Chinese NT 2018

• China's Huaren 华人TV also covers the many WCH matches live at its own resource here. ITA - USA, NED - SRB etc are on its live schedule.

"The majority of men are not capable of thinking, but only of believing and are not accessible to reason but only to authority." -­ Arthur Schopenhauer

• Who does have the high confidence or good FORESIGHT at this point of time that the Chinese team will play in the final for the gold medal, which quite possibly facing the Italian team again, but this time the Chinese team will reverse the outcome:?:

Just wondering if anyone here will take the risk of being flat footed and bold enough to speak out his/her thought... IN ADVANCE :?:

There have been enough hindsight.... now we need the foresight :D

:lol:

"The majority of men are not capable of thinking, but only of believing and are not accessible to reason but only to authority." -­ Arthur Schopenhauer

• I came across some thought-provoking comment by some volleyball fan, in particular to enlighten the many simpletons in the internet realm:

Interesting comment! And it's made before the match of ITA vs CHN, a day earlier. Well, let's observe as games are evolving... time will reveal the virtues.

In the second encounter of the CHN vs USA --which was the opening match of the Round 3 or the Final 6-- in this tournament, the Chinese team did not play well, while the USA team played much better than the earlier encounter in Round 2, whereas at just three days ago the Chinese team beat the US team in straight, 3—0 (25 - 17 / 26 - 24 / 25 - 18).

In today's match only by striving with great difficulty the Chinese team could finally overcome its main opponent at 5 sets: 3—2 (25 - 22 / 19 - 25 / 20 - 25 / 25 - 23 / 15 - 9). The USA team with its strong volleyball tradition has been a major pain for the Chinese team in the past 12 years at the various international competitions.

Therefore these two victories over the main opponent in the highest level tournament, the World Championship, is truly a quality to cheer and treasure for the Chinese team and its fans. This win is not just crucial in the Chinese team's effort to reach the semifinal stage. It is also very important psychologically that the team eventually get through the American big hurdle, breaking the dam, twice within a short interval... some problem that has been lingering for these last 12 years. Nonetheless the US women's volleyball team will always be a formidable opponent for the Chinese squad.

So, even though the Chinese team did not play well today and few key players clearly underperformed, thus got a lot of criticism and judgements... on the other side, the team showed its resilience that even during a bad day, the team could still turn over the tide and bail out itself at the end. Just not every day the sun shines brightly. Such perseverance is a quality to treasure... for in sport, incl. the volleyball, a team may have some fluctuations, some kind of swing from the great performance at some day down to the underperformed at the other day, esp. in such a long tournament like the World Championship. I just hope the team will be playing better and better again, in an increasing positive form in the next last three matches to cope with the increasing challenges as well, assuming the team will make it into playing for the gold medal and even eventually succeed to reap the trophy.

All good wishes and big hope! Just add more oil :-) There's simply no easy way to attain the glory!!

Edited 3 times, last by samsara ().

• Many fans still think Yuan Xin-yue should be replaced by Hu Ming-yuan or Yang Han-yu after they saw the match of CHN against USA in Final 6.

However, please remember that coaches' minds must be more (or better?) than fans'.

My favourite roster of Chinese
    male NT:
    S - Li Run-ming, Zhan Guo-jun
    OP - Dai Qing-yao, Jiang Chuan
    OH - Ji Dao-shuai, Xia Run-tao, Liu Li-bin, Zhang Chen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Chen Long-hai, Geng Xin
    L - Ren Qi

female NT:
    S - Ding Xia, Yao Di
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Zhang Chang-ning
    OH - Hui Ruo-qi, Zhu Ting, Liu Xiao-tong, Li Jing
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Yan Ni, Xu Yun-li
    L - Lin Li

My avatar is Jiang Chuan. I hope more persons love him.

• samsara,

i agree with you....if China faces Italy at the semis..i expect a tougher match than first round...the Chinese team will react as the Usa has done today against China unlike its second round performance

• Many fans still think Yuan Xin-yue should be replaced by Hu Ming-yuan or Yang Han-yu after they saw the match of CHN against USA in Final 6.

However, please remember that coaches' minds must be more (or better?) than fans'.

Yuan was fine. I agree she didn't play her best. But some fans should stop dramatizing things because she was not at her top performance.

• Yuan was fine. I agree she didn't play her best. But some fans should stop dramatizing things because she was not at her top performance.

Yuan merely saves her top form for those knocked-out matches ... spares the best for the last :dance6:

• Yuan merely saves her top form for those knocked-out matches ... spares the best for the last :dance6:

Many judge a player only "statistically". But they neglect other aspects which are also extremely important. Firstly, Yuan is an excellent leader of her generation. This quality is extremely valuable. Secondly, even though her scores were not as good as we expected, she was still very dangerous and she kept the opponents very busy. If we pay attention to the American assistant coach during the last game, we can hear him asking several times his players to put the pressure on no1 (Yuan) and on no2 (Zhu). Thirdly, well... she's pretty attractive and charming. So it's always good to see an attractive player on court.

• Yuan is an excellent leader of her generation. This quality is extremely valuable.

She's so upbeat. I love her for that, banshee wails and all 8) But she does need to up her statistics before people with deep knowledge of volleyball will respect her adequately.

