CEV Champions League 2019

• Yesterday the Italian federation already leaked (twitter), that the both CL finals will be in Berlin, i.e. the women's final on Saturday, the 18. May 2019. Tomorrow the CEV will officially announce also the hall (either Max Schmeling or Mercedes Benz, the first has 8.500, the latter about 12.000 capacity). Due to their poor results (aside from Stuttgart) no German club will make it to the quarters but one, and that one (Stuttgart) will fail for sure in the quarters or finally in the semis. So they avoid any kind of home advantage, what seems to be part of the final location selection for now.

• Yesterday the Italian federation already leaked (twitter), that the both CL finals will be in Berlin, i.e. the women's final on Saturday, the 18. May 2019. Tomorrow the CEV will officially announce also the hall (either Max Schmeling or Mercedes Benz, the first has 8.500, the latter about 12.000 capacity). Due to their poor results (aside from Stuttgart) no German club will make it to the quarters but one, and that one (Stuttgart) will fail for sure in the quarters or finally in the semis. So they avoid any kind of home advantage, what seems to be part of the final location selection for now.

It is safe to say there will not be any German team including men's and women's in the semis. I think German fans are great. But will they fill a 8K seat arena? Or even have it 50% or so sold? 2 years ago Conegliano arena was not even full for the final. Last year Bucaresti did a nice job but their arena was small.

I'm afraid maybe only like 1 or 2K people will show up.

I would prefer CEV would simply pick one of the finalist to host. Let's say the final is Vakifbank and Novara....in this case Vakifbank gets to host ( or Novara).

• It is well possible, because men's co-organizing club Berlin Recycling Volleys is pretty good to fill at least the Max Schmeling hall. Let's wait, what they can do, but it is possible, that they can attract 8.000 visitors I think.

• Should Stuttgart draw happily Fenerbahce for the quarters and not Novara and neither Eczacibasi: Fenerbahce is not that impressive, that I would exclude the possibility of an upset, despite even Fenerbahce would be the favourite.

• Indeed both finals, women's and men's, will take place on the same day (in deviation of the original planning) Saturday 18. May 2019 in Max-Schmeling hall with standard capacity of 8.500 seats in Berlin - the club Berlin Recycling Volleys announced together with the other stakeholders, the CEV and both German DVV and VBL to take care to make it an attractive event.

• 3 days before the VNL begins? I guess the players in the CL final will definitely be skipping the first week or 2 of that event then.

• Will Berlin Recycling Volleys benefit from co-hosting the Champions League Super Finals?

I think that they have sponsors for the costs. On the other hand, it is a nice feat after they lost badly in the pool stage the chances to proceed...

• Today the first three matches of fifth pool round take place: while Dynamo Kazan is also clear-cut favourite in Hämeenlinna as Novara in Lodz against Budowlani, the other match Schwerin vs. LKS Commercecon Lodz is much more open than the quotes suggest IMHO. The latter two have no chance anymore to qualify for the quarters though. Novara can secure the pool win and Dynamo Kazan will keep alive their chances to proceed to the quarters, currently not sitting in one of the three eligible second place positions (which Budowlani does before this match day).

• Tomorrow everything will be clear who is going in the next phase. Scandicci is almost 100%, but Conegliano needs to win.

Perfect score for both teams would be 3:2 for Conegliano. Scanidcci needs just one point.

• But even though Conegliano won last two matches with 3:2, they are first in pool because they will have 1 lose and Scandicci two. In this situation Scandicci is second and they are going through next phase.

Numbers of victories over points.

• Twardowska is back in the match squad. Also Stoltenborg is playing (she had a small injury)