2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Don't forget that Poland is part of the VNL, which looks better to FIVB, than non VNL team. So even with World Rankings not including VNL, VNL is still included somewhere.

• I can imagine (rough speculation, don't blame me if wrong) some federations from not so wealthy countries might rather focus on their own continental qualification tournament instead of flying a full NT and staff across the world without winning a single set. Remember the absurdity of Tunisia playing in Mexico and Kenya playing in Puerto Rico back in 2016.

• Won't this affect the pools?

It almost certainly will, but we won't have any idea how until the FIVB announces the pool composition in January. So far we don't even know for a fact who is going to participate.

And another problem is that the tournament hosts will apparently be announced a month after the draw is published, so it's possible that we'll have additional withdrawals after that if some federations decide it's not economically viable for them to send their teams across the world for a three-day competition.

• So the bidding process for the qualification tournaments is over. Poland wants to organize men's tournament, however FIVB offered PZPS women's :lol:

But they still didn't say who are in the same group with Poland and it is unknown which team decided to withdraw (they say that is is probably Cuba).

I imagine that none of the teams which are in the same group with Poland were interested in organization of the tournament. Probably there will be more situations like this. PZPS still didn't decide if they will take women's qualifiaction or not.

• Because Poland would have to pay $500,000...

I'm curious what they will decode.

I don't think so. I suppose that FIVB wants to "convert" the bidding offer and put the "WO" in front of "MEN" in polish bid. They know that they have another candidate to organize men's tournament (France) so they will give it to them and then women's to Poland. Poland has to have anything to gain on that :P Because if we say yes then we make a favor to FIVB and not the other way around!

Will Woloz be back? Marlena can't even start over Mirkovic, and still Marlena gets the chance to start a few times but she does not do well and Mirkovic must come in.

Mędrzyk and Grajber are more inconsistent than Busa...and that says a lot.

Smarzek is struggling in Italy.

I don't see why Poland would want to spend 500k when they have 0 chances in qualifying.

Better to use this 500k to invest in players development.

• Yeah, right. I think they will negotiate with FIVB. But even $200,000 or $150,000 is a lot of money and Poland won't beat Serbia/Netherlands or any top country.

• It was confirmed today by Przedpelski that Cuba withdrew from the competition and Poland will play in the same group with Serbia, Puerto Rico and Thailand. I wonder why Thailand is not interested in hosting the tournament.

So there shouldn't be more changes in group composition. Cuba was 24th in the ranking excluding Japan, so it will have not affect the other groups.

• Serbian volleyball federation announced today that Serbia will play against Thailand, Puerto Rico and Cuba. They did say that the group will "most likely" look like that, which would mean that things can still change, but I'd be very surprised if they were completely unaware of Cuba's withdrawal and the replacement by Poland. :/

So it's just more confusion still.

• Serbian volleyball federation announced today that Serbia will play against Thailand, Puerto Rico and Cuba. They did say that the group will "most likely" look like that, which would mean that things can still change, but I'd be very surprised if they were completely unaware of Cuba's withdrawal and the replacement by Poland. :/

So it's just more confusion still.

:rolll: We have to wait for official announcment of FIVB, which should be soon I guess... The news that Cuba withdrew isn't official. I think that FIVB still didn't say the federations the final pool composition. They only asked about confirmation if they want to compete or not.

• As per https://sportowefakty.wp.pl/si…ikacji-do-igrzysk-w-tokio

FIVB announced groups of tournaments.

Women

Grupa A: Serbia, Puerto Rico, Thailand, Poland

Grupa B: China, Turkey, Germany, Czech Rep.

Grupa C: USA, Argentina, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan

Grupa D: Brazil, Dominican Rep., Cameroon, Azerbaijan

Grupa E: Russia, Korea, Cnada, Mexico

Grupa F: Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Kenia

Hosts to be selected till end January.