CEV Men’s European Championship 2019 - hosts France, Slovenia, Belgium and the Netherlands

• Austria without Bucchegger. Zass played great in qualification to Ech, but against teams with good block he will have difficulty

• So many empty seats in France :(

Nice wins best crowd.

• rep. Czech x ukraine and germany x serbia are the best games today. Maybe if Estonia can play as some years ago, their game against Poland can be nice

• So many empty seats in France :(

Way more interesting is the fact that when more people attended the French game in the evening, the crowd was... Incredibly silent! I mean, they literally made no sound at all and only cheered when there was a 'mega rally' or a 'monster block', You could hear the coaches' instructions, the squeaking of shoes, just everything. I know these are Western Europeans and they are not so hot-tempered like the Southern/Eastern Europeans, even if they looked and behaved like a theater audience which is not bad at all, but this is really boring at a sports event.

I shared my opinion regarding the expansion of the ECH to 24 teams and the general level of middle-class European teams before, yet I will wait a few more days before I comment the topic again. Heynen has a point but only for the female tournament, I don't share quite the same opinion for the men's event.

I have watched the Northern Macedonian team a lot in the past few years, they have an interesting selection of players and enjoyed it when they qualified for the 2019 ECH. They have demonstrated much better volleyball at the European Leagues, the qualifiers, and the friendlies, this and previous summer seasons. Yesterday was probably the most distracted and unorganized they have been for years. It was a historic moment for them and perhaps nerves played a huge role, preventing them from showing more. Nikola Gjorgiev hadn't been blocked and neutralized that often in years, definitely the worst match with his participation I have watched. Yet he wasn't benched. With a hot Slovenia and a dominant Russia in the group, Macedonia were unlucky that their opener was against Finland, probably their biggest contender for the 4th place. Now they will find it difficult to achieve something, their chances will be against Belarus who were surprisingly weak for a team that looked quite decently during the summer. I expect Turkey to finish even above Finland, despite Subasi's absence. Based on Russia's partially experimental day and with this current Turkish team at the other side of the court, no surprise they fought for a set.

It brings me, personally, good memories to see teams like Greece and Ukraine back to a ECH. Unfortunately, Greece should be the weakest opponent in Pool A, without Djuric there's not much resistance going on. It is also a question mark why Zoupani was given so much court time.

Talking about Ukraine, I am not surprised they are 2-0 against the Czechs right now. I hope they manage to finish it properly.

• CEV is so messy with the men's locker room filming. I can't complain, really. :heart:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• This is strange, I was in Berlin for the 2016 OQT and French fans were super loud and passionate despite being the minority.

Maybe the team yavbou wave died off?

Maybe France winning the World Cup for Football is the cause.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Belarus is giving Russia a run for it;s money in the first set. Russia is playing not so special either.

• Russia is playing a tad slower with Butko.. They were more enjoyable to watch in VNL with Kobzar's setting

• This championship is a huge disappointment comparing to the women's one :( Empty stadiums literally everywhere, even at host games, low quality of most matches, even weirder schedule than in the girls european championship, not to mention some weird, er, let's call them technical problems ( some weird sound issues at the Italy vs Greece game and, "pancakes" being declared as the reason of the video verification in some other group ( come on, I couldn't have been the only one who noticed that, right?)

What's going on? I thought people in France, Slovenia and especially the Netherlands liked volleyball, why is the attendance so low :( ? Did CEV/FIVB get crazy with the ticket prices again?

• Turkish team is no fun. Even Mikhailov stripped down for the cameras which is a shocker to me while they did nothing.:whistle:

#FreeBritney