2019 Challenge Cup

• The strongest teams now confirmed due to new, current CEV+Challenge Cup ranking list of CEV:

1. AYDIN BBSK (TUR)
    2. Proton SARATOV (RUS)
    3. Ladies in Black AACHEN (GER)
    4. Kanti SCHAFFHAUSEN (SUI)
    5. Viteos NEUCHATEL Universite (SUI)
    6. Agroland TIMISOARA (ROM)
    7. VDK Bank GENT (BEL)
    8. Interfreight ANTWERP Ladies (BEL)
    9. Hermes OOSTENDE (BEL)
    10.Volero LE CANNET (FRA)
    11.UTE BUDAPEST (HUN)
    12.JAZBERENY (HUN)
    13.Vasas BUDAPEST (HUN)
    14.KP BRNO (CZE)
    15.Dukla LIBEREC (CZE)
    18.Olympiacos PIRAEUS (GRE, title defender)
    19. Vero MONZA (ITA)
    24.Calcit KAMNIK (SLO)

and especially the still unknown Balkan cup winner (maybe again a Turkish team?).

• First evaluation of the DOL from yesterday, sorted due to quarters:

in the first quarter already in first round AYDIN BBSK from Turkey will meet Balkan Cup winner, in the last years it was mostly another Turkish team. Both are favourites to become a semi final participant.

Even more unbalanced it is in the second quarter: I found no single really strong team, so the biggest prospects to get to the semis might have Timisoara (newbies from Romania) and European Cups experienced Kangasala from Finland IMHO - they should took this unique opportunity.

The third quarter is a different story: Vero MONZA is the clear-cut favourite, they will meet in quarters the winner of Ladies in Black AACHEN (Germany) against Calcit KAMNIK (Slovenia). Monza might be the strongest team aside with Turkish first quarter winner, they can meet only in the finals.

The fourth quarter is lead by newbies (?) Proton SARATOV from Russia (nearby Caspian sea), but they will face in quarters most likely the winner of second round (for them both first) match of title defenders Olympiacos PIRAEUS (Greeece) and Volero LE CANNET (formerly ZÜRICH), another very unbalanced draw IMHO.

• Today Balkan cup begun with the expected first victory of Besiktas ISTANBUL against the hosts from Kosovo in Gjilan (name is Drita). The third contender is Romanian team Lugoj, which was trailing considerably the five already for European Cups qualified other Romanian teams, so Besiktas is the clear-cut favourite.

• And as expected Besiktas won the Balkan Cup and this way the last open CEV Challenge Cup berth too by a three set win against Romanian team Lugoj.

• StefanS so 1st round is already Aydın vs Beşiktaş?? :O

I think from what I know of the BJK squad they are quite strong (Rykhliuk, Mia Jerkov,Yvon Beliën, some decent locals etc.) So I think Beşiktaş would be my fav very very slightly. At the same time Aydın has a mini Dominican NT build ofc so it's really going to be a close one!

• StefanS so 1st round is already Aydın vs Beşiktaş?? :O

I think from what I know of the BJK squad they are quite strong (Rykhliuk, Mia Jerkov,Yvon Beliën, some decent locals etc.) So I think Beşiktaş would be my fav very very slightly. At the same time Aydın has a mini Dominican NT build ofc so it's really going to be a close one!

They have to play the additonal qualification round first against a completely unknown team from Kosovo (!), but yes, after that they will clash against Aydin BBSK. Once more a draw, which doesn't make any sense IMHO.

• Yes..they lost the first game from Aris who has Montano ...before some days Aris lost very easy from AO Thiras...these 3 teams I think will be in the first places..

• Remember, that this is qualification phase of this competition: that means, that even the worst teams from Europe eligible/willing to take part there now. That Olympiacos has to start at this stage too, is a bad joke by CEV.