• After losing to Italy again, Who is the weakest? OP? OH2? Libero (Lin Li is injured and in fact doesn't play more matches)? Yuan Xin-yue (MB1)?

male NT:
    L - Ren Qi

female NT:
    S - Ding Xia, Yao Di
    L - Lin Li

• After losing to Italy again, Who is the weakest? OP? OH2? Libero (Lin Li is injured and in fact doesn't play more matches)? Yuan Xin-yue (MB1)?

I think opposite position has always been the weakest link for China, for scoring. Other teams always have the better players so China really needs to find an OP that can score efficiently and consistently.

I still think the main problem for China is health. They lost half of their starters to retirement due to health and came in this tournament with a couple of players playing through injuries, Zhang Changning, Yan Ni, Ding Xia, Zeng Chunlei, Lin Li, etc. Zhu also played through with a shoulder injury. In a long tournament like WCH, health is of utmost importance.

The Olympics is 2 years away so there is time to find replacements and players to improve their game. Li Yingying needs to work on her reception and floor defense. Yuan Xinyue needs to work on her blocking. Biggest position to replace is setter in my opinion. Don't know how long Ding Xia can play but Yao Di is not cut out for this A team. Liu Xiaotong and Zeng Chunlei might need replacements. Everyone else is just staying healthy and keeping their form until 2020, biggest concern.

• Congratulations!

Chinese women's NT finished this year's matches with the victory.

Although Chinese League 18/19 doesn't start, I will give the roster of Chinese NT in 2019 that just I guess:

S - Sun Hai-ping, Ding Xia (if her injury isn't heavier), Yu Jia-rui (the same situation as Ding Xia*)

OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Wang Mei-yi, Ren Kai-yi (with reception, she has the ability of spike in the right side and without too much injury)

OH - Zhu Ting (must have enough time to relax), Li Ying-ying, Liu Yan-han*, Duan Fang, Zhang Yi-chan, Wu Han (however, her reception is unknown because she plays as OP for a long time)

MB - Hu Ming-yuan, Yang Han-yu, Gao Yi, Zheng Yi-xin, Wang Yuan-yuan*, Yang Zhou*

L - Wang Meng-jie, Meng Zi-xuan (her defense must be much better than now), Gong Mei-zi

male NT:
    L - Ren Qi

female NT:
    S - Ding Xia, Yao Di
    L - Lin Li

• My Chinese team in 2019

S : Ding xia, sun haiping, meng dou, sun yan, Cai yaqian, Zhang zhihan

OH : zhu ting, Zhang changing, li yingying, Liu tangan, wu han, Zhou yetong

MB : Yuan Xinyue, Yang hanyu, Wang Yuanyuan, Gao yi, Hu mingyuan, Wang mengjie, Zheng Yixin, Mao junyi

L : Wang mengjie, meng zhixuan, Zhang qianqian,

• Why are neither of you playing Yan Ni?

• it's time to build young players. I want yan ni stay in team but she is old enough.

• that's cool. I thought maybe I missed an announcement

• Yan Ni must play untill 2020 for the olympics....LP will keep her in the team...

She is only 31...

A video of her and her long arms.... :super:(eng subs)

• Yes, she is still needed in the team. But China have many talented players, it's time to give the young players opportunity to improve their skills and experience. I think gao yi have "potential" to be next yan ni

• Congrats to China on earning that Bronze medal, they deserved it! Yan Ni was by far my favorite this whole WCH tournament, those blocks and attacks. :obey: You could see the improvements Li Yingying has made since her debut at the VNL, she even blocked Akinradewo and Egonu! Zhu looked tired. She worked hard this whole competition so I was glad that they didn't overuse her against Netherlands for the third place match.

China desperately needs a defensive OH. We don't how Zhang Changning will look like next year, but I just hope she doesn't end up like Yang Fangxu. Li Yingying is learning at a steady pace. Even though her focus is offense, she still needs to improve her block and back court defense. Tianjin needs to let her receive in order to improve this area. Moving her to opposite could be a possibility though it seems she's comfortable hitting from the left side. Liu Xiaotong will be the first to lose her spot, her reception and pass is shaky. Her ability to score is also less than Li and injured Zhang.

Gong Xiangyu is the most stable opposite for China. She shined in the second round. It was only when Li Yingying subbed in that she had to take on the defensive burden. I'm still wondering what is wrong with Zeng Chunlei, what is her injury?

Yuan was great, but I believe she can even be better! She has all the makings to be the worlds #1 middle blocker, what she needs is special training with Xu Yunli. No words for Yan Ni, but perfect if you ask me. Hope she stays healthy for Tokyo 2020, China will need her and those strong arms. Hu Mingyuan's serve against Italy helped them take that set. We didn't see any of her fast attack, but my only worry is her block against players that can just go over the top. Yang Hanyu needs more experience and playing time. I thought she performed better in Beijing than in Shandong this past season.

What I love about Ding Xia is her fight. She's an aggressive setter than can score and also gives up her body to keep balls up. Yao Di isn't cut out for the team. China needs a stable setter when Ding Xia is struggling. Hopefully with Diao Linyu not making the WCH roster it will make her train even harder for a spot next year. From moments I seen at the Asian Cup, Sun Haiping could be someone to look into. Though I don't like her playing behind Ding Xia in Liaoning, they need to loan her to another team where she can get the starting role.

Wang Menjie is starting to look like China's #1 libero. I was surprised to see Lin Li really struggle this year, whatever it is I hope she can recover soon otherwise Meng Zixuan will move into that spot.

With China expected to host the next couple Volleyball Nations League, it will be a good opportunity to exercise new players. I wonder who will be China's breakout star this coming season! :win: