CEV Champions League 2019

• Is St. Petersburg really that much better than Skra? I wouldn't be surprised if Skra ended up advancing.

EDIT: oops, thought this was the CL thread lol

If Pankov can rediscover his form, he can singlehandedly serve Skra out of the game.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Lube smoked Moscow in the first set 25-10. Yikes!

• you can definitely tell it's time for an Italian team to win CL here after years of Russian dominance!

Moscow is not even part of the Top 5 teams in Russian SL lol so I don't know if this is a good indicator of Italian teams' performance relative to their Russian counterparts :whistle:

With that said, we all know Kazan is the biggest hurdle, and if Perugia (read: Leon) manages to beat his former teammates in SF, then most likely we will see an all-Italian affair in the gold medal match.

• Moscow is not even part of the Top 5 teams in Russian SL lol so I don't know if this is a good indicator of Italian teams' performance relative to their Russian counterparts :whistle:

With that said, we all know Kazan is the biggest hurdle, and if Perugia (read: Leon) manages to beat his former teammates in SF, then most likely we will see an all-Italian affair in the gold medal match.

Yea it was actually not based just on Moscow, there are for sure better teams in Russian league, but I have been saying this for months. The Italian victory has been coming mainly because they are all playing so well and Kazan is struggling compared to their usual + now obv they got the Leon factor, the Italians

• Scherbinin is the best blocking Russian MB nowadays, even better than Muserskiy I would say. Hope he gets called back to NT and take Vlasov's spot

• So Moscow managed to steal 1 set from Lube. Let's see if this will add to their confidence and have a closer game

• Bruno setting super fast and short sets to Juantorena and Leal :) Is he ok?

Juantorena seems to like it (he is Bruno's N'gapeth replacement lol) , and that generally seems to dictate the outside attack. To be fair to Juantorena he makes it work most of the time. Leal is a bit of a nightmare because it seems to take a lot to get him into the game - fast set, low set, high set ,etc - He seems quite mentally fragile so its not so much about the setting it is about how he feels. I guess this is the problem Bruno also faces with him (together with Bruno's tendency towards manic style setting.

In this team there are few too many unstable people - Bruno with his setting, Leal with passing and hitting, Balaso with his passing and defence... this is why it takes them so much effort to win against consistent teams - because the other team doesn't need to do much more than keep being consistent - case in point whats hppening today.

• Omg what just happened, Moscow is leading 2-1

• Juantorena seems to like it (he is Bruno's N'gapeth replacement lol) , and that generally seems to dictate the outside attack. To be fair to Juantorena he makes it work most of the time. Leal is a bit of a nightmare because it seems to take a lot to get him into the game - fast set, low set, high set ,etc - He seems quite mentally fragile so its not so much about the setting it is about how he feels. I guess this is the problem Bruno also faces with him (together with Bruno's tendency towards manic style setting.

In this team there are few too many unstable people - Bruno with his setting, Leal with passing and hitting, Balaso with his passing and defence... this is why it takes them so much effort to win against consistent teams - because the other team doesn't need to do much more than keep being consistent - case in point whats hppening today.

This comment is a breath of fresh air. Thank you.

• So Lube barely managed to win the match against the current #7 team in Russian SL. Assuming Lube wins the next return match, they have to play better to beat Zenit Spb in probably the SF match in their bracket.

• It was really good that Dynamo gave their fans a good show -after that first set they just continued playing their game. Berezhko and Kooy together with the libero seemed to really be enjoying this game. so close. For Lube I guess they will draw on the positive that yet again this season they have fought their way out of a hole they shouldn't have been in the first place. It seems from what they say these days that they are believing themselves to be very determined - and that is helping them. This will have to do for this season..

They also have the advantage of playing next time at home.

Of course there is a reason why Dynamo are ranked as they are- it means they haven't been able to make the important points as often. Lube would not have been so lucky against another high ranked team..

• Lube 3:2 Moscow

An ugly win. Leal was the worst both at reception and attacking. Bruno's bad setting was also an issue. Simon had a great game. Simon's blocking, attacking and serve are all great in this game.

Moscow's defense was amazing. They played a good game even if their OHs/OPP are not as strong as Lube's. Lube's serve caused a big trouble on Moscow's reception. Berezhko played a great game and scored a few tough shots.

• Juantorena seems to like it (he is Bruno's N'gapeth replacement lol) , and that generally seems to dictate the outside attack. To be fair to Juantorena he makes it work most of the time. Leal is a bit of a nightmare because it seems to take a lot to get him into the game - fast set, low set, high set ,etc - He seems quite mentally fragile so its not so much about the setting it is about how he feels. I guess this is the problem Bruno also faces with him (together with Bruno's tendency towards manic style setting.

I agree with you. I think some of Bruno's setting to Juantorena is even faster than last year Christenson's setting. Juantorena did a good job to kill those spikes. However, sometimes the balls are a bit too low.

Since Leal's passing is a nightmare, Bruno's consistency is really crucial for Lube. They need to score as long as the passing is okay during first tempo and seize the chances during transition.