Chinese NT 2018

• Post by Markz ().

This post was deleted by YavorD: off-topic; moderation considered ().
  • The world no.1 is not only a statistic, because CHN won 2 golds and 1 silver in last three majors before this WCH. I don't want to repeat this million times. They are the TRUE world no.1 by any means. Who said teams with bad results should commit collective suicide? It is your logic, not mine.

Please don't put your words into my mouth. In sports, the winner always deserves the win and medal. But it doesn't mean that the winner is always better. The weaker person or team often can beat the stronger one by many reasons, such as luck or forms etc. Therefore, the ranking based on long term performance is more meaningful than short term performance.

Both SRB and ITA are very strong, but I don't think their team cohesion was much mature than CHN. These three teams are the best in the world currently. They can beat each other on any days, whoever make fewer mistakes or have better forms will win.

Chinese players should see the bronze medal as a "failure" because they won 2 gold and 1 silver in last four years. Particularly, Zhu won tons of gold and MVP in Europe recently. Zhu is still the same Zhu who still can win gold and MVP, but in Lang Ping's new system, Zhu is not the same Zhu anymore. I hope you can see the difference.

There are few things I do agree or I partially agree with you.

- I agree that there are many uncontrolled factors such luck; form; injury and etc can influence the outcome of a tournament.

- I partially agree with you that Zhu Ting is not the Zhu anymore. There are multiple factors why Zhu Ting is "not" the Zhu anymore. But It's unfair and it's inaccurate to blame only on Lang Ping’s “new” system.

Those things I disagree with you

- Team cohesion:

The ITA and SRB teams are both like a well-oiled machine and their player's connections are almost perfect. As for the Chinese team in this tournament, they have only 4 reliable and predictable players (Zhu, Yuan, Yan and Ding). The other players are either their skills or performance are limited or they have lot of question marks because they were newcomers or they just came back from an injury. And yes, the ITA and the SRB teams had better team cohesion than the Chinese team in this tournament. Building the team cohesion needs times and lots of trials and errors. But given the circumstance which Lang Ping has to deal with, I think she did an excellent job.

- The definition of failure:

From my perspective, we can define “failure” only base on factors that we can control or on things we know in advance. If players underperform or didn’t do what they should do or a coach took lots of silly decisions, then yes I agree with you that the bronze medal is a “failure”. But in this tournament, tell me which Chinese players were underperformed or they didn’t do what they should do? The only player you can probably “blame” for the so-called “failure” was Zhang. But she just came back from an injury and from a surgery. So you can’t expect her to perform as she was in RIO2016 overnight. As for Lang Ping, it’s easy for us to play expert afterward with our assumptions. But given the great number of unknown factors she had to deal with during this tournament, I think she did an excellent job.

There are also many positive things the Chinese team had shown during this tournament. What impress me the most are firstly, I was pleasantly surprised how LYY can handle so well the pressure even though this teenager has just a little international competition exposure. Secondly, I had lots of admiration for Yan Ni. Because she just dispelled the myth of “old” Chinese players with her outstanding performance. Basically, these two players just set a new standard in the Chinese NT.

• There are ......

I think Zhu, Yan, Ding, Gong, Li, Wang played very well. Zhang played below her standard because of injury as you said. I think Yuan played very badly in the semi-final. Her height is more than 2 meters, but she is too slow and don't know how to block. She is not a good middle blocker at this level. I don't think this is her fault, though.

Who should be blamed for the "failure"? I think Lang Ping selected those players to play for her system (every coach has a system). If a player didn't follow her order or didn't play well, she can choose/sub another player. Therefore, if her system didn't work, she should take the responsibility. She was one of the best coach, but I think her level dropped a lot in this WCH.

• i wouldnt consider the Chinese team unsuccesful..they got the bronze..they managed to be on the podium,however we can't say that they dont have any problems..bcz they have..though the problem is not as serious as some other teams' like Brazil etc...

• and in all of the WCh, they only lost to one team, ITA (2x). they did not face SRB, but they beat RUS, US and NED. they did not take it easy on any team or lose on purpose or because they did not care, when they could have. they played every match to win.

• I've been doing a little catch up watching some China games I missed, specifically looking at Li YY's reception/passing. I'm not a coach and I don't know anything about volleyball BUT I say YY is going to grow into a great receiver/passer. Soon. She has long, soft arms, and what looks to me like good technique. Must be her decision making holding her back. She'll conquer that in no time. :* A tremendous young player!

• You can see that the training has been working for her, especially since her debut in the VNL. I think it was more of her nerves that makes her struggle. The only thing I'm worried about is that Tianjin got a foreigner specifically to pass/receive. Hopefully the coach lets her practice in this area.

• I think it was more of her nerves that makes her struggle.

That's a better way of saying 'her decision making is holding her back'. You can almost see what nervousness she has drifting away already, from VNL to WCh. Confidence is a game changer.

Lang Ping is the Coach, and there are probably a lot of others involved in her development, but I wonder what kind of a mentor Zhu Ting is.

• http://www.volleychina.org/b/2018/1110/5068.html

The hopestar training camp in 2018 (equalling to U18 NT):

Head Coach: Xu Jian-de

Assistant Coaches: Xie Ji-yang, Wang Qi (male), Guo Tong

Players:

Yan Yang, Liu Mei-jun, Dong Ming-xiao, Gao Zheng, Wang Zi-meng, Han Wen-xu, Wang Yi-fei, Yang Xiao-rui, Zhou Ye-tong, Wu Meng-jie, Wu Zhen-zi, Wang Wen-han, Fan Meng-yu, Wang Jing-nan, Zhang Xin-yu (female), Zhang Ke-fan, Zhang Xin-ling, Gao Hui-yi

My favourite roster of Chinese
    male NT:
    S - Li Run-ming, Zhan Guo-jun
    OP - Dai Qing-yao, Jiang Chuan
    OH - Ji Dao-shuai, Xia Run-tao, Liu Li-bin, Zhang Chen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Chen Long-hai, Geng Xin
    L - Ren Qi

female NT:
    S - Ding Xia, Yao Di
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Zhang Chang-ning
    OH - Hui Ruo-qi, Zhu Ting, Liu Xiao-tong, Li Jing
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Yan Ni, Xu Yun-li
    L - Lin Li

My avatar is Jiang Chuan. I hope more persons love him.