Trash Can Thread: All Volleyball related discussions

• In relation to the controverisal goal of Japan against Spain in World Cup, does the same rules apply to volleyball? This is some of the explanation for that controversial situation that people came up with on Twitter. Does this apply to volleyball to?

Well, the rules are different in different sports. I'm not sure why it's controversial.

In volleyball (and other sports where the objective of the sport is to get the ball to hit the ground -- like badminton and tennis) the criteria for in is typically that any area of the ball that has pressed down into the court and is touching the line is considered in.

in football, it seems that the criteria is that as long as any part of the ball is within the boundary, it is considered in, which makes sense since for the ball to go out in football it doesn't actually need to touch the ground like in the sports mentioned above.

• Well, the rules are different in different sports. I'm not sure why it's controversial.

In volleyball (and other sports where the objective of the sport is to get the ball to hit the ground -- like badminton and tennis) the criteria for in is typically that any area of the ball that has pressed down into the court and is touching the line is considered in.

in football, it seems that the criteria is that as long as any part of the ball is within the boundary, it is considered in, which makes sense since for the ball to go out in football it doesn't actually need to touch the ground like in the sports mentioned above.

that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the clarification.

• To be honest, I am more concerned with Russian doping history regarding volleyball, it is so shady with Musersky or Butko cases, with a knowledge about institutionalized doping in other sports, you may wonder about a scale of it in vball.

I have no idea where to post it since I don't see a topic dedicated to doping in volleyball, so ... another former NT Russian player (Dmitry Ilynykh) banned for doping covered up by local authorities in the past. You may wonder about a scale of this institutionalized doping in Russia in volleyball as well since this is another well-known name (after Musersky and Butko) banned after a long time (I think we talk about 2013-14 period when their samples got positive and penalties from 21-23 period). What a mess.

Eg. Belgorod won Champions League in 2014 with Musersky and Ilynykh as starters...

• I have no idea where to post it since I don't see a topic dedicated to doping in volleyball, so ... another former NT Russian player (Dmitry Ilynykh) banned for doping covered up by local authorities in the past. You may wonder about a scale of this institutionalized doping in Russia in volleyball as well since this is another well-known name (after Musersky and Butko) banned after a long time (I think we talk about 2013-14 period when their samples got positive and penalties from 21-23 period). What a mess.

Eg. Belgorod won Champions League in 2014 with Musersky and Ilynykh as starters...

Quite sad too. I don't see why they need to dope. They're already the physical embodiment of the game. I wonder if there's some issues with the women's side though? I remember Goncharova saying they got visited by WADA in random hours during the Rio olympics (like early mornings).

• Quite sad too. I don't see why they need to dope. They're already the physical embodiment of the game. I wonder if there's some issues with the women's side though? I remember Goncharova saying they got visited by WADA in random hours during the Rio olympics (like early mornings).

and it's kinda interesting because they got caught positive while playing in the Russian League in the antidoping tests of the Russian Fed of Volleyball. What about the antidoping tests of the FIVB and CEV? They played in the NT during those years (especially Musersky as a starter). Let's see if FIVB and CEV reveal their results. They should've been caught positive. You can't cheat international federations. Well, at least those players are paying the price now.

• Quite sad too. I don't see why they need to dope.

Well, I guess it's hard not to be tempted to dope when you think you can do it with impunity, that's the case with institutionalized doping.

But it brings few important questions, first, what about their teams' results in international competition at that time, second, how some older players that were active in this era (eg. Mikhaylov) can be trusted right now. In cycling, Contador was positive in 2010, but there was a year-long legal affair ongoing, so he got banned in late 2011 - and his results from 2010 to late 2011 were rescind based on this disqualification retrospectively. In team sports, it is more tricky, but in track and field if one player in a relay is positive, all other members have their medals revoked.

Musersky was positive in May 2013, and then ... he was a leader of Russian team that won World League - European Championship double (he was ECH MVP), and then he was a leader of Belgorod who won Champions League-Club World Championship double in 2014. And it turns out he wasn't the only one who shouldn't compete at that time in both teams, and it's pretty naive to assume that the list ends on him and Ilynykh. Considering Musersky got some shadow ban we were unaware of in the first place for quite some time (basically he was banned in 2021 for a year and played for a while in NT in that period, LOL), I don't think CEV/FIVB will react in any way to that, what's quite sad, because these results can't be taken seriously now. I don't know how much some random doping can help in volleyball, but I know without Musersky these teams wouldn't succeed that much, and he shouldn't be allowed to play at that time. Ilynykh was also a starter of the best European team in this span.

It's kind of sick you don't get any punishment as a federation for your best players being dopers and actively playing despite being positive in tests.

Maybe it was more club-oriented and female volleyball has anything in common with this process, who knows. The problem is no one knows (besides those directly interested).

• I think he got shadow banned for a positive result years ago (2015 or 2013?). It got reviewed or something like that. In team sports, more than one has to be positive in the same tournament (if i'm not mistaken) for a team to be revoked. FIVB now say they do their testing outside of Russia. Considering how the spotlight is basically on Russia since 2015 for doping, I don't think any of them would risk it now.

• Considering how the spotlight is basically on Russia since 2015 for doping, I don't think any of them would risk it now.

I agree. Doping may have been more commonplace in the past (not saying all players are guilty), but I really don't think the Russians would do something like this now. Russians are arguably the most tested athletes in volleyball and Goncharova in an interview said something similar this after the whole controversy exploded.

• I think it is beautiful that some players stay in the same club for a long time and become iconic. Gözde in Vakıfbank, Eda in FB, Ravva in Cannes, Wolosz in Conegliano etc.

With unsurpassed success with national teams, IMO the most inspiring parts of the history of this sport are written in this way.

A very nice topic, one that makes you dig your memory.

Besides this mentioned players some names came to my mind even without any thinking such as Piccinini - Bergamo and Goncharova - Moscow. Also i would add De Gennaro, i can't imagine her in any other club than Imocco.

I definetly wouldn't put Wolosz in this basket, at least not in this moment, even it is unquestionable that there is an obvious potential that it will be so in the future, but comparing her 6 seasons with Rava's 20 in Cannes or Gozde 18 in Vakifbank is still inappropriate to me. But also it's fair to say that her big advantage is that she is on her way to accomplish this as foreigner. Rasic was close to becoming a serious contender for this segment but the fall came too fast and too soon TBCH.

• Wolosz and De Kruijf have the same years in Imoco I think

Other notable players would be Saori Kimura and Saori Sakoda at Toray Arrows. Risa Shinnabe at Hisamitsu Springs. They started in those clubs straight from high school until they retired.

• Wolosz and De Kruijf have the same years in Imoco I think

Other notable players would be Saori Kimura and Saori Sakoda at Toray Arrows. Risa Shinnabe at Hisamitsu Springs. They started in those clubs straight from high school until they retired.

De Kruijf was at Imoco a year earlier than Wolosz.