Russia - Superliga 2017/18

• actually the "condition of traffic" in Istanbul isnt that "light" as you thought..lol

It looks lightspeeds faster when you compare it to the distance between Moscow and Sakhalin.

:wavy:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• oh i got it wrong..i didnt think you meant distance..i just wanted to say traffic in ıstanbul was pretty bad..the distance amonsgt the teams cities must be pretty close in comparison with the russion ones

• I agree that the top 2 team are "too strong" for the league but think you are missing a crucial point. The main reason that the Russian league is weaker is the Russian economy. The US and European sanctions gave a blow to the industry and weakend the currency. With Omsk and (almost) Krasnodar the league lost 2 former top 5 teams because of financial problems. Even Kazana and Moscow seem to have less money (smaller, weaker squads... Moscow did not replace De la Cruz and Poljak...).

To point 1: I don't think that travel is that big of deal. The KHL has far more games and they are able to get foreigners. Volleyball players are used to travel (in the VNL they play in 5 Cities in 5 weeks on different continents). I think cultural differences and the language have a bigger effect on the decision to play in Russia than travel. I welcome the addition of Sakhalin (did pretty well considering it was their second year) and Kaliningrad (should be able to make top 5).

To point 2: Relocating a team to Moscow or Kazan doesn't make any sense. Teams have local sponsors and supporters which you lose if you leave. Again it is just a matter of money. If you find sponsors you can start a new club anywhere...

To point 3: This doesn't seem to be relevant at the moment. As long as the currency is that weak and volatile it is not feasable to see a lot of clubs being able to pay foreign players. At the moment we have around 15 foreigners (most of which are Belorissian or Ukrainian and they might not even count as foreigners...) and they are not necessarily top players (except for Kazan)... Moscow and Uralochka had only 1 foreigner (I think Gendel might even have a Russian passport). As long as the financial situation is as bad as it is at the moment the addition of more foreigners will not have a big influence or might make the rich clubs even stronger.

I don't think that the league has to change at the moment. The only thing I would like to see is that Minsk would join the league. With the addition of Kaliningrad that would certainly improve the competition...

• I think, sanctions were and are often overestimated in influence in Russia. What Russia really hurts, is the low prize of oil and gas, because they rely mainly on those to make their (international) income. But of course, the budgets of Russian teams were shrinking, and some teams like Krasnodar suffered especially from it.

• Part 1:

I actually agree about your point on economy. I just feel it is not important to the discussion as there are a lot of foreign players who are not that expensive but decides not to play in Russia.

I do agree language and cultural differences is a nuisance but which country isn't? I still think travel is a big deal. Most women are naturally inclined to relationships. It is very important especially if you're living far from home. Most foreign players also make friends with other competing foreign players. One of the reasons for that is their association to living and working/playing in a foreign country. It is after all a lonely country especially if you are the only non-local in your team. With the 2 foreign player in court limit per team in Russia, it is easier to feel depressed about it and sometimes you need to talk about your problems but can't cause you don't want to become the problem child of the team.

Women's volleyball you know, it sometimes an emotional roller coaster. I think that should be considered to make Russia more appealing to foreigners. I feel that's one of the reasons why Turkish,Poland and Italian league are more attractive to foreign players. Geography is the advantage. It is easier to find something common in those leagues which Russia has none because distance is not a drastic factor for relationship.

KHL is a bad comparison in my opinion. Men will always be with their brothers in the team and competitive in nature that minor differences are usually forgotten for the game. I also feel men in general are more liberal when it comes to foreigners. I think that's because men usually have the same hobbies no matter what nation they came from. Soccer, women, NBA, entertainment or even gaming ummm Fortnite, let me guess! :gone:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• All your sexist comments are just bullshit stereotypes :aww:

• I think there's barely enough interest in Moscow to sustain one club, let alone several. The days of instant tycoon/state-funded clubs popping up overnight are gone. We've seen how it went down in Baku.

What's really hindering the league is the 2-foreigner rule, because no matter how much you invest, you simply cannot make a team that's going to be competitive on the European level year in and year out, so there's really not much point in investing at all.

• All your sexist comments are just bullshit stereotypes :aww:

So are you saying stereotypes aren't real especially in a country as conservative as russia? :rolll:

#FreeBritney

• I think there's barely enough interest in Moscow to sustain one club, let alone several. The days of instant tycoon/state-funded clubs popping up overnight are gone. We've seen how it went down in Baku.

What's really hindering the league is the 2-foreigner rule, because no matter how much you invest, you simply cannot make a team that's going to be competitive on the European level year in and year out, so there's really not much point in investing at all.

Is the 2 foreigner rule new? Last year Dinamo Moscow had Poljak, de la Cruz and Crncevic.

• The amount of sexism :down: :aww:

• I assume the foreigner limit will not apply for them? Or will it be like "only two non-Belarus players" for them?

This makes sense, to play in Russia and they had only Belorus players in the roster at last, so there must be a special regulation for them (or maybe due to past configurations there is already such or a similar rule?). - This raises the interesting question, where Minsk will play in European cups. As champion there they have formally the right to play in qualification of CL due to valid European cups ranking for the season coming - are they still eligible when now playing in a different league? Case is different from Volero, which switched the league by using a French license of existing club there next season.

• Belarus club, Minsk will play in Russian SuperLeague next year.

• Due to official Chinese state TV volleyball.it reports, that Dynamo Kazan made an offer of 2 million Euro for Zhu Ting - the offer from VakifBank shall be 1.7 million Euro in comparison. As German Bundesliga/VBL follower I can hardly believe it, but it is likely true anyway - another world...

• Does anybody know the exact teams composition of season 2018/2019? So far I know there will be at least the following teams: Moscow, Kazan, Ekaterinburg, Krasnoyarsk, Odintsovo, Proton, Juschno Sachalinsk and Leningradka St.Petersburg from this season, and also Chelyabinsk, newly formed team Lokomotiv Kaliningrad (former Königsberg) and Belorus team Minsk, but no more Krasnodar, which was by far the worst team in this season - is there any team coming from Vishaya league A also?