Chinese NT 2018

• In BRICS Games 2018, the two OPs, Qian Jing-wen and Chen Pei-yan, both were in Chinese "Senior" NT but Wu Han wasn't due to her injury.

I guess:
    Asian Games 2018 [Aug.18 - Sep.2] - Team A?
    Montreux 2018 [Sep.4 - Sep.9] - Team A's substitutes and Team B?
    Asian (AVC) Cup 2018 [Sep.17 - Sep.25] - Team B
    WCH 2018: [Sep.29 - Oct.20] - Team A

Lang Ping prefers "OPs that are like OHs" (maybe Chinglish, sorry).
    Therefore: Gong Xiang-yu (OP/S/OH) > Zeng Chun-lei (OP/OH) > Yang Fang-xu (OP/OH) > Qian Jing-wen (OP/OH) > Chen Pei-yan (only OP)
    Other OPs as the first site in Chinese Leagues: Zhu Yue-zhou (only OP but thought to be MB style), Luo Hui (OP/MB/L), Zhang Lei (OP/OH/MB), Ou-yang Qian-qian (OP/OH/L), Yang Yi (OP/L), Qin Si-yu (OP/OH/MB), Wang Mei-yi (OP/OH), Liu Meng-yao (OP/OH), Guan Rui-ge (OP/MB), Li Yao (OP/OH), Han Wen-ya (OP/OH), Wu Han (OP/OH), Wang Yu-qi (OP/OH/L), Huang Mei-qi (OP/MB), Sun Jie (OP/OH), Huang Feng (only OP), Lin Jie (only OP), Liu Ze-yu (OP/OH), Liu Meng-ya (OP/OH/MB/S), Tang Wei-dan (only OP) ...

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• I hope China will send the A team to the most important quadrennial multisport event of the Asian Continent, ASIAN GAMES, and believe me, it's carrying its prestige weight and coverage to top the competition there. Just bring the A team yet fielding more the subs, and use the main line-up (usual starters) if needed only (perhaps only against JPN, KOR and THA core teams) . If Lang Ping will keep on taking Hu Mingyuan in the NT, good chance for her to play more often, as well as Li Yingying, Gong Xiangyu & Liu Xiaotong, Gao Yi, Diao Linyu and Zhang Changning (to rust off her absence from VNL).

I wish Yang Fangxu will not be taken to the WCH.

And from the past experiences of WGP, at least from 2017 (China ended up at #4) , 2016 (#5), 2015 (#4), and 2014 (I had not yet watched the WGP in 2014, #5), this annual tournament was NOT a good indicator of what the Chinese squad was able to achieve in those more important tournaments. I surely hope so for the coming WCH :-) Somehow I have to start to believe that Lang Ping will never put her top target in WGP now VNL. Playing in the F6 (not an issue while China is still hosting the F6) and perhaps be in the last four is all what Lang cares about this annual event. Anything better than this is just a BONUS but it never be the true target. VNL is still serving as an excellent tournament for trying out some new combination.

Will still take some time to guess the China's final complete list to WCH, need to watch out those events before the WCH.

Wish all players will be healthy and fit for the arduous WCH. And the team need to work out several weakness faced by squad at present.

But simply won't project the VNL achievement as the good barometer of the major(s). Hope that Zhang CN will really make difference to the squad :-) early morning in Asia now

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Congrats to China for taking the bronze medal! They weren't consistent during the preliminary rounds, got swept by Brazil in Pool Play, then lost 3-1 against USA in the Final Four, but were able to comeback and return to sweep Brazil for 3rd Place. China's main goal was to give experience to their new players which worked in favor for those who took advantage of the opportunity. China plays best when there are supporting roles other than Zhu Ting and also when their reception is stable.

It was amazing to see Li Yingying step up and smash balls that created problems for Brazil. Though Zhu Ting scored more points, we were able to see the potential in young Li. Hu Mingyuan also had an awesome performance when Yuan Xinyue got injured, her quick and fast attacks are key. Any update on Yuan's injury?

Despite having past experience with the national team, I think Liu Yanhan shouldn't be used anymore. I'm also guessing we won't see Zhang Yichan anymore since there are Zhu Ting, Liu Xiaotong, Li Yingying and Zhang Changning once she returns. Maybe we might see a little bit of Duan Fang in the B Team for the smaller competitions.

