2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Should have continental qualification first and world second. That way teams will have 2 chances instead of 1 because of unfair ranking points system. Top ranking 30 teams will get to play both if needed.

• How can anyone like those rankings that have Argentina in front of Turkey? Or Netherlands behind Russia, even though they've outperformed them for THREE years in a row now? In fact, the only reason NED is ranked lower than RUS is because they didn't play at WC '15 - the tournament Russia qualified for based on their European title in 2013! Something that happened 5 years ago really shouldn't have an effect on current rankings. And yes, I'm aware that Serbia is also benefitting greatly in the rankings because of their WC '15 participation, but at least they backed it up with their later results, unlike Russia.

And now RUS is rewarded with a piss easy Olympic qualifying draw, while NED has it infinitely harder. Like pope said, it's not right.

To be clear, I do think this system is more fair than the previous one, as it gives more teams a fighting chance to qualify. Still, I wish it wasn't completely based on those rankings that are inherently faulty. Continental and World championships should serve as (pre-)qualifying tournaments for the Olympics, like in handball.

In the past (six - ten years ago) Russia was warmed because doesn't participate in WGP and WC. But he doesn't have a lot of problems to win the ticket. If you're best, you will win this.

Now, Russia qualified to WC'15 because CEV said that the two best teams in the CEV ranking would go to this competition. If CEV said that the 2 best teams of the EC'15 (as another years), Russia and Netherlands would go. The world ranking is like this and we must accept.

Well... the groups aren't in the same level. But the level between Russia and Netherlands or Brazil and Netherlands (if anyone said that orange deserves a better position than Brazil) aren't big. I bet that Russia and Brazil will be better than Netherlands in Tokyo.

• Should have continental qualification first and world second. That way teams will have 2 chances instead of 1 because of unfair ranking points system. Top ranking 30 teams will get to play both if needed.

I thought loser teams from world quali would play continental quali. That way they would have 2 chances. Am I wrong?

• I thought loser teams from world quali would play continental quali. That way they would have 2 chances. Am I wrong?

You're not. But the continental qualifiers played first would have benefitted the teams outside the top 25 (like Poland), because even if they failed to qualify in that tournament, they'd get a second chance in world qualies as most of the top teams would have been already qualified and five additional spots would have opened up.

• I bet that Russia and Brazil will be better than Netherlands in Tokyo.

Based on?:/

I think this would be the most fair way to go! CHN-USA and BRA are all hard to eliminate for many European teams but the second tier teams in these continents (KOR, DOM, ARG) can be beaten by many European teams easily. When CHN-USA-BRA already qualified via world Q, they give unjust slots to the countries from their continents. :down: If the continental qualifications would have done earlier than world qualifications, it is very likely that European teams could grab all 6 slots :roll:

Assuming SRB, CHN, USA, BRA and CMR could win their respective continental qualification tournaments. The pools for the world qualifications could have been as following;

Pool A Pool B Pool C Pool D Pool E Pool F
    Russia Netherlands Italy Republic of Korea Dominican. Rep. Argentina
    Canada Bulgaria Germany Thailand Puerto Rico Turkey
    Belgium Kenya Mexico Azerbaijan Kazakhstan Czech Republic
    Croatia Colombia Trinid. & Tobago Peru Poland Cuba

To me, this pool composition would have been more balanced and fair. In this way, teams like Poland and Azerbaijan can get the chance to show if they deserve the spot more than KOR, THA and DOM

• Why don't they do the continental qualification first and world second? Scheduling issues? Or is it the dark nut FIVB uses to make the Olympics not come off like a Euro playoff?

