2017 AVC Asian Men's Championship | Indonesia

• What is the largest problem?
    Before the qualification of WCH, the time of answering it is too little.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• I have nothing to say about the match because it's Korea who won against them.
    But what about Indonesia winning against Iran(Their U-23 team is competing). Posting it here because there's no thread about ACH.

So Simply: The points of World Rankings "say goodbye" to Continental Championships.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Pool A

Indonesia
    Qatar
    Kazakhstan
    Saudi Arabia

Pool B

Iran
    Chinese Taipei
    Pakistan
    Iraq

Pool C

Japan
    South Korea
    Vietnam
    Sri Lanka

Pool D

Australia
    China
    Thailand
    Hong Kong

• Now we finally have a topic for the Asian Men's Championship. I couldn't follow the tournament and only recently found out about Iran's problems, including the expulsion of Gholami. I read they might have been playing with the U23 team, still Gholami is part of the senior one and losing to Indonesia, hosts or not, sounds a bit too much. Australia got thrashed heavily by Japan (again) in the quarterfinals. Kazakhstan made it to the final :| I would value some information about other surprises, B teams or juniors taking part instead of seniors, and the tournament overall because, you know, stats do not say it all.

• Japan basically took their top team. They are trying to get as much volleyball in them before 2020. Yes, they did lose to the South Koreans in 5 sets in the Preliminary Round, but they had already qualified for the Top Group in the 2nd Round.
    Still they've gotten the job done.

Indonesia's upset of Iran was a little shocking. But it is the Iran under 23 side, so maybe not. However, Iran outscored them by 6 points, which means that should have won, so they were unlucky.

South Korea are using this as a preparation for the World Championship Qualifiers. But the loss to Kazakhstan in the semis reminds me why they are behind Iran, China and Japan. 2 set lead and outscored them by 15 points. They go on to lose in 5, still outscored them by 3. I think Iran and China get the final 2 spots for 2018.

• Now we finally have a topic for the Asian Men's Championship. I couldn't follow the tournament and only recently found out about Iran's problems, including the expulsion of Gholami. I read they might have been playing with the U23 team, still Gholami is part of the senior one and losing to Indonesia, hosts or not, sounds a bit too much. Australia got thrashed heavily by Japan (again) in the quarterfinals. Kazakhstan made it to the final :| I would value some information about other surprises, B teams or juniors taking part instead of seniors, and the tournament overall because, you know, stats do not say it all.

The expulsion of Gholami is another story , that happened in Tehran during the training after a verbal fight with Mousavi and not in Indonesia, the team in Indonesia was U23 coached by Juan Cichello

5th place is acutely a "good" result for this Iranian team . they were not even the complete U23 team without Manavinejad and Karimi. but that was unbelievable to beat Australia, China and Chinese Taipei to lose a semifinal berth to Indonesia :wacko: , Iran won 2 sets easily and had good lead in both 3rd and 4th sets but lost both sets narrowly at the end. probably lack of experience against the host team.

to me that was a very stupid decision to send U23 team, two years ago Iran sent B team and finished 2nd at home. Iran could have 4 Asian titles by now if it wasn't for this. and looks like they are going to continue this as long as FIVB doesn't use the continental champs results for World Cup/ Olympics qualifier.

• the results are quite interesting...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…s_Volleyball_Championship

TPE (taiwan) beat both CHN and AUS in 1st and 2nd round... very strange.

JPN beat KAZ in final quite easily. KAZ (which finished 9th and 10th in the last few times!) finished 2nd.

ishikawa is MVP.

all teams were A, except for IRN apparently.

http://asianvolleyball.net/wp-…017-Daily-Bulletin-01.pdf

QAT with all their mercenaries didn't do well...

but IND didn't participate????

• Japan basically took their top team. They are trying to get as much volleyball in them before 2020. Yes, they did lose to the South Koreans in 5 sets in the Preliminary Round, but they had already qualified for the Top Group in the 2nd Round.
    Still they've gotten the job done.

Indonesia's upset of Iran was a little shocking. But it is the Iran under 23 side, so maybe not. However, Iran outscored them by 6 points, which means that should have won, so they were unlucky.

South Korea are using this as a preparation for the World Championship Qualifiers. But the loss to Kazakhstan in the semis reminds me why they are behind Iran, China and Japan. 2 set lead and outscored them by 15 points. They go on to lose in 5, still outscored them by 3. I think Iran and China get the final 2 spots for 2018.

