2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Yes, as long Olympia is not willing to accept 16 instead 12 teams, they should at least play continental qualification before world qualification, so that Argentina and DomRep have to fight with European teams for a slot instead of easily getting a berth in the wake of Brazil and USA.

• Why are people so obsessed with the Olympic flag. If that matters so much to you, are you also supporting to have one team from Oceania in every OG? Or having a qualification tournament with south& north America combined? Because that's what the flag represent!:whistle:

• Honestly nobody's forcing you to watch OGs, you don't like it, don watch, nobody cares.

The best teams will always be there. You either get stronger or move to another continent, stop whining about it every day.

I really hope when Istanbul finally gets to host OGs, Turkey doesn't qualify automatically and then fails to qualify, how poetic:drink:

• I agree with StefanS  serdar and pope

Many people are super obsessed with the OG logo yet they are also being very hypocritical and use it only if it fits their agenda :lol:

Once again, 99% of all of us here agree that all continents should take part,

Many people here have clearly never attended a sport or have no idea how business in sports work, no a country is not suddenly going to be better just because they attended a world class event, and this has been proven many times. A country simply has to be willing to invest (money, good training, good schools, high level matches, good coaches, look for a wide pool of players etc.) so they can start improving their leagues and youth selections, all OG does is being a month of decent promotion. There is many countries in the world where a certain sport is really popular, yet they are still nowhere near good compared to other countries.

What I don't get is why anyone would still disagree with continental qualification before, world qualification as StefanS said, it would Iiterally be the most fair system.

pope s point is super valid. Many people talk about how their argument is: "volleyball should grow" but volleyball is already not very popular, it's not like we have to privilige of football and basketball so we can start making it even more worldwide when there is barely 1 country even where its the most popular sport. Now if Turkey would stop investing surely it would quite a bit problematic for high level volleyball and I imagine with so little high level clubs (paying not much) many girls would even stop pursuing volleyball as their job making the level even worse, the same goes for Poland on a lesser scale.

• Honestly nobody's forcing you to watch OGs, you don't like it, don watch, nobody cares.

The best teams will always be there. You either get stronger or move to another continent, stop whining about it every day.

I really hope when Istanbul finally gets to host OGs, Turkey doesn't qualify automatically and then fails to qualify, how poetic:drink:

No! Nobody said we don't like Olympics. This is a forum, the whole point is to argue about what you do and don't like and discuss, not to impose your views on others and move on. Actually if you don't like that you can sign off :wavy:

And btw the best teams will always be there? Netherlands was 4th in OG and have a high chance of not even making it.

• Qualification system for OG 2024 will be modified that continental qualification will take place as first. Intercontinental tournaments will be played after and it will give chance for 7 European countries in total to participate at OG. Having France as host it may be that in Paris 2024 even 8 European countries will play in each (men’s and women’s) tournament.

Also if FIVB will approve a new ranking system it may help to distribute countries to the groups much better way.

• its also funny that most people saying the higher-mid level teams like Poland, Turkey, Korea, Thailand should just suck it up are 90% from countries like Brazil, USA, sometimes China, Italy etc.

This is the whole problem with volleyball, only those top teams usually win and the teams that are on mid table, but on good level don't get the opportunity to play as much or simply there is very limited ranking points in the tournaments they do play. How can you have a fair ranking system ever like this :gone: literally the only chance they got these past few years to be ranked whatsoever was Wch.

It seems though that most agree with us since the system is indeed changing in 2024 so its alright:whistle:

• Why are people so obsessed with the Olympic flag. If that matters so much to you, are you also supporting to have one team from Oceania in every OG? Or having a qualification tournament with south& north America combined? Because that's what the flag represent!:whistle:

This a rather simplistic take on the issue at hand. If any of those countries and territories in Ocenia have an affiliated federation and are part of a larger confederation then yes, if they qualify, sure. Some dont even have a federation to speak of and most compete under the AVC.

They have two separate confederations in the Americas so that point is mute. You can question or change the process of qualification but abandoning the Olympic credo would be a huge philisophycal mistake.

I think everyone can agree that the qualification process is silly and pretty much ass backward. But that's the process that was set for now and everyone is expected operate within those lines. It might be unfair but it is what is or until the powers that be decides to change it.

• its also funny that most people saying the higher-mid level teams like Poland, Turkey, Korea, Thailand should just suck it up are 90% from countries like Brazil, USA, sometimes China, Italy etc.

This is the whole problem with volleyball, only those top teams usually win and the teams that are on mid table, but on good level don't get the opportunity to play as much or simply there is very limited ranking points in the tournaments they do play. How can you have a fair ranking system ever like this :gone: literally the only chance they got these past few years to be ranked whatsoever was Wch.

It seems though that most agree with us since the system is indeed changing in 2024 so its alright:whistle:

Having tracked the FIVB ranking system back to 2004, FIVB does not do a good job of tracking past data. I will state the following.

Final positions in a tournament matter to the FIVB. If your team is not winning, it does not get points. In the big tournaments you get 100 for winning, while 5th place gets you like 50 points. So when Brazil wins two FIVB tournaments and you finish 5th twice, you are 100 points behind Brazil.

My ranking system may catch some differences, such as ARG women being 11th in FIVB, while I have them as 21st. My points system is based on individual matches, not the end of tournament result. However in my ranking if you play in more matches (final round) you get more points if you win. Argentina does not win many international matches and therefore does not get rewarded as much. Germany is my 11th place team, 178 points ahead of Argentina. FIVB has them 38 points behind in 15th.

Russia’s women’s team dropped like a stone this year in my ranking to 10th as they kept losing in the VNL. I felt that South Korea would give them a scare if they were playing for the final match, and I was right, but they came from behind. However, if you look to next year it still is not looking good for them with my system. They had a bad year this year so far, but a good Euro champ could help them.

• Having tracked the FIVB ranking system back to 2004, FIVB does not do a good job of tracking past data. I will state the following.

Final positions in a tournament matter to the FIVB. If your team is not winning, it does not get points. In the big tournaments you get 100 for winning, while 5th place gets you like 50 points. So when Brazil wins two FIVB tournaments and you finish 5th twice, you are 100 points behind Brazil.

My ranking system may catch some differences, such as ARG women being 11th in FIVB, while I have them as 21st. My points system is based on individual matches, not the end of tournament result. However in my ranking if you play in more matches (final round) you get more points if you win. Argentina does not win many international matches and therefore does not get rewarded as much. Germany is my 11th place team, 178 points ahead of Argentina. FIVB has them 38 points behind in 15th.

Russia’s women’s team dropped like a stone this year in my ranking to 10th as they kept losing in the VNL. I felt that South Korea would give them a scare if they were playing for the final match, and I was right, but they came from behind. However, if you look to next year it still is not looking good for them with my system. They had a bad year this year so far, but a good Euro champ could help them.

I do agree with that, + USA's women's team dropped like a wall even though they won gold medals of VNL (commercial tournament) too. They barely won over Bulgaria (3-2). We dont even know USA's women team would be able to defeat Korea:/ cuz Bulgaria was the weakest team of VNL.

• Having tracked the FIVB ranking system back to 2004, FIVB does not do a good job of tracking past data. I will state the following.

I saw your system and prefer it over FIVB's sytem, if such a system was official, we would also have more high level matches as teams would fight for every match as they normally should.

• Actually, each continent deserves a place in OG - I don't disagree with that - but if you are then asking why volleyball is not popular then the answer is here. Because nobody wants to watch 25-10 * 3 match. Because nobody wants changing formula by host each time on big events (besides OG).

Where can we find your rank?

• Yes they do not goind to be better just because they played world class event. But without playing that tournaments they don't have chance to becoming better.

I love Turkey so much and i am greatful that they are so into the sport that i love. But i do not understand why fivb need to change qual. for Turkey. At last 3 OG per tournament be 4 team from Europe. If Turkey can not beat at least one of 4 teams, IMO the did not deserve ticket for OG.

And ofc that is not applies just on Turkey, Turkey is only an example as very strong team that failed to qualify for Rio 2016.

OFC is much harder to Europe team to qualify and that is unquestionably but 4 teams is not such a small number.

• No! Nobody said we don't like Olympics. This is a forum, the whole point is to argue about what you do and don't like and discuss, not to impose your views on others and move on. Actually if you don't like that you can sign off :wavy:

And btw the best teams will always be there? Netherlands was 4th in OG and have a high chance of not even making it.

Your argument is a joke. If NED is not going to make it, then that’s because they are not good enough. Are we supposed to base on last OGs as to which team should qualify? Then 12 teams should remain the same forever!

• I love Turkey so much and i am greatful that they are so into the sport that i love. But i do not understand why fivb need to change qual. for Turkey. At last 3 OG per tournament be 4 team from Europe. If Turkey can not beat at least one of 4 teams, IMO the did not deserve ticket for OG.And ofc that is not applies just on Turkey, Turkey is only an example as very strong team that failed to qualify for Rio 2016.OFC is much harder to Europe team to qualify and that is unquestionably but 4 teams is not such a small number.

Yes but the problem is actually not 4 best teams qualify from Europe in this system (although many times it's true like in Rio), just it depends who they draw in world tournaments/on their rankings which is not even being updated nor makes sense. If Turkey played Korea/Netherlands/Poland instead of China probably they would advance too. You have also seen that USA almost lost to Bulgaria and Brazil to Azerbeijan which are not TOP4 maybe not TOP8 in Europe but still Turkey has to beat them in continental qualies and many other teams like Poland, Netherlands, Germany and so on.

That's a very cheap argument! Next time you bitch about an issue I'll remind you that as well "don't watch it, if you don't like it. Nobody cares"👏

• Yes they do not goind to be better just because they played world class event. But without playing that tournaments they don't have chance to becoming better.

I love Turkey so much and i am greatful that they are so into the sport that i love. But i do not understand why fivb need to change qual. for Turkey. At last 3 OG per tournament be 4 team from Europe. If Turkey can not beat at least one of 4 teams, IMO the did not deserve ticket for OG.

And ofc that is not applies just on Turkey, Turkey is only an example as very strong team that failed to qualify for Rio 2016.

OFC is much harder to Europe team to qualify and that is unquestionably but 4 teams is not such a small number.

4 teams is such a small number when you will jeopardize the level of the whole tournament by including other weak teams instead.

Noone asks fivb to change qualification for only turkey, it is for the sake of having a high level in a tournament that's supposed to be higher level of each sport.

Many people (including me) start watching volleyball thanks to Olympic games. Watching a weak team to be humiliated against CHN won't attract more followers to this sport.