• Based on?:/

To begin, the Netherlands is a good team. Nothing against them. But the only players that play well in the final rounds are Sloetjes, De Kruijf (when she was in the NT) and sometimes Buijs... the others are very inconsistent. And many players from Russia and Brazil are young and are evolving well (although it also depends on how Goncharova, Kosheleva, Tandara, and Natalia are physically in Tokyo). In this sense, I see them better in a possible confrontation. Tokyo 2020 will be a very interesting tournament (Serbia two steps forward). Obviously, if the Netherlands doesn't win the ticket, they will make in European Qualification. I hope so...:box:

• The new rule makes me easily predict the quaterfinalists in Tokyo: China, Japan, USA, Brazil, Italy, Serbia, Russia, as well as the european team (NED/TUR or whatever) from the continental.

the good thing is FIVB is now firstly considering the guarantee for the WR top 8 teams to qualify the Olympic, and then thinking about the inter-continental balance, which seems fair enough. i believe.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• You're not. But the continental qualifiers played first would have benefitted the teams outside the top 25 (like Poland), because even if they failed to qualify in that tournament, they'd get a second chance in world qualies as most of the top teams would have been already qualified and five additional spots would have opened up.

Thanks, got your point.

FIVB is very confusing indeed.

• God, FIVB is such a mess. The applications for hosting the Olympic qualifying tournaments will be taken in by December 14, but the actual pool composition won't be formally announced until January 1 next year. Makes total sense. :roll: Why can't they be not shady and actually transparent for once.

Anyway, the hosts and the playing schedule will be announced January 31 next year.

• I heard Dominican Republic will host Brazil's pool. But I'm not sure if it's true. I thought the seeders would host the pools, but it seems that Brazil federation has no money.

• I thought Baku would be a very probable candidate there. But then again, the Azeris are CEV's darlings, not FIVB's.

I guess the other hosts will be Thailand, China, Korea and Netherlands. I have no idea about Pool C, no one there strikes me as desperate to host it. I wouldn't be surprised if it went to Kazakhstan.

• God, FIVB is such a mess. The applications for hosting the Olympic qualifying tournaments will be taken in by December 14, but the actual pool composition won't be formally announced until January 1 next year. Makes total sense. :roll: Why can't they be not shady and actually transparent for once.

Anyway, the hosts and the playing schedule will be announced January 31 next year.

They want 500k $ in order to be considered as host of the tournament. It is ridiculous. I think that always the priority will have the highest ranked team if there will be 2 or more teams from the possible group interested. But what happens when no one applies from some group? I can foresee also situation when for instance Cameroon won't afford to travel to the Dominican Rep. and then what?

• They want 500k $ in order to be considered as host of the tournament. It is ridiculous. I think that always the priority will have the highest ranked team if there will be 2 or more teams from the possible group interested. But what happens when no one applies from some group? I can foresee also situation when for instance Cameroon won't afford to travel to the Dominican Rep. and then what?

Then Poland will take the spot if any team decides to withdraw or can't participate due to financial reasons.

• Then Poland will take the spot if any team decides to withdraw or can't participate due to financial reasons.

Yes, but then the question is whether Poland would simply replace that team in their group or would the whole draw need to be reshuffled according to the serpentine system. I imagine the latter would be awfully inconvinent, especially if it's a last minute withdrawal and the teams have already booked their tickets and made hotel reservations. But if it's the former, the serpentine system loses its purpose, so either way it would be a major headache for the FIVB. I think they'd need to be obliged to financially help out the team(s) in need and avoid such a scenario.

Also, I think it's entirely possible that no one applies for hosting rights of certain groups, and then someone has to be "persuaded" by the FIVB to take it.

This system has a big potential to turn into a real mess. We can just hope for the best.

• It's FIVB. Anything can happen. I remember they change the host of youth WCH one month before... Peru replaced Cyprus and African teams weren't able to travel there. Of course FIVB didn't help them at all.

• Apparently some team decided to not take part in intercontinental OG qualification tournament and Poland will take part instead. This was told today by Polish federation. They didn't say in which group they will be yet.

• Apparently some team decided to not take part in intercontinental OG qualification tournament and Poland will take part instead. This was told today by Polish federation. They didn't say in which group they will be yet.

https://www.pzps.pl/pl/aktualn…ra-w-kwalifikacjach-do-io