For opposites, Yang Fangxu should leave the national team to allow more growth and playing time for Gong. Zeng Chunlei seems to not recovered all the way yet since she rarely played, but I still prefer her over Yang.

Hu Mingyuan was the biggest surprise for the new middle blockers. I have a feeling Wang Yuanyuan will not live up to Lang Pings expectations. Gao Yi might have a better chance, but she needs more playing time to learn. Yang Hanyu still needs work on basic skills. China needs a middle blocker like Xu Yunli, providing both offense and defense.

Ding Xia had a better connection with her players towards the end of the VNL. Diao Linyu performed better than Yao Di. I would like to see Sun Haiping's playing style.

Lin Li is more stable than Wang Mengjie, while Meng Zixuan is still inexperienced. Does height matter to Lang Ping for liberos?

• Brazil and USA have been the hardest teams for China to beat the last couple of years so beating Brazil for the bronze was a relief for this young team. At least better than the 4th place finish from last year.

It was good to see Li Yingying started and finished the game well against a top team. I think Lang Ping can play her as a combo OH/OP because her scoring potential is higher than Gong and Zeng. Zhu-Zhang-Li line up has the highest potential. She will need to improve on her reception, blocking, and floor defense. I think her serve is among the best on CNT already. Just need to keep errors down.

I agree Liu Yanhan needs to go, along with Yang Fangxu and Yao Di. Yanhan is just a downgrade from Xiantong. Yang's injury is just too devastating for her to recover. Yao Di has been on the B team since 2013 but has not improved one bit. Should give new faces a chance.

Agreed Hu has been biggest surprise since she was supposed to be a reserve of all the MBs. Too bad her height does not fit Lang Ping's ideal blocker physique. Wang has shown to have better blocking while I feel Gao has better offensive flow. Fusion of the two will become Xu Yunli. Hope Yuan is healthy. Her blocking needs to become better.

I think Ding Xia lacks confidence based on the interviews after winning 2015 WC and 2016 Olympics. Her fiasco with Wang Yimei also affected her performance during playoffs. From the documentary, she seems to be a person that can get distracted by social media as well. She needs to be more tough mentally. Diao should be fine. I don't see her as another Yao Di. Sun Haiping's biggest weakness is jumping. Lang Ping does not like setters that can't jump to block.

I think Zhu should switch to libero since she ranked 1st in digging. Kidding aside, height does not matter in libero position for Lang Ping. Lin Li has been up and down but she is a silent assassin. She will show up during important games like she did in Rio playoffs.

Other than health, my biggest concern for this team is scoring. China needs another consistent scorer to back up Zhu. This time the supporting cast is weaker so it will be harder to win. Hopefully everyone improve enough in three months and stay healthy.

• China's ideal lineup/core: Zhu-Yuan-Zhang-Li

Concur! Just dispatch both Zhang to rush her off and Li YY to give her more Int'l exposure, a few more tournaments to drill at live before the WCH, give them more playing time. Li YY has the good potential to grow better and better under the right direction of the Lang team. At this very moment, Li YY is the MOST prospective, the most potential new NT material identified.

Awaiting them in the ASIAN GAMES :-)

Hope Yuan YX recovers soon, that her injury is not serious, and may every player be healthy and fit!

Yang FX & Liu Yanhan better be released from NT to free their spots to other new potentials. The injury has taken away the past Yang FX, and Liu does not grow, she's unfit to the NT quality. Anyhow I really hope that Yang FX won't claim a spot into the WCH final list... But It's perfectly fine if she will play in the Montreux :D but to be serious, I hope CVA put great efforts to groom new quality players who have the potentials to compete at the high level internationally, not just good at the domestic league level. Just look at the new, young players from several teams, the TUR team is the most obvious in my mind, some players are rapidly rising from Jr to Sr NT, with apparent quality upgrade. And in this regard, seeing Liu YH development over years, she's just stuck, no clear improvement over her 2015 play (WC).

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• According to the rumors, only rumors, Zhang Chang-ning, Diao Lin-yu and Gong Xiang-yu won't all participate in 2018 Asian Club Championship in Kazakhstan.
    Why doesn't Zhang Chang-ning go there in order to "warm up"?
    I don't know.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• The VNL commentator had mentioned Li YY was approached by several European clubs. Any chance she comes to play in Italy? :D

Fenerbahce was the club that was interested in Li Yingying, though she turned them down. Which I think was a smart move because she still needs to accumulate more experience and basic skills in reception as well as block. She had some inconsistency throughout the VNL, but showed great potential towards the end. If she rushed to leave this year to an international club and performed badly, it would affect her mentality as a player. She's still young, so she will probably be ready to leave the Chinese League post Tokyo 2020 after she's matured.

• Don't expect Li Yingying to go overseas because Tianjin will not release her.

• The 2018 Chinese women's volleyball team FIVE EVENTS detailed!

By 土土女排 Native Women's Volleyball
    Date: 12 JUNE 2018

[…]
    This year, the Chinese women's volleyball team has FIVE intercontinental and international events to play. Let's talk about it!

1. World Women's Volleyball League (TRAINING, May-July)

This game can be seen as the Chinese women's volleyball team's 2018 warm-up match and training competition. It is mainly to train the team, train new people and increase the tacit understanding between the players. Of course, the most important thing is to train new people and adapt them to the national team.

2. ASIAN GAMES (Winning the Championship, 18 Aug ~ 02 Sep)

This is one of the TWO MOST IMPORTANT GAMES for the Chinese women's volleyball team this year. This year's Asian Games is also a competition for the Chinese women's volleyball team to WIN the championship. It should NOT be lost because the Chinese women's volleyball team has all the strength to win it!

3. Swiss Women's Volleyball Classic / Montreux (TRAINING, 04~09 Sep)

In this game, the Chinese women's volleyball team will definitely send a substitute lineup and the secondary team to participate in the competition. This event is held at every year, and in 2013 China sent the national youth women's volleyball team led by Zhu Ting.

4. Asian Cup (TRAINING, 17~23 Sep)

In the last event, the Chinese women's volleyball team sent its secondary team to participate in the competition. They were accompanied by Zhang Changning and Gong Xiangyu in the middle of the road and won the championship. This year, it is predicted that a series of fringe national players plus young teenager potential will participate.

5. WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS (Strive for the best, 29 Sep ~ 20 Oct)

This tournament is the finale of this year. There are three most important tournaments in the women's volleyball competition, they are the Olympic Games, the World Cup and the World Championships. This is what we call “The Three Major Competitions of the Women's Volleyball”. The Chinese women's volleyball team's efforts this year are all eyeing for this tournament. They should be ready for this event!

To sum up, there are ONLY TWO IMPORTANT games this year, one is the ASIAN GAMES, the other is the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, and the other three are all more for training. The significance of the process is far greater than the results. The Asian Games and the World Championships show the everything. At these two, supposed the processes are good but without good results then they're meaningless!

2018中国女排五场赛事详解!最重要的只有这两场其他都是练兵
    https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1603035376933047120

Posted from my Huawei P9 Plus

• The South Korean women's volleyball 14 player list for the 2018 Asian Games announced: KYK leads the team

2018-07-05

the relevant info here with regard to the Chinese squad is the few facts highlighted by this article:

—On July 4th, the South Korean Volleyball Association announced the list of 14 men and women for the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, Indonesia. Among them, the women's volleyball team led by the team leader KYK, with its strongest lineup available, the goal is set at being the champion. The KOR has always attached great importance to the Asian Games.

—It's still unclear whether Lang Ping will send the main squad or the secondary one

—at the 2014 Incheon Asian Games finals, the Chinese women's volleyball team played by the second team, and was defeated by the Korean team in straight, KOR won the gold medal

—In the 2018 World Women's VNL in Ningbo leg, the Chinese women's volleyball team without Zhu Ting was badly beaten by the South Korean team at 3-0, and the score of each set did not exceed 15 points

—According to experts' predictions, such terrible defeat will force Lang Ping to play the main force in the Asian Games instead of dispatching the 2nd team, which quite makes sense!

http://m.fengfeng.cc/news/newsview.php?id=27927

• Reason China didn't send A team to 2014 Asian Games was the schedule conflicted with the 2014 World Championship. Also Korea didn't qualify so they scheduled it to their advantage. Only Thailand sent their A team to the Asian Games but didn't win.

