2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Brazil's might be the easist and this doesn't make Serbia's hard. That's it.

• Well, I still don't trust the FIVB not to fuck something up. However, randomly awarding points for VNL months after the fact would be too shady even for an organization like them. Keeping the points from GP/WL '17 is a good compromise solution for now - like I said, they can't keep them on indefinitely and will certainly have to come up with a new system.

So I'd say there's 90% chance that the groups posted here will be confirmed, maybe with some slight changes among the teams from "row 4".

But then again, this is the FIVB we're talking about. You never know with them.

• relax....both Brazil and Serbia will make it to Japan :lol:

I'm relaxed baby. I just commented on something and as it always happens someone comes to me to talk about Brazil:*

• Praise be! The rankings have been updated!

So the groups are as follows:

A

Serbia

Puerto Rico
    Thailand

Cuba

B

China

Turkey

Germany

Czech Republic

C

USA

Argentina

Bulgaria

Kazakhstan

D

Brazil

Dominican Republic

Cameroon

Azerbaijan

E

Russia

Korea

Canada

Mexico

F

Netherlands

Italy

Belgium

Kenya

Poland has just missed the cut-off being ranked #26, a single point behind Cuba :white:

• What!?:what:it is so unfair. Polish NT is better than many other in top 25. Unfortunately bad policy (of polish fed and FIVB) gives effect in such bad place.

Ps. World league 13th place takes 22 points while WGP 13th gets 20 points:gone: as I thought. Money played the role.

• Yup, at the end Poland missed the spot. They changed a lot in regards of point distribution for WCH qualification. 4 years ago there was no such as 3rd like in 2018. The 3rd round 4 years ago was very similar to 2nd round this year. 4 years ago the 4th team from 2nd round got also 8 points even though there was only weak teams playing in 2nd round and furthermore from 2nd round there was no direct qualification to the WCH like it was the case with 2nd round in WCHQ 2018. This year for the 3rd place in 2nd round Poland got 8 points too...

I don't want to mention that they increased the number of points for Asian teams even though there is very little teams... FIVB is pathethic. It clearly shows who is in power in FIVB. They don't give a fuck about Europe there and want to do everything to weaken european teams because they know that they don't have a chance another way.

• What really bit Poland in the ass is that inexplicable choke against Czech Republic in WCh qualies. Not only did they lose all their chances of qualifying for WCh there and then, but had they won that match and got 2nd place in the group, they would now have enough points to be in the top 25.

Anyway, Brazil's group is not the biggest joke anymore. That would have to be the group E now.

• What really bit Poland in the ass is that inexplicable choke against Czech Republic in WCh qualies. Not only did they lose all their chances of qualifying for WCh there and then, but had they won that match and got 2nd place in the group, they would now have enough points to be in the top 25.

Anyway, Brazil's group is not the biggest joke anymore. That would have to be the group E now.

That's right. Poland is the architect of their own fate, and this match has now very big consequences. But we can't change the past. I was hoping that still they will have a chance to play in this intercontinental qualification but now it is not possible because they lost 10 points in comparison with 2014 even though this time there was less european teams on WCH than in 2014 (8 to 10) and they decreased the points for the best non-qualified teams for Europe and they increased for AVC when they had 5 teams in WCH and that is so unfair. Even though in Europe we have majority of the best teams and the biggest competition, all Europe is always punished when it comes to World competition.

• Serbia, USA, Brazil and Russia will qualify easily.....

but China, Turkey, Germany, Italy and Netherlands ( Belgium if they play with their main Squad) :white::huh:

How unfair for Italy and Netherlands....especially for the Dutch as they just finished in the TOP 4 in the OG and WCH but gotta face Italy...while Brazil and Russia failed to reach the semis in both tournaments but we can say they made it to Tokyo already :pinch::down:

• What would actually be fair to you all?

You don't like the ranking, you don't like the drawings, you don't like any rules.

I wanna hear what would be the best and most honest and fairest formula.

• The host will take a good advantage. Challenge system should be a top priority for the bidding procces. It's the only thing to care about.

In fact, looking at the pools, Europe will qualify 4 teams for the Olympics as they ever do. ;) Despite London, when we had 5 european squads cause of the Great Britain, there will be the same 4 spots and, in case Turkey or Germany surprisingly wins pool B, Tokyo may have 5 european squads. The new formula actually increases the chances for european teams. It's up to Turkey and Germany to beat China and take one place. It's up to Bulgaria to win over USA and get another one. It's up to Azerbaijan to beat Brazil and be the 6th european to qualify. There's european teams spread all over the 6 pools, which gives CEV the oportunity to qualify 7 teams to the Olympic Games. One confederation out of 5 can get 7 spots in the 11 given.

I don't get the complaints.

• What would actually be fair to you all?

You don't like the ranking, you don't like the drawings, you don't like any rules.

I wanna hear what would be the best and most honest and fairest formula.

How can anyone like those rankings that have Argentina in front of Turkey? Or Netherlands behind Russia, even though they've outperformed them for THREE years in a row now? In fact, the only reason NED is ranked lower than RUS is because they didn't play at WC '15 - the tournament Russia qualified for based on their European title in 2013! Something that happened 5 years ago really shouldn't have an effect on current rankings. And yes, I'm aware that Serbia is also benefitting greatly in the rankings because of their WC '15 participation, but at least they backed it up with their later results, unlike Russia.

And now RUS is rewarded with a piss easy Olympic qualifying draw, while NED has it infinitely harder. Like pope said, it's not right.

To be clear, I do think this system is more fair than the previous one, as it gives more teams a fighting chance to qualify. Still, I wish it wasn't completely based on those rankings that are inherently faulty. Continental and World championships should serve as (pre-)qualifying tournaments for the Olympics, like in handball.

• I never said I liked it...I wanted someone to give a solution for the problems and critics towards the system, the ranking and the qualis. No need to be agressive.