cry from the men's league.

In the league Krasnoyarsk is on the same height in the table currently as Kazan and Moscow. So we have to wait, how this proceeds - and the surprise team Maritza Plovdiv, which eliminated them from CL, can be considered as dark horse there and we will see, how they perform in pool stage now.

• In the league Krasnoyarsk is on the same height in the table currently as Kazan and Moscow. So we have to wait, how this proceeds - and the surprise team Maritza Plovdiv, which eliminated them from CL, can be considered as dark horse there and we will see, how they perform in pool stage now.

I want to agree but the Russian Federation did offer Volero Zurich to play in the Russian League. That tells us how much the league declined from its glory years. If I am to hazard a guess. Saratov and Odintsovo are potential teams that could breathe new life to this lifeless league. Their success is the key to reviving the interest to women's volleyball in Russia. I am not saying it's dead but I could live without this league until the playoffs. Any competitive rivalry that could spring out from these teams is a nice change from what has been expected.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• So Odintsovo lost all the 4 "big matches" against the big teams in the league for the first round. After a very strong start... they faltered. I wonder if the other weaker teams could see through their game. Pankova plays really well when she's not under pressure but the moment the pass is not good... she becomes very predictable. Her reverse setting really... I feel like that needs work the most. Everyone can tell where she's going.

Anyway...

I am particularly impressed with Urarlochka's Romanova. I think with Karpol... Let's hope she becomes fine-tuned to the fast game that this team is good with. Russia could be hoping for this girl to mature. She doesn't seem athletic when you look at her physique but she is sneakily agile. She plays enough with the middle blockers which is something noteworthy. Urachloka's passing was terrible but she seems okay and not nervous. Still not as strong as Startseva but maybe that could be worked upon in the future.

#FreeBritney

Edited 4 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• I missed this but if the game is boring then I'm out.

#FreeBritney

• A rather easy win for Kazan against Proton, so the final tomorrow is as expected Kazan vs. Krasnoyarsk. While Kazan is the favourite there, they have to take care, because Krasnoyarsk is all but an easy opponent.

• Vetrova going exclusively to Goncharova in the 4th set. :rolll:

I don't know what happened to the first two sets but that was really painful distribution from Vetrova. :rolll:

Hard to blame her fully for it. Scherban is not hitting any better.

#FreeBritney

• Some surprises today, especially the win of St.Petersburg in Krasnoyarsk in four sets, but with the same result the other Sibirian team Ekaterinburg lost at home to Proton.

The question of the table lead is now clarified, after Kazan won in four sets against Moscow: Kazan has now pretty good chances to make it as top seed to the playoffs.

Finally the disaster of Krasnodar continues: they lead 2:0 at home, but once more lost finally in tie-break against Sachalinsk and stay without any win so far.

• I hope for a semi final in CEV cup of our Stuttgart team against Uralochka Ekaterinburg. If we win against them, I fully agree to you :) .

I'm not so sure it's a good idea to meet them: Karpol sent the youth team to the Cup of Russia F4. I don't see him doing the same in the CEV Cup. History says he doesn't care about the national cup (his team never made it to the final, even when they were champions of Russia and Europe in their golden age), but european cups are another story. Anyway Stuttgart has a good team and can deal with almost every team in this tournament.

• If Italian clubs can still be successful with too many foreigners in the league. I don't see how that cannot be the same for Russia. Just add another slot to the team. 3 foreigners will be fine for me. That should be punishment for the clubs for underperformances. It's also great to expose the native players to other players or system they may never see in Russia outside of the national team.

The only issue are the coaches. They are all the same so the results will all be the same each year. Maybe they should get foreigners to run the clubs?

I also have no idea about the budget of each team so that could be a problem like how Dinamo Krasnodar collapsed under its own weight. I guess the government have to support it until the league is able to compete without the need for foreigners which could be difficult given the sactions in place against Russia.

#FreeBritney

• Ekaterina Polyakova from Leningradka St. Petersburg did something truly remarkable yesterday against Dinamo Krasnodar, where her team lost two sets to three, when she achieved a perfect spike ratio, 100% success rate, in 16 attempts; 16 from 16 and on top of that she had six kill blocks and one ace for a total of 23 points. Not bad for a middle blocker.