Brazilian NT 2018 - who deserves the spot?

• Changing the coaching staff will not change anything. Right now, Brazil simply does not have a good squad and there is no one outside of the team who either could do better or has the experience to play in a world level. People can talk all they want about integrating young players from the youth categories, but 1) none of them have the star power as Egonu and Boskovic, for example; 2) Brazil is not known for skipping age categories like most teams are doing these days.

Also, it is always good to remember that Zé is a 3 TIME Olympic gold medalist. Like it or not, the guy knows what he is doing.

• Brazil just lost to itself that last set. Its definitely psychological. Brazil just forget that they are Brazil and they struggle. Now they are going to lose the match, just wait :(

EDIT: Brazil won. I am waiting for the quote :p

• A few points I would like to make after Brazil's performance in 2018:

1. Ze Roberto need to figure it out how to get a stable reception line. We need to see how players will perform this season, but I guess he needs to call someone who can receive even if it means that we are going to play like Serbia. In some matches the reception line was terrible and Ze could not do anything, because he had Natalia, Drussyla, Rosamaria and Gabiru as options in the bench.

2. Players who wants to be in NT should play with the team for the entire year. Garay had an amazing Superliga, but she lacked court time when she decided to play for the NT. She could have done way better than she did.

3. We need setters to be less conservative. Brazil's game was never characterized (or limited) by sets to OH and OPP. I was shocked about how bad was the connection between the MBs with Roberta and Dani. We won't win anything playing a conservative game because our players are not able to kill high and predictable sets to the back and front all the time.

4. We need to stop relying on experienced players simply because they are experienced. If these players are not playing their best, I think they shouldn't be so untouchable. And IMO Ze needs to open his horizons to other players immediately. Gabiru as a backup libero is shameful, especially after being out of court for a long time due to an injury. Players should be called given their performance in leagues they play. It may sound harsh but NT is not a rehabilitation center.

• I agree completely. I have a lot of thoughts about the team this year and I'm not sure I'm able to put them into words yet, but... I just hope Zé can put together a better plan, starting with next year's VNL. More importantly, I hope at least one younger player stands out in this Superliga to help give us at least a tiny little bit of hope, but knowing how our youth squads are doing, it's hard to have any real expectations...

• Disappointed as to how serbia played against japan and netherlands. But i cannot blame them. They were already promoted to the next round of the competition.

Brazil’s loss to germany is really the precursor of their elimination.

On the other group, the one we call the group of death im not happy that usa won because russia got eliminated. In as much as i like serbia in their first round, i really commend china because they play to develop the sport even if they are already classified.

I wish that china or italy will win it all.

Serbia got me irritated when they play like losing the game in order to eiminate another strong team.

Anyway, good luck to the world club championship!

I wish garay and tandara even roberta and ade wont retire to nt, the rest might as well pack your bags.

Ze really put an end to the career of drussyla and rosamaria with the insistence of amanda in the vleague.

• Drussyla is literally 22 years old and Rosa 24. How exactly is this the end of their career?

Ze must let them play. Invest on them and not to amanda in order for them to develop and gain confidence.. Your being literal. Tsk tsk

• We need young players especially on the central. Adenizia is a mistake. She's a bench player for all the time under Walewska,Fabiana and Thaisa. Still a bench player under Carol, Bia and even Thaisa at the last moment. :gone:

I'm sorry to Tandara but she was a pipoqueira.I hope Ze or the next coach explores the possibility of Lorenne and Julia Bergmann in the selection. Brazil needs an opposite who can play under pressure and sadly Tandara wasn't up to the responsibility. Maybe competition will help and she's also old and be unfit to continue to become protagonist.

Who knows what will happen in two years before Tokyo. She may not be the same player as she is today.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I agree completely. I have a lot of thoughts about the team this year and I'm not sure I'm able to put them into words yet, but... I just hope Zé can put together a better plan, starting with next year's VNL. More importantly, I hope at least one younger player stands out in this Superliga to help give us at least a tiny little bit of hope, but knowing how our youth squads are doing, it's hard to have any real expectations...

