Russia - Superliga 2018/2019

• She attented an award show in Serbia on Monday, so maybe that's why she missed the game.

She was in Moscow for just a week. Im concerned over that, but i still hope she will be the first setter of the team.

How good is Marina Sheshenina?

I’m quite a fan of Sheshenina, I consider her the best Russian setter after Startseva. She’s not at Maja’s level but you don’t win an Olympic silver medal for nothing, she’s very capable.

• I’m quite a fan of Sheshenina, I consider her the best Russian setter after Startseva. She’s not at Maja’s level but you don’t win an Olympic silver medal for nothing, she’s very capable.

I agree. Sheshenina has been performing really good for years now, and many people have been questioning why is she not invited to the NT

• 1:1 due sets in first match now of Leningradka St.Petersburg vs. Zarechie Odintsovo. Last season the guests were clearly better than the hosts, but this may change.

By the way, Minsk was not that great in Russian Cup despite they had no excuse by the WCh: they have nearly exclusively Belorus players with just one Ukrainian and one Russian, no one attending WCh. The roster of Minsk didn't change that much to previous season.

• At the end Odintsovo won the opening match of the league in four sets, despite hosts in St.Petersburg resisted a lot in fourth set again (23:25). Looks unlike a strength shift from last season...

• 1:1 due sets in first match now of Leningradka St.Petersburg vs. Zarechie Odintsovo. Last season the guests were clearly better than the hosts, but this may change.

By the way, Minsk was not that great in Russian Cup despite they had no excuse by the WCh: they have nearly exclusively Belorus players with just one Ukrainian and one Russian, no one attending WCh. The roster of Minsk didn't change that much to previous season.

Its true Minsk did not impress there, but I think it could be attributed, to some degree at least, by the fact they lost their probably best player from last year in Barysevich, the middle blocker, to Chieri in Serie A. She was the best blocker and most efficient attacker, as well as one of the most productive, in the Minchanka squad last season and I do not think they are really quite the same without her.

• what do you think about Kazan-Kaliningrad ? there is a chance that Kaliningrad can win a set ?

i think it will be 3-1

At the beginning of the season now it is really hard to tell, we don't know exactly how the rosters of both team will work now. So I think the bookmaker quotes of 1.2 to 3.8 in favour of Kazan are more a guess regarding former strength of Kazan...

• At the beginning of the season now it is really hard to tell, we don't know exactly how the rosters of both team will work now. So I think the bookmaker quotes of 1.2 to 3.8 in favour of Kazan are more a guess regarding former strength of Kazan...

Kazan vs Kaliningrad on paper:

Startseva - Zivkovic

Malygina/Kadochkina - Cleger

Kotikova - Kutuykova

Bavykina - Voronkova

Samoilenko - Orlova

Zaryachko/Koroleva - Podskolnaya

Kabeshova/Ulanova - Galkina

I see an advantage for Kazan, albeit pretty slight, close to the net through their MB:s as well as on the floor defence by means of a better libero in Ulanova. However, Cleger is significantly better than Malygina on the OPP-side and Bavykina/Kotikova are not as good, in my opinion, as Voronkova/Kutuykova, so Lokomotiv should have an attacking edge. Zivkovic is also a fitting setter in line with the suitable attacking style for the likes of Cleger whom thrives while being feeded with very high sets.

All-in-all I rate this game pretty balanced/even on paper in terms of match-up player/player, however a bit might change in case Kazan might play out their "joker" on hand in the 15-year old Kadochkina, hitherto untested, successfully. Still, I am not sure at all of whom will start at the OPP-position for Kazan; Malygina, Mikiskova and Kadochkina are all relevant, and possible, options. So its a bit tough to evalute this match-up entirely.

• We even don't know how good the teams are built already as such - the WCh is not that long passed, you know.

For Kaliningrad this isnt really a problem at least. Neither the russians Orlova, Podskolnaya, Kutyukova, Galkina nor the cuban Cleger from their expected main line-up even participated there. The only ones who was there is Voronkova and Zivkovic, and the previous one has already been home for almost a month now, so WCH isnt much of a big deal for them at least, although its a completely new team of course and it will take a lot of time to get them well-oiled.

Still, I watched Kaliningrad vs Uralochka during the russian cup and wasnt impressed by the team while watching them back then, I am able to recall. Kaliningrad played without Kutyukova that time, apart from that they were flying with full wings, and their defence and reception cracked big time against a more solid Ural. Cleger was blocked many times as well. I guess we will need to find out how good their passing is before we can recognize them as a contender "for real".