Russia

Pool D

Iran
    Argentina
    Cyprus
    United Arab Emirates
    Switzerland
    Canada

• The idea of the tournament has been often disrupted by professional players taking part in previous years, which I personally don't quite like. The Universiade should theoretically be for amateurs, but these are just my thoughts. Russia's been mostly the team with the real pro players, or at least the nation taking it more seriously, hence the recent domination is obvious. Still, the level rises when there are better players, of course, and some of the games then are watchable. Matches from Pool A can be found on YouTube.

About this year's event, Russia should go far for sure. They have Shcherbinin, Shchadilov, Likhosherstov, Botin, Pluzhnikov, and Nikitin. Ukraine sent Plotnytskyi, Portugal play with Lourenco Martins (part of the senior selection), France arrived with Carlee, Nevot, Henry, Corteggiani, Nicolas Rossard, Basic, and Louati, whereas Imhoff and Federico Martina perform for Argentina. I don't know the Iranian but based on results, they look promising. Theoretically, the two best teams on paper - France and Russia, can meet in the semis.

• After losing to Iran in the U19 World Championship final, now Russia lost the final of the World Universiade to Iran in 5 sets (plus, Russia lost the final of the U23 World Championship in Egypt, making it three silver medals in a span of a few days)! That is kind of shocking based on their squads and on Russia's recent dominance in the competition. Iran finished the tournament unbeaten. I guessed they enjoyed quite a successful volleyball weekend, adding up to the title of the boys in Bahrain.

• I watched the final and that was a very entertaining match with a lot of ups and downs.

honestly I didn't even know some of these Iranian players but some of them had been in national team B before. Vadi, Piroutpour etc. I think Iran sent better team to previous Unidersiades but only this one managed to win a medal, the gold medal.

good to see Iran is competitive in almost all volleyball competitions in all levels. even though the Current A team sucks for some reasons.

• I watched the final and that was a very entertaining match with a lot of ups and downs.

honestly I didn't even know some of these Iranian players but some of them had been in national team B before. Vadi, Piroutpour etc. I think Iran sent better team to previous Unidersiades but only this one managed to win a medal, the gold medal.

good to see Iran is competitive in almost all volleyball competitions in all levels. even though the Current A team sucks for some reasons.

In conversation with some people which are close to Kolaković I heard GCC is Iran's primary competition this year :) They all subordinated to GCC :win:

• In conversation with some people which are close to Kolaković I heard GCC is Iran's primary competition this year :) They all subordinated to GCC :win:

That's true they care about the GCC and they sacrificed the Asian Champs for that but I'm not sure if that was their primary target this year over the World League. people prefer watching WL over watching matches in Japan in early morning. I'm quite sure WGCC will have less media attention than the WL. it's not like they hide anything in WL,saving for the WGCC. Kolakovic wanted results from the 1st day.