Serbian NT 2018

• Post by Canter ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • Btw, the fact that Terzic is Novak Djokovic's uncle-by-marriage is sometimes used by those who don't like Terzic and criticise him as the reason for him staying as coach of NT for so long despite supposedly "having no clue". I know, makes no sense, but a lot of people in Serbia are still bitter about the whole Anja Spasojevic's debacle (and to a lesser degree, about Vesna Citakovic and Ivana Djerisilo), who is mythologised here, at least among casual volleyball watchers (in no small part due to her beauty).

• I think he has a daughter, but it's next to impossible to know anything about his personal life. The word that he's Novak's uncle only got out when Novak himself said it during the ECh '11 when he came to watch Serbia's medal matches live.

I thought volleyball player Aleksandra Terzic was his daughter.

• Congrats, Serbia! Clearly deserved!

I remember watching Serbia in 2006 semifinals against Brazil (Serbia+Montenegro). They won a set, and that was already a great result and surprising for us Brazilians because I personally had never even heard of that team before. Then they won the bronze medal. I miss Spasojevic. I loved to see her play in Italy.

• i think OPP Ivana Djerisilo was playing well during the WCH in 2006 and Eczacıbaşı had managed to sign her and i was happy to learn that bcz Italian club teams were the best back then , they could have signed her easily but Eczacı had done that, also Eczacı wasnt as strong as they are currently

• Ah, this talk is making me feel nostalgic! WCh '06 was a truly magical experience, in a way even more so than this year's gold medal, because I can't even begin to explain how unexpected that was. And to this day it still bothers me that the two biggest stars of that team (Anja Spasojević and Ivana Đerisilo) never played together on NT again, and that neither of them really fulfilled their potential.

Anja's first season in Novara (2004/05) showed so much promise. She was only 21 and she was already in the starting line-up alongside such names as Glinka and De Carne, and she was doing great. Then the next season the team changed almost completely, Aguero, Osmokrović and Pirv were brought in and Anja spent most of the season on the bench. I still believe this affected her development a lot. And then of course the whole fiasco with Terzić happened in 2007/08 and her career gradually went into tailspin.

Ivana Đerisilo was also doing great at the time, being the team's most prolific scorer (and she had a mean serve), but she had a nasty shoulder injury in 2007 forcing her to miss the ECh that year and she was never really the same after that. And just as she was about to recover, she got injured again and that time it really was over for her as a top level player. She also had a huge public fall-out with Terzić at one point (after ECh '09, IIRC), going as far as thrashing him both as a coach and as a person, but strangely enough, the two managed to reconcile somehow and she was back on NT again after a few years, even playing at the London Olympics - not that it helped much, though.

It's ironic that Jelena Nikolić was considered the team's weakest link at the time and yet she went on to have a much bigger career than these two.

• what tournament did that lineup of Serbia consisting of Anja-Ivana-Nikoliç-Vesna come out as a good team during ?

that should have been before the WCH 06 ? (i dont think long before)

i remember they had played at a tournament but it is still kind of foggy in my memory..

that lineup had beat Turkey 3-2 ? then they had lost 3-2 to Russia

i had felt so frustrated..i was like : " how come? where this team came out out of nothing ?" :lol:

• I'm almost certain you're referring to the Grand Prix qualies in 2006. Turkey had beaten Russia and Italy previously, while Serbia lost to both. So in the last round Turkey needed to win against Serbia in order to qualify for GP for the first time ever, while for Serbia it had no significance as they were already eliminated. However, Serbia came out determined to fight and eventually won the match 3-2, with the 5th set even going to distance, IIRC. Thus Turkey was unexpectedly eliminated and I remember most of their players were VERY upset about it. So when the two team met again at WCh a few weeks later, things looked to be quite frosty between them and there was a lot of tension on court, coming from Neslihan in particular.

• I'm almost certain you're referring to the Grand Prix qualies in 2006. Turkey had beaten Russia and Italy previously, while Serbia lost to both. So in the last round Turkey needed to win against Serbia in order to qualify for GP for the first time ever, while for Serbia it had no significance as they were already eliminated. However, Serbia came out determined to fight and eventually won the match 3-2, with the 5th set even going to distance, IIRC. Thus Turkey was unexpectedly eliminated and I remember most of their players were VERY upset about it. So when the two team met again at WCh a few weeks later, things looked to be quite frosty between them and there was a lot of tension on court, coming from Neslihan in particular.

you're right..thanks