Italy – Superlega 2017/2018

• Berger is the hot hand. :super: Andric is not bad.

I hope we can still take this set.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Why did Bernardi use Berger to sub for Russell? I think our best lineup for tonight is Berger as receiving opposite

I thought the same.
    Probably he hadn't imagined he would have put Andric in when he subbed Russell with Berger? But I don't even remember which change came first... Anyway Andric did good imho.

On Trento side, this evening the Zingel-subs – which in the past often brought good things – haven't worked AT ALL. In case, they almost costed us both set...
    Amazing cover by Kovacevic in the last point, again messy but beautiful as in the first set, imho.

Ps I know I much dislike Trento serve, but even if the sub worked a part of me think Lanza – considering how he is playing and serving today – deserved to serve the ball at 25-24...

• In fact in this set Berger opposite.

I've changed my mind after Berger was hitting over the top of the block as an outside hitter. :super:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Lanza is playing like a beast. :gone:

#FreeBritney

• Perugia is such a mess tonight. I hate chance balls that turned into a point like what Hoag did. :gone:

I guess the fatigue caught to them. The travel from Russia to italy must have not been easy.

#FreeBritney

• Congrats Trento for forcing a fifth series.

I was hoping we take this set but Bernardi didn't probably see that Berger performed better as an OH than an Opp while Zaytsev could probably attack better as opp. We could have a higher block in the right side if he played the game like that.

#FreeBritney

• Wow!!
    I must be honest, before the beginning of this serie I wouldn't have bet on a game 5 (may be even on a game 4...), and before today I wouldn't have bet on a 3-0!

Of course Perugia helped, but Trento is playing definitely better than I expected; or at least, is playing good more constantly; before I happened to thought 'they all need to play at their own top at the same time to have hopes to grab something, and it might even not be enough', now I'm starting to think that were are playing at our actual standard level, not better than our standards. I hope it makes sense XD

And if after the first set I said Trento was closed to his maximum, now I'm even rethinking that a bit: I wasn't very fond of Kovacevic today (but what a save in the set point of the second!) nor of the attack game with the MBs, served rarely and not always well from Giannelli side, and not very effective when they were served on the MBs' side.

• So I guess Modena will break up after this match? :gone:

#FreeBritney

I spoke too soon and I find myself rooting for Modena to force a tiebreak. :drink:

#FreeBritney

• It's over for Modena but that was a good fight back but just not enough for a come back.

Congrats to Lube as the first finalist.

#FreeBritney

• Oh fly!!
    I was cheering for Modena since I love long series (when I'm not involved :P) and I wanted it to arrive at match-5, but I really couldn't believe my eyes for how badly Lube was wasting his advantages in the 4th set, whit a silly error after a silly error, like terrible setting by not-setter players! (and then credits to Modena for taking well advantage of these errors, of course).

After that terrible moment the game became high level again and I really enjoyed the adavntages, I'm so sorry Modena didn't grab the tie break at the end.

I think Modena public is whistling at Lube after the match, I wonder if some Lube players did some unpleasant gesture or if Modena fans just lacked fair play for a bit...

Congrats to Lube anyway!

• Osmany gave me another good reason not to like him very much, he was definitely too astonished ('my God!') when Colantoni told him Trento won 3-0 vs Perugia :lol:

Uh Ngapeth left the court probably in tears (they showed his back, but he brought his hand to the eyes...) ;( Is last match in Modena (for now...)
    EDIT: now the show the moment before he left, he was definitely crying while he was saying his last goodby to the fans ;(

Ngapeth seems most annoyed with Holt or am I reading too much into it? and what was that exchange between him and the other coach? The stream cut off just after that..

I think Modena need a new style of play after this - and not having Ngapeth will help the other players and new players to come into their own - he was too much of a big star/personality for this team and the obvious clashes with the coach didn't help...

Juantoeran and Sokolov played a very composed match and this really helped when they seemed to be in trouble.

• Atanasijevic's form is worrying me a lot. This series has been all about his disappearance in some matches. I saw some hints vs Ravenna and I knew it would worsen against a much stronger team like Trento or Novosibirsk. Maybe he's injured. I really don't know. I hope he improves because Trento almost brought Perugia along the PalaEvangelita to it's knees in game 3.

#FreeBritney

• Ngapeth seems most annoyed with Holt or am I reading too much into it? and what was that exchange between him and the other coach? The stream cut off just after that..

I think Modena need a new style of play after this - and not having Ngapeth will help the other players and new players to come into their own - he was too much of a big star/personality for this team and the obvious clashes with the coach didn't help...

Juantoeran and Sokolov played a very composed match and this really helped when they seemed to be in trouble.

Ngapeth and Holt are like brothers, am I right? I guess the heat of the match has gotten to his psyche if he's annoyed with Holt.

Yeah this is a tough rebuilding for Modena. Ngapeth is their life and soul that without him they are a different team.

I wish they still have Lucas. Modena is obvioisly a strong team without him but Bruno is just too creative that with Lucas he can do so much more for Modena.

But if Bruno leaves as the rumours suggest... I really don't know what will become of Modena. Ngapeth is one thing and Bruno is a completely different subject. :white:

#FreeBritney

• Atanasijevic's form is worrying me a lot. This series has been all about his disappearance in some matches. I saw some hints vs Ravenna and I knew it would worsen against a much stronger team like Trento or Novosibirsk. Maybe he's injured. I really don't know. I hope he improves because Trento almost brought Perugia along the PalaEvangelita to it's knees in game 3.

I keep saying the same thing: the whole team seems exhausted in the last month. Even when we won, the guys looked very very tired. :S

• I forgot about the implications of the fifth game. If Trento wins... They will have the last champions league slot from Modena. There's so much at stake besides Perugia losing the chance to have a perfect domestic league season. I hope Perugia returns the serve. I think that's what costed them the game. We just can't get the break points needed and practically leveled to Trento's service pressure and the playing field.

Bernardi also needs to analyze real time data from the match better. Zaytsev and Berger were destroying Trentino on 4 and 2. That would've beeen a great recalibration to opposite for Zaytsev when he's back to the NT. It's like hitting two birds with one stone and he failed to take the opportunity of that moment. :whistle:

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains ().

• Bruno and Ngapeth together were amazing. I'm so sorry they will never ever play togehter again... ;(

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• Today last match of semifinal between Perugia and Trento. Crossing my fingers for a little miracle ;)

On the other hand, Modena is exploded: instead of only Bruno and Ngapeth, all the team decided to show up together to a well known local tv program and practically said that nobody is happy with Stoytchev.
    Is probably a first in the story of Italian volleyball... (not that everybody dislike the coach, but the public and collective statement).

It's not clear if the society (or someone in it) knew about it or even accorded the permission to do that.

Then Modena broke the contract with Stoytchev (so, it seems it's not him who resigned, that would have meant giving up the money...), and finally Catia Pedrini, Modena president, wrote a public letter of apologies for her mistaken choice to put the trio together.