2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• According to polish federation it is decided that to the new rankings following tournaments will be counted: World Cup 2015, Olympic Games 2016, World Grand Prix 2017 and WCH 2018.

In the men's ranking it will be World League 2017.

So no VNL but World Grand Prix and World League 2017, where the number of teams was higher.

• no VNL??

Bullshit!!!

They said at the beginning of the VNL that it will not be counted to the World ranking, so it is not a suprise. However, there was probably some pressure from some countries to include it in order to have higher position. FIVB probably didn't want to look completely stupid so they stick with the World Grand Prix 2017 and World League 2017 points, which is more fair since there was more teams in WL and WGP and also some sort of qualifications tournaments and not only FIVB choice were decisive of who will take part or not.

• But what are they going to do in the future? Surely they can't keep the WGP/WL '17 points on the rankings forever :rolll:

Now the OQT pairings can be as follows: Serbia-Puerto Rico, China-Turkey, USA-Argentina, Brazil-Dominican Republic, Russia-Korea, Netherlands-Italy.

But who knows, maybe the FIVB will surprise us with their new rankings somehow.

• They said at the beginning of the VNL that it will not be counted to the World ranking, so it is not a suprise. However, there was probably some pressure from some countries to include it in order to have higher position. FIVB probably didn't want to look completely stupid so they stick with the World Grand Prix 2017 and World League 2017 points, which is more fair since there was more teams in WL and WGP and also some sort of qualifications tournaments and not only FIVB choice were decisive of who will take part or not.

they reall did say?

taking WGP into account and not VNL doesnt seem to make sense to me

if they are to do then take the latest tournament into account : that is VNL not outdated WGP?

if VNL is not to provide any points for the World ranking , then whats the logic of taking it seriously anymore ?

• ITA and NED are certainly going to end up together, the gap between them and Russia at #5 is just too big to overtake them.

Now this is just speculation, but I guess there's a high chance it will look like this for top 3: SRB-PUR-THA, CHN-TUR-GER, USA-ARG-BUL. I'm too lazy to go further down the list, especially since we still don't know for sure how the FIVB is going to award the points as the ranking system used for WCH '18 was slightly different than the one at WCH '14 (i.e. there were no joint places this time).

• ITA and NED are certainly going to end up together, the gap between them and Russia at #5 is just too big to overtake them.

Now this is just speculation, but I guess there's a high chance it will look like this for top 3: SRB-PUR-THA, CHN-TUR-GER, USA-ARG-BUL. I'm too lazy to go further down the list, especially since we still don't know for sure how the FIVB is going to award the points as the ranking system used for WCH '18 was slightly different than the one at WCH '14 (i.e. there were no joint places this time).

I calculated the points in the same manner as in 2014. However possible changes in awarded points if they will give them separately shouldn't change a lot in the rankings. Maybe between the last teams.

Dr-Qf9XXgAAvmO7.jpg

• they reall did say?

taking WGP into account and not VNL doesnt seem to make sense to me

if they are to do then take the latest tournament into account : that is VNL not outdated WGP?

if VNL is not to provide any points for the World ranking , then whats the logic of taking it seriously anymore ?

It was all over in polish press about it. They do not include VNL and probably will not include it because the teams were chosen based on other factors and not the strenght or World ranking. In WGP the chance had all of the best teams in World ranking plus many others which went through some sort of qualification.

• If this holds up, it's safe to say that being in the top 2 didn't really benefit Serbia and China. USA and especially Brazil have much easier draws. Russia vs Poland could be interesting.

China perhaps, but Serbia? I can't see any scenario where they don't beat the other 3 teams easily, even Thailand.

• China perhaps, but Serbia? I can't see any scenario where they don't beat the other 3 teams easily, even Thailand.

Thailand is traditionally a tricky opponent for Serbia, plus I assume they'll host the tournament. I'd rather have the USA or BRA group.

It's definitely not as difficult as the Chinese draw, of course. Now that's just brutal. Of course they're still the overwhelming favourites and are very likely to win it, but they have to take all the 3 opponents seriously.

• Oh please, Serbia's group is a joke, honestly.

• Look at Brazil's ;) Mexico, Cameroon and Dominican Republic who was a mess recently.

I knew someone would talk about Brazil. Did I say our group is not easy?! Am I missing something here? Because I was exclusively talking about Serbia. I was replying to someone saying that Serbia was not benefited by being #2 in the ranking.

• Like I said, Thailand has never been an easy opponent for Serbia, so in this case, Serbia being ranked #1 didn't benefit them as much as they got one of the most difficult opponents they could face.

I'm not saying it's a horrible draw in itself or anything like that.