CEV Men’s European Championship 2019 - hosts France, Slovenia, Belgium and the Netherlands

• If someone said Slovenia is a top team in this ECH, I agree. But if someone said Slovenia is a top team in the world, I do not agree. A top team, by default, should be defined or checked by spanning a certain period of time, such as a few years, to make it more convincing. Just my 2 cents.

Just to touch briefly on yesterdays discussion. I totally agree, my point was that Slovenia's NT is a top team right now, in ECH 2019. They're in hot form and were also helped by the stunning support of the home crowd.

As for the future, we will see what will happen. They will need more top finish results to establish themselves. The core of the team has played together for a long time now but consistency has always been an issue with the team. As well as the lack of adequate substitutes.

First chance to impress again will be at the OQT in Berlin in January, 2020. I'm looking forward to see what the team can do away from home and hopefuly they can continue to impress because they look strong right now. The qualifier will be brutal though. In addition, it will be interesting to finally see them play in VNL.

Yesterday was not the result I expected. France looked really solid against Italy, while Serbia was quite shaky against Ukraine. I'm no expert but I always say blocking wins games and Serbia blocked well, really well. It decided the game in my opinion. Both teams made mistakes but I felt Serbia was more consistent throughout the game while France was more hot and cold. Also, it's been a while since the last game I saw with this many serve line faults.

Anyone knows why Tillie was not playing?

Not the 3rd place match I was expecting, especially not after the group stage ended.

I'm really looking forward to it and hoping it will be a good match. It will be interesting to see which team can bounce back.

Slovenia and Serbia played two matches in Ljubljana, before the tournament in preperation for the ECH.

Serbia won both games. First 3:2 and the second 3:0 where Cebulj was not playing for Slovenia due to a light injury.

The odds are in Serbia's favour but Slovenia outdid their odds time and time again this tournament so hopefully they can go all the way.

• The ECH final is the first test for Slovenia. If they win, they'll build up confidence for upcoming OQT 2020. Serbia, France, Slovenia and other European Class B teams will fight for just one spot for Tokyo 2020, a super tough job for every team. It's like you have to survive in Amazon jungle by yourself. The consistency is also an issue for Slovenia. I have seen Urnaut and Cebulj choked many times in club games. Without home court support, the chances of Slovenia breaking through are very slim. But who knows. Maybe they will have another miracle like they have done in this ECH.

As to the game of Serbia vs France today, Jovovic did not choke in clutch time. AA also had a solid performance on attack. Serbia's block worked very well because they're pretty familiar with Toniutti's style. Toniutti is one of the best active setters, but his style is also conservative. Sometimes he had good chances to set up a fast ball to pos 3, but he still passes the ball to pos 2 or 4. I have watched a lot of Zaksa's games in last two seasons, Toniutti's style is same. Serbia players focused on block on pos 2 and 4 most of the time, which saved them energy and improved the efficiency of block as well. To my surprise, Tillie's dad did not change the setter after France had an awful start in set #5. At least Brizand could change the rhythm of attack. France lost tie break like they're going though chronic death. They knew the result but did not do anything to change it. Tillie did not start due to injury AFAIK.

• 24 teams at OG is unrealistic, the Games last for two weeks, it would be unrealistic to have so many matches within that time.

6 groups consisting of 4 teams. We're gonna have every team playing 3 matches in the group so there will be 6 (3+2+1) matches for every group, thus 36 matches overall in the group stage. The 12 first two teams from each group and the best four third placed teams will qualify to the 8Fs. So the elimination round will be 16 (8+4+2+1+1) matches (including the match for the third place). So overall, we'll have 52 (36+16) matches in the Olympics.

Now let's see how's the current format: two groups consisting of 6 teams. During the group stage there are 15 matches for each group, therefore 30 matches during the group stage. The elimination round is 8 matches (4+2+1+1) with including the third place match. So considering the current format there will be 38 matches, and in the suggested format it'll be 52.

So I don't see how it's "unrealistic" as you mentioned. 14 more matches wouldn't be so much that we can go as far as calling it impossible and unrealistic. The group stage can be done in one week and the other next week the elimination round begins. Doesn't sound like a tournament which makes plays exhausted, it's actually quite realistic with this format. The only thing is that the team's will play less matches in the group stage (from 5 to 3)

• 14 more matches wouldn't be so much that we can go as far as calling it impossible and unrealistic.

The problem you are discussing is relevant not for volleyball only but for any playing sports at Olympics. Imagine the number of the participating teams both male and female would double - the hosts would never be able to solve the accomodation issues :)

• 6 groups consisting of 4 teams. We're gonna have every team playing 3 matches in the group so there will be 6 (3+2+1) matches for every group, thus 36 matches overall in the group stage. The 12 first two teams from each group and the best four third placed teams will qualify to the 8Fs. So the elimination round will be 16 (8+4+2+1+1) matches (including the match for the third place). So overall, we'll have 52 (36+16) matches in the Olympics.

Now let's see how's the current format: two groups consisting of 6 teams. During the group stage there are 15 matches for each group, therefore 30 matches during the group stage. The elimination round is 8 matches (4+2+1+1) with including the third place match. So considering the current format there will be 38 matches, and in the suggested format it'll be 52.

So I don't see how it's "unrealistic" as you mentioned. 14 more matches wouldn't be so much that we can go as far as calling it impossible and unrealistic. The group stage can be done in one week and the other next week the elimination round begins. Doesn't sound like a tournament which makes plays exhausted, it's actually quite realistic with this format. The only thing is that the team's will play less matches in the group stage (from 5 to 3)

You forget that there is also the women's tournament, and all the matches are played in the same venue. What you propose would require the host to produce two arenas specifically for volleyball, which probably wouldn't be a good investment.
    And then, by default, they would have to do the same thing for other team sports, build even more arenas, the cost of which would be huge.

It's just that volleyball isn't that popular and increasing the number of matches at the Olympics wouldn't be profitable.

I personally like it that there is only 12 teams, it makes the Olympic tournament more prestigious. The problem is the qualifying system. It triggers me that Serbia, a consistently strong NT, is likely miss out on their 2nd Olympics in a row, but teams like Mexico and Chile get to play.

• 6 groups consisting of 4 teams. We're gonna have every team playing 3 matches in the group so there will be 6 (3+2+1) matches for every group, thus 36 matches overall in the group stage. The 12 first two teams from each group and the best four third placed teams will qualify to the 8Fs. So the elimination round will be 16 (8+4+2+1+1) matches (including the match for the third place). So overall, we'll have 52 (36+16) matches in the Olympics.

Good luck finding a host that could accommodate 100,000 athletes.

• The issue won't be the number of matches, accommodation is the main problem. Otherwise even having 16 team would have been a big improvement

• i hope that in the final we dont have an empty gym, as France and Poland are out.

Tomorrow i think Serbia is favorite. But if Slovenia can play like they did against Russia and Poland imo they will win. They served really well.

France with this kind of game will not play in OG. They have 4 good OH, 3 good MB, they dont need to play like yestersay, only sets to ngapeth and Boyer.

• Serbia is such a mystery to me. Trashed by Italy in the OQT, almost eliminated by Ukraine days ago and now back to invincible mode.

Oh and about the expansion of the Olympic program: forget it. The Olympic committee said it clear, they want to contain costs and the number of athletes. An expansion to 16 teams will not happen before basketball expands to 24. And that is because basketball is an immensely popular world sport.

Volleyball instead remains a niche where the same countries dominate for decades with little changes, and the big ones ($$$) rarely miss the qualification. Nobody will push for increased costs for the Olympic hosts in order to let Bulgaria, Slovenia, Egypt and Chile qualify.

• Boyer is so unreliable. His body language (not sure if "language" is the correct term but my English is failing me) in defense also seems weak and he comes off as messy most of the time. N'Gapeth can't win games like these on his own.

• 22 - 22 L.Tillie subbed his son for Trevor and it went down hill. Tsk tsk tsk

• Poland got Bronze. Jenia, as the No.1 active libero, had a reception error at match point. A dramatic ending for France.

Poland played so relaxed today. Obviously Heynen told Drzyzga to pass more balls to Leon to train his chemistry with the team.

If healthy Kurek comes back, Poland is still the contender in tournament.

Now I am curious Poland will send what team to WC. Kubiak will play for WC, maybe Leon as well?

• Boyer is like Patch, they can jump very high, but can't turn it into points. They lack everything else.

Boyer had a bad day. But overall he's much better than Patch. Boyer's performance was solid in Verona last season. Patch totally is an error king. When Patch started his career in NCAA, I was surprised by his physical talent, such a good jumper. But it turns out he's so disappointing in pro league. Now he can not even stay in Italy league as no team want such an error king. When Patch plays for USA NT, he also made errors after errors when he's on court.

• Poland got Bronze. Jenia, as the No.1 active libero, had a reception error at match point. A dramatic ending for France.

Poland played so relaxed today. Obviously Heynen told Drzyzga to pass more balls to Leon to train his chemistry with the team.

If healthy Kurek comes back, Poland is still the contender in tournament.

Now I am curious Poland will send what team to WC. Kubiak will play for WC, maybe Leon as well?

WC - team B (but with Kurek, Łomacz and Kwolek) is now on the way to Japan to play first two matches.

11 players from ECH will fly to Japan in 2 days (without Konarski and Nowakowski - they decided to cancel participation).

Kubiak will fly alone and join team at later stage. After WC he will stay in Japan and wait for league season.

• If healthy Kurek comes back, Poland is still the contender in tournament.

This is what Poland is going to send to Japan. They are actually already in Japan:

Tomasz Fornal

Norbert Huber

Marcin Janusz

Łukasz Kaczmarek

Bartosz Kurek

Bartosz Kwolek

Bartłomiej Lemański

Grzegorz Łomacz

Piotr Łukasik

Jakub Popiwczak

Michał Szalacha

Rafał Szymura

The EC bronze medalists are going to join them later on. Both Kubiak and Leon are on the team.

• Polish fans outcheered Parisians 🤣