Korea won against China in the QF. And if im not mistaken, China's roster is the same roster in WL. I think the WCH Qualifiers between Korea, China and Kazakhstan(+Qatar) is going to be fun. Iran for sure is going to be the number 1 in their pool. So it's between China or Korea for the last spot unless Kazakhstan or Qatar will upset any of the 3.

About ACH, Australia and China are the most disappointing teams.

• The expulsion of Gholami is another story , that happened in Tehran during the training after a verbal fight with Mousavi and not in Indonesia, the team in Indonesia was U23 coached by Juan Cichello

5th place is acutely a "good" result for this Iranian team . they were not even the complete U23 team without Manavinejad and Karimi. but that was unbelievable to beat Australia, China and Chinese Taipei to lose a semifinal berth to Indonesia :wacko: , Iran won 2 sets easily and had good lead in both 3rd and 4th sets but lost both sets narrowly at the end. probably lack of experience against the host team.

to me that was a very stupid decision to send U23 team, two years ago Iran sent B team and finished 2nd at home. Iran could have 4 Asian titles by now if it wasn't for this. and looks like they are going to continue this as long as FIVB doesn't use the continental champs results for World Cup/ Olympics qualifier.

Thanks a lot for the update! I guess I mixed the stories concerning the Iranian teams :D Regarding the continental championships. Well, this is an old issue. To be a continental champion means almost nothing indeed (from a technical perspective) and it is sad FIVB doesn't evaluate it, apart from some minor World ranking points. The fact that France, the reigning World League and European champion, is far behind the top teams in the ranking says enough about the system. Still, we always have the best teams for the continental championship in Europe at least, for it is still a prestigious event. It is a shame that not all countries in Asia think the same. It should mostly be about winning titles and medals on international, continental, and world stage rather than collecting some ranking points and moving up a position or three. I am with you regarding the Iranian Fed's decisions to neglect the last two Asian championships. I remember I followed the previous one more, probably the current form of some teams and the overall ignorance towards the event made me totally forget about this one.

• to me that was a very stupid decision to send U23 team, two years ago Iran sent B team and finished 2nd at home. Iran could have 4 Asian titles by now if it wasn't for this. and looks like they are going to continue this as long as FIVB doesn't use the continental champs results for World Cup/ Olympics qualifier.

At least CEV took ECH results into consideration for World Cup/Olympic Qualifications. So i would guess it is up to the continental federations how they organize qualification.

Furthermore, with World League having become now an official "invitational tournament", continental champs getting access to FIVB World Ranking again, seems to be quite logical to me.

• At least CEV took ECH results into consideration for World Cup/Olympic Qualifications. So i would guess it is up to the continental federations how they organize qualification.

Furthermore, with World League having become now an official "invitational tournament", continental champs getting access to FIVB World Ranking again, seems to be quite logical to me.

If I am not mistaken (I am still in holiday mood, so don't count on me being accurate right now), CEV applied the European rankings for the Olympic qualification in Berlin. I am saying this because Slovenia would've appeared somewhere if they took the ECH more seriously. Yes, the last two ECHs are valid for the European rankings, but so are the last WL and the WCH, which doesn't make much sense, in my opinion, and doesn't pedestal the ECH that much.

• Korea won against China in the QF. And if im not mistaken, China's roster is the same roster in WL. I think the WCH Qualifiers between Korea, China and Kazakhstan(+Qatar) is going to be fun. Iran for sure is going to be the number 1 in their pool. So it's between China or Korea for the last spot unless Kazakhstan or Qatar will upset any of the 3.

About ACH, Australia and China are the most disappointing teams.

2017 WL:
    S - Li Run-ming, Zhan Guo-jun, Mao Tian-yi
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Tang Chuan-hang
    OH - Zhong Wei-jun, Ji Dao-shuai, Liu Li-bin, Zhang Bing-long (Week 1 and Week 2), Han Tian-yi
    MB - Chen Long-hai, Rao Shu-han, Li Rui
    L - Tong Jia-hua, Ke Jun-huang (Week 3)

2017 ACH:
    S - Li Run-ming, Zhan Guo-jun
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Tang Chuan-hang
    OH - Zhong Wei-jun, Ji Dao-shuai, Liu Li-bin, Zhang Bing-long
    MB - Chen Long-hai, Rao Shu-han, Li Rui, Miao Ruan-tong
    L - Tong Jia-hua, Du Hai-xiang

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu