2018 Volleyball Nations League (VNL)

• I hope France seal it quickly tmr. Don't go 5.

On a personal note I hope not! - I'm going to watch the matches Friday through to the finals so I am hoping for very good matches tomorrow!

Really good to see Brazil reign in the errors. Had they kept their concentration yesterday they would have won. Still think they have their work cut out for them against both teams on the other side. Feel like they match up better against Russia than USA, however Russia is looking strong. whatever the outcome hope for very good semifinals. I feel this game was good for giving back Douglas confidence ahead of the semifinals. His confidence grew as the match went on, which will be important.

As ever Thales :obey: :obey:

I like Grbic, but feel like Serbia need a new coach - something is not quite right, there needs to be some kind of shake up, or revival of sorts.

• Assuming France qualifies, I think the 4 teams are pretty close and can beat one another. Russia I would argue has the most to improve, it was clear against their game against Poland they were still kinda rusty. Tomorrow should be a good indicator when they play against USA.

• Really good to see Brazil reign in the errors. Had they kept their concentration yesterday they would have won. Still think they have their work cut out for them against both teams on the other side. Feel like they match up better against Russia than USA, however Russia is looking strong. whatever the outcome hope for very good semifinals. I feel this game was good for giving back Douglas confidence ahead of the semifinals. His confidence grew as the match went on, which will be important.

As ever Thales :obey: :obey:

I like Grbic, but feel like Serbia need a new coach - something is not quite right, there needs to be some kind of shake up, or revival of sorts.

I'm not confident in a match-up against either Russia or USA, but Brazil has surprisingly adopted a very defensive system with Douglas and Lóh as OHs, so who knows what might actually happen or if they'll be able to keep up with this level of performance. Thales has been superb as well and if these last two games aren't enough to make him the starter for real instead of Murilo, I don't know what will be.

Anyway, things are a big question mark with this particular squad. I also don't remember the last time Brazil lost a semifinal match, so...

It's crazy to think Brazil is in the semis playing with like their 4th and 5th (perhaps even 6th) OHs. Lucarelli, Borges and Lipe (plus Rodriguinho if we count him) are all injured at the moment. Media here has been destroying Douglas every chance they have throughout the entire VNL, so it makes me glad to see they'll have to postpone their next roast at least for a later match. He shouldn't be criticized as harshly as he has been when it's clear how much potential he has.
    ~
    As for Grbic, I don't feel like he inspires a lot of confidence in this team. Sure they won the WL in 2016 with him, but we all know the other teams were preparing for Rio while Serbia only had that tournament to play. And it's not like he's been praised as a coach on club level either...

• It is good to see (finally) some young faces and talents in Brazil NT! :drink: It took so much time in the female team, that it seemed almost impossible in the male side.

I agree Murilo should be only used in case Thales crambles. Otherwise, I dont see Murilo has space in the team. Renan should point on Thales because I remember Murilo's bad reception was key in the lost of many matches in the premilinary rounds.

Lucas Loh :super: Douglas was good too. They barely have time to play as starters against top teams, so it is normal sometimes they do clue mistakes, but so far, they have left a good impression 8)

A question for the brazilian users, aside William (who is almost 40) and Bruno, who other talented setter does Brazil have? Of course I dont count Rapahel.

• A question for the brazilian users, aside William (who is almost 40) and Bruno, who other talented setter does Brazil have? Of course I dont count Rapahel.

There's Thiaguinho (Sesc) and Fernando Cachopa (Sada Cruzeiro). Both are talented and young, but also very short (1.85m). Carísio (Minas) got invited for NT trainings this year, but I'm not sure he has anything special, not to mention he's always on the bench.

Other than these, there's Pedro (played for Canoas last years and Funvic/Taubaté a few years back as Rapha's sub), but I doubt he'll ever get called.
    Anyway, Bruno and William will for sure be the setters in Tokyo, so it'll be a few years until we actually see some new setters in the NT.

• Because of Mauricio's injury yesterday, he and Murilo swapped their roles (OH vs L). Has the rule changed? I recall that in World League, each team used to designate 3 liberos in the 21-player squad. Players designated as liberos were not allowed to play as a regular player in any game. And now even in the same week, the coach has the freedom to choose any 2 players from the 14-palyer squad as liberos in any game?

• Because of Mauricio's injury yesterday, he and Murilo swapped their roles (OH vs L). Has the rule changed? I recall that in World League, each team used to designate 3 liberos in the 21-player squad. Players designated as liberos were not allowed to play as a regular player in any game. And now even in the same week, the coach has the freedom to choose any 2 players from the 14-palyer squad as liberos in any game?

Something similar happened in the female tournament: Jaqueline was registered as libero for the preliminary rounds and then played the F6 as an OH in order to replace an injured player, so yes, I assume the same is possible for the men.

• I'm not confident in a match-up against either Russia or USA, but Brazil has surprisingly adopted a very defensive system with Douglas and Lóh as OHs, so who knows what might actually happen or if they'll be able to keep up with this level of performance. Thales has been superb as well and if these last two games aren't enough to make him the starter for real instead of Murilo, I don't know what will be.

Anyway, things are a big question mark with this particular squad. I also don't remember the last time Brazil lost a semifinal match, so...

It's crazy to think Brazil is in the semis playing with like their 4th and 5th (perhaps even 6th) OHs. Lucarelli, Borges and Lipe (plus Rodriguinho if we count him) are all injured at the moment. Media here has been destroying Douglas every chance they have throughout the entire VNL, so it makes me glad to see they'll have to postpone their next roast at least for a later match. He shouldn't be criticized as harshly as he has been when it's clear how much potential he has.
    ~
    As for Grbic, I don't feel like he inspires a lot of confidence in this team. Sure they won the WL in 2016 with him, but we all know the other teams were preparing for Rio while Serbia only had that tournament to play. And it's not like he's been praised as a coach on club level either...

Douglas Souza took the Superliga by storm in 2016 and in 2017 he had a shaky season. He helped Brazil beat Russia earlier in VNL this year. He is not the typical OH Brazil used to have so seeing him killing balls and playing good is an enjoyable thing. He is the kid with a lot of potential. His receiving and defense is somewhat good, too. Hope to see Douglas-Lucarelli duo soon (wish Lipe a very slow recovery :lol: )

• Something similar happened in the female tournament: Jaqueline was registered as libero for the preliminary rounds and then played the F6 as an OH in order to replace an injured player, so yes, I assume the same is possible for the men.

Every team is allowed to change liberos until one hour before the match, so they can have different par for every day of the tournament...

• Absolutely brilliant.

Of course Lisinac had to be his pathetic self kicking the ball in the end too. What a loser.

I don't remember him behaving like that often (if ever),so I don't know why are you saying this :what: He is great player and person, never acting like a star. What exactly is making him a loser?

• I don't remember him behaving like that often (if ever),so I don't know why are you saying this :what: He is great player and person, never acting like a star. What exactly is making him a loser?

I have the same question, too. When I read the previous comment, I thought Lisinac is being an A-hole. But when I watched the replay, it comes to me as him being mad at himself for allowing that tip to score, more of a frustration to himself rather than a provocation. And during the heat exchange of Ata and the Brazilian team, he kept his cool. The Serbia captain is someone that I admire so much through out this competition. He is a very cool person, keeping his team together. All in all, other than the Ata incident, Serbia did well in terms of showing sportsmanship during the match. It was a great match. It is nice to see how Douglas and Lucas practically upgraded Brazil's back row defense in this match.

• I'm not following male volleyball that much, but whenever I see Lisinac play he has acted like that.. either provoking through the net, shouting, aggressively pulling the net.. Yesterday he was obviously nad at himself, but that's a reaction a grown man shouldn't allow himself to do, not to mention he's a world class player, playing the F6 and many young players look up to him.

• One thing I notice is the Brazilian players have such an "affection" towards Douglas. They treated him very nicely like he is everyone's little brother. Maybe it is because of his age. Even the hot-headed Lipe and Bruno cared for him on court. And tht gesture where Lucas held his hand asking if he is truly OK after his "ankle scare" is really nice to see.

• One thing I notice is the Brazilian players have such an "affection" towards Douglas. They treated him very nicely like he is everyone's little brother. Maybe it is because of his age. Even the hot-headed Lipe and Bruno cared for him on court. And tht gesture where Lucas held his hand asking if he is truly OK after his "ankle scare" is really nice to see.

Probably happy to see him get a chance to play after being on the bench for so long. I really like him as a player and he'll be part of Brazil's lineup for a long time.

• I don't remember him behaving like that often (if ever),so I don't know why are you saying this :what: He is great player and person, never acting like a star. What exactly is making him a loser?

Lisinac likes to celebrate and scream looking at the opponent's side quite often. Happens in both the NT and Polish league. I've seen it happen countless times. His lack of fair play and bad personality on court is what makes him a loser.