• Jiangsu's roster in 2018 Asian Club Championship:
    S - Rong Wan-qian-bai
    OP/OH - Wu Han, Yang Wen-jin, Xu Ruo-ya, Wang Yu-qi, Chen Yi-xuan
    MB - Wang Chen-yue, Zhou Xin-yi, Wei Yu-xin, Bai Jie
    L - Zang Qian-qian

The junior players (Xu Lu-yao, Sun Yan, Ni Fei-fan, Wu Meng-jie and so on) won't participate because they will do in provincial games. Cai Bin couldn't get more players. The important point where Jiangsu is the winner of VTV9 Cup in Viet Nam is that Diao Lin-yu participated in VTV9 Cup in Viet Nam. However, nowadays, Diao Lin-yu has to pay more time for Chinese NT due to the unstable state of setters.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• Reason China didn't send A team to 2014 Asian Games was the schedule conflicted with the 2014 World Championship. Also Korea didn't qualify so they scheduled it to their advantage. Only Thailand sent their A team to the Asian Games but didn't win.

BACK THEN It's quite understandable that China prioritized the 2014 World Championship over the 2014 Asian Games due to the schedule clash. However, this year there is no such head-to-head schedule conflict. Indeed some Chinese volleyball fans hinted that China should send the main force designated for the 2018 WCH, then use the Asian Games as the WARMING-UP matches. There are merely a couple of matches where China needs to play its main lineup, that's vs JPN/KOR/THA. Just a nice fitting up for the WCH 14-roster :-)

Final verdict, I have high confident that Lang Ping will send her main force to take back the Asian Games trophy!! Time will divulge... yet today I bet my wager on it :-)

• Jiangsu's roster in 2018 Asian Club Championship:
    S - Rong Wan-qian-bai
    OP/OH - Wu Han, Yang Wen-jin, Xu Ruo-ya, Wang Yu-qi, Chen Yi-xuan
    MB - Wang Chen-yue, Zhou Xin-yi, Wei Yu-xin, Bai Jie
    L - Zang Qian-qian

The junior players (Xu Lu-yao, Sun Yan, Ni Fei-fan, Wu Meng-jie and so on) won't participate because they will do in provincial games. Cai Bin couldn't get more players. The important point where Jiangsu is the winner of VTV9 Cup in Viet Nam is that Diao Lin-yu participated in VTV9 Cup in Viet Nam. However, nowadays, Diao Lin-yu has to pay more time for Chinese NT due to the unstable state of setters.

I do believe that Diao Linyu's current commitment with the NT is showing her career advancement, moving up one ladder higher to firmly join the NT, and is eyeing to become a steady component of the NT's Main Force, at least securing her clear spot as the 2nd setter of choice (exceeding Yao Di). It is not the NT weakness or instability to ever get the better player from time to time...

And eventually, Diao Linyu's participation in ALL or Partial of the “Three Major Competitions of the Women's Volleyball” (i.e. WCH–WC–OG) may quite possibly come true!! Let's see one by one... :)

Btw what a great loss for the Jiangsu VC, to lose its Three Big sisters, Zhang—Gong—now Diao too, at once... Will be pretty tough to win the top with the current lineup :-( POOR Jiangsu, and WHAT a frustration for its famous coach, Cai Bin :aww:

• BACK THEN It's quite understandable that China prioritized the 2014 World Championship over the 2014 Asian Games due to the schedule clash. However, this year there is no such head-to-head schedule conflict. Indeed some Chinese volleyball fans hinted that China should send the main force designated for the 2018 WCH, then use the Asian Games as the WARMING-UP matches. There are merely a couple of matches where China needs to play its main lineup, that's vs JPN/KOR/THA. Just a nice fitting up for the WCH 14-roster :-)

Final verdict, I have high confident that Lang Ping will send her main force to take back the Asian Games trophy!! Time will divulge... yet today I bet my wager on it :-)

Its a quad tournament so China will not miss it. Last Asian Championships clashed with National Games so teams didn't release their best players. I just hope everyone stays healthy for the World Championships. Hope China ends the 32 year drought.