I am hoping for good performances of youger players as well. I am trying to follow the development of Diana, a MB playing for São Caetano this season. She has a good slide attack and seems consistent for her age (18 y/o). In OH position, I guess we are well served with many attackers with poor reception skills, so I guess maybe he could try Mari Paraíba and Amanda again.

If they play well, I would love to see Edinara (as OPP) and Milka with the main NT.

• Júlia Bergmann is 17. She hasn't won anything significant in the youth categories yet, let alone play a game in the Superliga.

I'm personally looking forward to Diana Alecrim (19, MB) this year. She might (hopefully) be a starter in São Caetano and I believe she has the potential to be a good asset in the future. I really wish Vivian Jorge (S) would play more as well. She has already played one or two seasons as a bench player in Brasília and I think she can become a great setter in the future from what I've seen.

As for the other positions, there's... Glayce? She has played one or two seasons already but is still super shaky. There's Tainara too and I hope Zé lets her play in Barueri this year, but...

Let me make sure that I'm just throwing names around and not saying these players are our salvation and should be in the NT at all costs. I'm just trying to be hopeful. lol

• I'm sorry to Tandara but she was a pipoqueira.I hope Ze or the next coach explores the possibility of Lorenne and Julia Bergmann in the selection. Brazil needs an opposite who can play under pressure and sadly Tandara wasn't up to the responsibility. Maybe competition will help and she's also old and be unfit to continue to become protagonist.

Who knows what will happen in two years before Tokyo. She may not be the same player as she is today.

I would love to see younger players with the NT as well, but they need to start making better career decisions. Lorenne probably earned some good amount of money in the past seasons playing for Osasco and Rio, but is she always going to be a bench player? I am sure she could find a spot for her in an intermediate team to play in Brazil (like Pinheiros and São Caetano) or even in a good team overseas. Same story with Naiane, Edinara, Juma, Fran, Paula Borgo, Lays... All of them play for top teams in Brazil, but they won't get many chances to play. Whats the point then? :aww:

About Julia Bergmann, I guess it is not her time yet. She's only 17, still plays for her hometown team bc she wants to graduate from secondary school. I don't think it is appropriate to invite players who are not even pro yet.

• I am hoping for good performances of youger players as well. I am trying to follow the development of Diana, a MB playing for São Caetano this season. She has a good slide attack and seems consistent for her age (18 y/o). In OH position, I guess we are well served with many attackers with poor reception skills, so I guess maybe he could try Mari Paraíba and Amanda again.

If they play well, I would love to see Edinara (as OPP) and Milka with the main NT.

Damn, I was just writing about Diana while you posted this. lol I'm really rooting for her. I remember last year when she entered a game and made like, 7 blocks in just a few sets. She has the height and raw talent and hopefully Rizola works well with her.

I'm not sure about Edinara as OPP, she's too short and I think she hits better from position 4. Too bad her reception is horrible.

Also, I understand why Mari Paraíba gets brought up all the time, but if we're looking for an actual renewal (which I think is what the team needs), she's not that. Neither is Amanda.

• At this point at his career I don`t think Ze Roberto feels ready for the challenge of working with younger players...which is something not easy and takes a lot of work. It might sound easy when we watch Zhu, Egonu and Boskovic...but these players are simply rare and their mentality is way above their age that`s why they can perform at such a young age.

Look at Edinara and Naine...they both regressed a lot in Barueri by working with Ze......I understand Naine got injured but Edinara was having a great SuperLiga and then they both got benched by the arrival of 2 injured veteran players...and we can include Thaiza as well.

And this upcoming season they will be on the bench....

He simply can`t trust younger players because we can`t work with them... He never gives the opportunity for anyone new to play. Remember when Tandara was Sheilla`s sub she barely got the chance to play like ever....including Grand Prix and Friendly Games...at the 2013 Champions Cup when Thaiza asked for a break he simply brought Waleuska back ( or it was Gataz??) anyways that was ridiculous. And he has always been like this.

But the main problem was taking to Japan a roster where almost every player is simply not fully healthy. Let`s see the players that had some kinda of injury this season. Natalia,Gabi,Gabiru,Thaiza,Tandara,Bia,Suellen,Drussyla and Dani Lins coming back....9 of 14....way too many.

But they do have what it takes to bounce back.

• I think Brazil will be going through growing pains like the USA. Except Brazil had injuries this year. The older players are getting older and still playing because the younger ones just don't have the experience to play in major tournaments. I think each team has setters that are good but struggle with consistency and the 3 setter who are reserves are just not ready to play. Does Brazil have a true libero. Suellen, but she and Gabiru (who is not a true libero) have been hurt. Suellen just for a short time. USA has a libero problem none of the ones that have come out in the last year or two have done well in tournament. Kelsey is a very good athlete but has limited time playing libero and it shows. Where's Fabi? OPPs. Tandara is good but struggling for some reason? Lowe came out of retirement because we had no one else but she struggles too. Kelly is doing well but sets to her are bad. Brazil does have a OH problem. Fe is not the answer, Natalie is injured and Gabi isn't the answer either. USA Larson is older and her hitting isn't like it used to be but you need her as a 6 rotation player. Kim is hot and cold and MBH can do well. I think USA has an upper hand with MB. Brazil no one has shined but also they have to get a good set.

Ze...need a new coach. He is such a downer.

• I think Brazil will be going through growing pains like the USA. Except Brazil had injuries this year. The older players are getting older and still playing because the younger ones just don't have the experience to play in major tournaments. I think each team has setters that are good but struggle with consistency and the 3 setter who are reserves are just not ready to play. Does Brazil have a true libero. Suellen, but she and Gabiru (who is not a true libero) have been hurt. Suellen just for a short time. USA has a libero problem none of the ones that have come out in the last year or two have done well in tournament. Kelsey is a very good athlete but has limited time playing libero and it shows. Where's Fabi? OPPs. Tandara is good but struggling for some reason? Lowe came out of retirement because we had no one else but she struggles too. Kelly is doing well but sets to her are bad. Brazil does have a OH problem. Fe is not the answer, Natalie is injured and Gabi isn't the answer either. USA Larson is older and her hitting isn't like it used to be but you need her as a 6 rotation player. Kim is hot and cold and MBH can do well. I think USA has an upper hand with MB. Brazil no one has shined but also they have to get a good set.

Ze...need a new coach. He is such a downer.

Fabi retired before 2016 Olympic Games. Tandara struggles because she can't handle pressure, she does not have the mentals to be the "number one" for Brazil - the same I think about Roberta, I don't know if she is mentally good enough for the task she needs to do . I think Fe Garay would be a great tutor of some kind to new OHs, Drussyla can do amazing with some directions, because potential she has, a lot! And I don't know why Gabi cannot be "the answer", she is young, she has technique and she has passion, with an organized team she can do amazing things (even Zhu Ting said that Gabi is a wonderful player)

• Fabi was the absolute best. She even knew when to retire as well, as her performance was starting to decline a little bit for the last couple of seasons. I can only hope there will be someone as good as her in the future.

• I like diana alecrim 19y.o. Mb from sae caetano and also the second opposite from pinheiros. She is a lefty

• Fabi retired before 2016 Olympic Games. Tandara struggles because she can't handle pressure, she does not have the mentals to be the "number one" for Brazil - the same I think about Roberta, I don't know if she is mentally good enough for the task she needs to do . I think Fe Garay would be a great tutor of some kind to new OHs, Drussyla can do amazing with some directions, because potential she has, a lot! And I don't know why Gabi cannot be "the answer", she is young, she has technique and she has passion, with an organized team she can do amazing things (even Zhu Ting said that Gabi is a wonderful player)

I hope next year.. the new ones will fill some vacacies...

Setter - roberta

Opposite - tandara

Oh - gabi, natalia

Libero - ???? Camilla brait or natalia autajo??? Suelen is coming from injury

Mb - bia