2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• In the McClaren report published in 2016, there were at least 8 positive samples prior to London 2012 of Russian volleyball players.

In the OQ played in Berlin 2015, Markin was tested positive with meldonium (he scored 17 points in the final match versus France with the magic help of the pills) but of course, FIVB didn´t disqualify them or at least sent them to the last OQ in Japan.

I´m sad for those players who never used doping substances and they wouldn´t be able to participate in Tokyo 2020, but fo the rest of them...

• In the McClaren report published in 2016, there were at least 8 positive samples prior to London 2012 of Russian volleyball players.

In the OQ played in Berlin 2015, Markin was tested positive with meldonium (he scored 17 points in the final match versus France with the magic help of the pills) but of course, FIVB didn´t disqualify them or at least sent them to the last OQ in Japan.

I´m sad for those players who never used doping substances and they wouldn´t be able to participate in Tokyo 2020, but fo the rest of them...

testing positive for meldonium before it was banned in 2016 should literally be a non issue. If it’s not a banned substance then players are allowed to use it, if they tested positive for it now that would be a big issue. People take lots of supplements that aren’t banned because they feel it helps them perform better, they can’t be expected to know if it will ever be banned in the future.

I don’t support any athletes who dope, but it’s pretty awful to just ban a whole nation including the clean athletes. It’s not like an individual could have any control or stop state sponsored doping system. There has to be another way for athletes to prove that they don’t be dope, and those athletes should be allowed to participate in what they have worked their whole lives for

• It's not a blanket ban on all Russian athletes. I thought they made that part very clear. They can still go to the Olympics as "Olympic Athletes from Russia" like they did in Pyeongyang last year.

Any Russian athlete that can prove that they're not connected to the doping scandal can and will be allowed to go but under a neutral flag.

The ban effectively means there will be no Russian national anthem if they win. No marching with the Russian flag. No flag or the word " RUSSIA" on any uniforms...but there will definitely be Russian athletes competing in Tokyo.

• After the finals of the NCAA tomorrow, I’m taking a break from reading about volleyball. I’m not following Club ball this year except what I read on here. Hanging up my volleyball shoes and knee pads

But I don’t want to miss the qualifier. Is there some place I can find out what dates they are?

• After the finals of the NCAA tomorrow, I’m taking a break from reading about volleyball. I’m not following Club ball this year except what I read on here. Hanging up my volleyball shoes and knee pads

But I don’t want to miss the qualifier. Is there some place I can find out what dates they are?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volleyball_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Women%27s_qualification

• Really? In Germany? Wow

In Croatia, Fed is in way better position with money. I think even the best days when it comes to finicans.

. I don't if they are getting some money or not but before 2012 or even later players needed to pay their own flying tickets for some tournament :gone:

The German volleyball federation is rather poor and trying hard to finance everything they are obliged to - for example VNL home matches, they are struggling all the time (for many decades now) to keep things up financially. The federation relies completely on the clubs, which pay in German league at least the players the complete year, so they are not behaving fairly to clubs neither players in this regard, but lack of sufficient money is a major reason for it. I know, that is hard to believe for non-Germans and/or non-insiders, but it is the sad truth.

• Two training matches between Germany and Netherlands today:

GER A - NED A 1-2 (23-25, 20-25, 25-22)

GER: Hanke 2, Drewniok 13, Orthmann 16, Geerties 9, Schölzel 8, Weitzel 8, Pogany L

NED: Dijkema 0, Sloetjes 12, Meijners 11, Buijs 11, De Kruijf 9, Belien 6, Schoot L

GER B - NED B 1-3 (25-23, 17-25, 21-25, 13-15)

GER: Möllers 1, Vanjak 18, Poll 14, Stigrot 3, Gründing 9, Ambrosius 5, Bock L and Barber 3

NED: Bongaerts 4, Daalderop 16, Jasper 13, Balkestein 12, Koolhaas 10, Lohuis 8, Knip L

Lippmann and Plak did not play at all. The teams will play again tomorrow.

• Today

GER - NED 1-4 (17-25, 25-18, 20-25, 14-25, 20-25)

GER: Hanke 0, Lippmann 20, Geerties 6, Orthmann 9, Schölzel 4, Weitzel 17 (:super:), Pogany L and Möllers 1, Drewniok 4, Barber 5, Poll 4, Stigrot 3, Gründing 2, Bock L. Vanjak and Ambrosius did not play.

NED: Dijkema 0, Sloetjes 10, Buijs 11, Meijners 9, De Kruijf 14, Belien 5, Schoot L and Bongaerts 0, Daalderop 16, Balkestein 8, Jasper 3, Lohuis 3, Koolhaas 3, Knip L. Plak did not play.

One more match on 2 January.

• Daalderop doing a nice job scoring the most points as an substitution. Also de Kruijf with a good performance it seems:thumbup: