German NT 2018

• Looks like some troubles are ahead: according to a newspaper from Stuttgart, several Bundesliga clubs (mostly Stuttgart, Dresden and Wiesbaden) are unhappy about Koslowski double role as NT coach and coach of Schwerin and demand that this ends. They say that they have worse chances to sign German talents because they prefer to go to Schwerin, thinking this will be better for their NT career. Schwerin's manager and Koslowski contradict this reproach.
    The cue for this discussion is the recent transfer of Kimberly Drewniok, cancelling her contract with Wiesbaden one year early in order to sign with Schwerin. Wiesbaden's coach is very annoyed by that but Evers said that everything went the regular way and if Wiesbaden had refused to let her go they would have accepted it and signed her in 2019.

• I can understand this questioning, honestly I dont really like coaches training club and Nt in same gender...I do think it makes an impact on how players approach the club. Even if its not intended, and even if the coach in question does not use that "advantage" in any form, it kind of makes a pressure on players. Its hard to refuse a proposal from NT coach, cause if its not Felix, Im pretty sure managers will raise that doubt so it makes harder to refuse it. The same happen in Brazil and in Turkey....I think its something it can be avoided

• I can understand this questioning, honestly I dont really like coaches training club and Nt in same gender...I do think it makes an impact on how players approach the club. Even if its not intended, and even if the coach in question does not use that "advantage" in any form, it kind of makes a pressure on players. Its hard to refuse a proposal from NT coach, cause if its not Felix, Im pretty sure managers will raise that doubt so it makes harder to refuse it. The same happen in Brazil and in Turkey....I think its something it can be avoided

Totally agree. I would not complain if they were coaches in other countries, because the foreign rules could avoid an accumulation of high level players from the same nationality in the same club.

• The main problem is that DVV can't afford a full-time NT coach. Koslowski has a regular contract for the whole year as coach of Schwerin and only a fee contract (Google translator tells me that this is the term :D ) with DVV, that means he only gets paid for the actual work he does from May till October there. In other words that means that Schwerin still pays him also from May till October even though he doesn't really "work" for them in that period, so they also have a disadvantage by him being NT coach.

And taking the thought further, assistant coaches of NT then also shouldn't be allowed as coaches in VBL. Saskia van Hintum managed to get Denise Imoudu and Lisa Gründing to Aachen now that she's NT assistant, why do Stuttgart and Dresden not complain about that as well?

• The main problem is that DVV can't afford a full-time NT coach. Koslowski has a regular contract for the whole year as coach of Schwerin and only a fee contract (Google translator tells me that this is the term :D ) with DVV, that means he only gets paid for the actual work he does from May till October there. In other words that means that Schwerin still pays him also from May till October even though he doesn't really "work" for them in that period, so they also have a disadvantage by him being NT coach.

And taking the thought further, assistant coaches of NT then also shouldn't be allowed as coaches in VBL. Saskia van Hintum managed to get Denise Imoudu and Lisa Gründing to Aachen now that she's NT assistant, why do Stuttgart and Dresden not complain about that as well?

But DVV can afford Giani's contract. I don't think that contract is cheap.

• Totally agree. I would not complain if they were coaches in other countries, because the foreign rules could avoid an accumulation of high level players from the same nationality in the same club.

Yeah, that is a situation I could get on board with too, its better than in their own country for sure...but still I think I'd prefer if they didnt coach same gender.

• It may be :offtopic: but I just watched Kozuch play against Kerry Walsh and Branagh in Gstaad and she's doing pretty good.. she can even set overhead! I mean that's a skill even all time beach volleyball players can't learn, and she can do it. Unfortunately I don't think her attacking approach is the right one for the sand.. also she has always been a crafty player, with a big attacking variety but that included tips, and shots off the block.. I don't find her spike placement that good.. However I'm glad she enjoys playing on the beach, wish her a successful career

• Monza published a news that Hanna Orthmann had a knee surgery due to a minor meniscus injury and is doing rehab in Italy. They say she'll be completely ready for next season, but I assume it might mean she'll be out of NT for the rest of the summer :(

• A newspaper from Wiesbaden announced that their new OH Nele Barber (former JNT player) has been invited to NT training for WCH. I got the full list from a private source; there are no major surprises other than that. Orthmann is on the list after all so she might be ready for WCH apparently.

• DVV now published the list of players for WCH preparation starting on Monday:

S: Denise Hanke, Denise Imoudu, Pia Kästner

OPP: Kimberly Drewniok, Louisa Lippmann

OH: Nele Barber, Maren Fromm, Jennifer Geerties, Hanna Orthmann, Jana-Franziska Poll, Lena Stigrot, Ivana Vanjak (also MB?)

MB: Lisa Gründing, Marie Schölzel, Leonie Schwertmann, Barbara Wezorke

L: Lenka Dürr, Anna Pogany

From VNL team, Jennifer Pettke is out and as posted before Nele Barber has been added to the OHs. DVV lists Vanjak as OH but I still think she has better chances as MB due to her height and the weaknesses of the other MBs.

• Why is Pettke out? She is not a great MB but considering other options she seemed to be best next to Scholzel, and she also has more experience in international level. :whistle:

Did you get any chance to watch Nele? I remember her from youth/junior NT but then she was just back-up player for Geerties and Izquerdo. I wonder if playing in USA improved her a lot

• I have no idea why Pettke is out, there has been no info. Maybe since she's the oldest of all the MBs and doesn't have a perspective to become better than she is already she decided to leave, but I don't know...

Towards the end of the Junior tournaments of the 94/95 generation Barber was starter and I remember that I thought she was pretty good then, but I have no idea how she developed in the USA unfortunately.

• I remember watching a couple of games from Vanjak couple of years ago on NCAA, she was quite strong OH.

• A newspaper from Münster mentions that Koslowski cut two players from the team before the friendly matches with NED, and since today Denise Imoudu and Nele Barber were nowhere to be seen, I assume it was them.

I'm surprised he takes Pia Kästner to WCH as backup setter. I don't think she's ready yet, Imoudu is more experienced and stable IMO. We better hope nothing happens to Hanke...

• Leonie Schwertmann and Hanna Orthmann are the last players cut by Koslowski.

At MB position it really doesn't matter if Schwertmann or Wezorke is on bench, but I don't like Poll/Vanjak going over Orthmann. My hope is that Orthmann didn't make it due to her recent knee surgery, if she's healthy she definitely should be there!