2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Mirosław Przepełski, FIVB member:

"After the end of the VNL, the next official tournament for the Polish national team will be the qualification for the Olympic Games, which will be held on August 9-11 in Gdansk. It will definitely be the most important representative tournament this year. Vital Heynen coach will be able to put fourteen volleyball players in the match squad, but nothing has changed in terms of the size of the squad for the Olympic Games. - For today the Olympic team's matchmaking team is expected to include a maximum of twelve players, this is related to the cost of accommodation. Although FIVB has been struggling for years to increase this number to fourteen" said Przedpełski.

The Olympics has limited the number of players 12 per team, not the FIVB. For the qualifying matches it probably will be 14 per FIVB rules.

• wow... no disrespect, but with this system, we're probably going to see BRA qualify as one of the 6 world qualifiers, which means ARG will go to the olympics again as the s. american representative. whereas from europe, teams like NED, BEL, TUR and POL will be fighting for just one spot! so unfair...

• Turkey and Poland should move to S. America. Problem solved :cheesy:

• That rule is so ridiculous and it only made sense before the libero was introduced in 2000

IOC is also considering the accommodation capacity of each host city, so there comes out with the limitation of the composition of each national representatives.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Russia or Turkey could move to Asian federation...

Yea indeed and that would make sense actually since on paper both are not solely of one continent but rather "Eurasian". Still I don't see it happen likely...

• wow... no disrespect, but with this system, we're probably going to see BRA qualify as one of the 6 world qualifiers, which means ARG will go to the olympics again as the s. american representative. whereas from europe, teams like NED, BEL, TUR and POL will be fighting for just one spot! so unfair...

In previous system we had WC and Brazil probably would advance there (like 75% chance). So the change is 0 for me.

• Take a look, FIBA (basketball) makes only two qualification tournament (through World Cup and World Qualification Tournament) for all countries from whole world.

While FIVB makes 6 international groups and 5 continental qualifications, 11 separated tournament in total. Also it affects that volleyball level at OG is much lower :down:

• Why Russia? We still have a good chance to get ticket for OGs in international qualification. The rest of teams will have their chances to make it OGs. Poland in 2008, Turkey in 2012 played in OGs and we saw the results. Even if they got the ticket for OGs, they won't have good chance among strong NTs. It's quite fair, even when we had European Qualification in 2012, Russia, Netherlands and Italy got the ticket for OGs. We have one spot in continental qualification, even if Russia moves to Asia (which neither Russian fans nor our players will like that idea), Russia will probably get their ticket in international qualification, probably not participating in European Qualification. What will happen even if Russia moves to Asian Federation? Nothing they will probably get their ticket in international qualification and won't be barrier for teams which will participate in European Continental Qualification.

Poland, Turkey, Belgium and where is Germany? They won the match against Brazil in WCH, they are quite unpredictible team IMO. Honestly, I'd like to see them in OGs, bcz they played in OGs in 2004 and won the match against Cuba NT.

Actually since 2008 Russia didn't do anything special in OG just like Turkey or Poland :whistle:

And in this year qualification tournament Russia got the easiest group - in any other they probably would have hard time to qualify.

• Well, Russia NT never skip OGs even if they don't show anything special in OGs. 2008 we played in 1/4 final btw. I am not against Poland NT's improvement. I friendly approach them dont take my words personally. But the first Poland NT needs to take spot from Azerbaijan and Bulgaria in WCH and then OGs.

Easy group? Okay agree but why? Because they played well and gained those points. Even if Russia played in the hardest group, they would have a chance in continental qualification. I want you to be honest, do you think Turkey or Poland or Belgium or Germany is better than Russia ? I don't mean in VNL. But don't forget European champion players like Parubets, Kosheleva, Goncharova. On the other hand, Startseva, Malova, Koroleva, Fetisova etc. We have ECH, we probably see the real power of teams there. We will have friendly games in Kaliningrad from 24 to 26 July against Germany, Poland and Belgium. But the real power of teams we will probably see in ECH. I dislike arguing about such topics. I admit that Serbia, Italy, China, Netherlands, Usa, Japan, Brazil are better than Russia according to last WCH, probably this year ECH we will see how many teams are better than Russia. Easy group? Come on we got the ticket in European continental qualification in 2012.

Only I can tell you, Russia NT aim is not all about to participate in OGs. Even Karpol said that he would give advice to our coach if he needed, here our goal is all about to get medal in OGs. Participating in that tournament is not our main goal, medals are our goal. I read plenty of news about that, other place will not satisfy us, only medals.

I don't take it personal, just I don't know why you criticize Poland and Turkey OG performance while Russia didn't win anything in OG as well. Actually Poland lost 2-3 to both USA and Japan and 1-3 to China and Cuba. 3 of these teams were in TOP4 with Brazil so I don't see anything bad in this result. Maybe they should defeat Japan, but still they would not get through QF probably. In 2012 Turkey won European tournament defeating Poland, Russia was not in the final.

You forget that it's 2019 and not 2017 anymore and for now you don't know how good Kosheleva will play this year after injury.

• Only I can tell you, Russia NT aim is not all about to participate in OGs. Even Karpol said that he would give advice to our coach if he needed, here our goal is all about to get medal in OGs. Participating in that tournament is not our main goal, medals are our goal. I read plenty of news about that, other place will not satisfy us, only medals.

Karpol giving advice to me as a coach is great, but is it coming in the form of screaming at me?:teach::wall::hit:

• I don't understand your point. I meant in 2016, not 2012. I made mistakes. Anyway, Russia got silver medals in OGs in past. Probably you didnt watch 2004 OGs.

Don't worry even without Kosheleva we will have life saver players, most things will depend on our coach staff. Last year even inexperienced Kotikova got 11pts against Turkey in WCH. It's 2019? Really? We better need to focus on OGQ and ECH, then discuss such topics. I dont know teams' capability in 2019. After ECH, World Cup we will probably see that. I didn't criticize Poland or Turkey but I think it's unfair to say Russia are weaker than them. 2013, 2015 champion of ECH, and they are definitely not weaker than them IMO. People say Russia doesnt deserve to play in OGs, tell me which team deserves to participate in OGs then?

We need to watch ECH, World Cup, OGQ and then tell that Russia deserves or not.

Our unsuccesful performances were relating to our coach, that's why after 2016, 2017 we changed our coach staff.

Easy group? Why people started using it a lot? When we had hard pool no one mentioned about it. We have ECH, of course there are no easy teams there. If we get 16th place in ECH, you can say Russia doesnt deserve it. Watching VNL, and talking like that is pointless to me. We need to wait a bit. Even without Kosheleva, we have other options like Parubets, Voronkova, Goncharova, Kurilo, Kotikova, Kadochkina maybe Lazareva will be in future not sure. I didnt criticize any teams, I dislike seeing negative comments against Russia NT. Okay, let's wait and see what will teams do in ECH, World Cup and OGQ and then judge them, it is unfair to tell Russian NT is the weakest opponent bcz of VNL.

2004 OG were great for Russia, but it was 15 years ago! That is what I mean that even 2013 or 2015 are long gone. Nobody says Russia is worse than Poland or Turkey, just that you really don't know what to expect from them. We don't know what shape they will be in. And you just talk about them like they are WCH or olympic champions, you cannot be sure if they would advance if they had Netherlands, Serbia , Italy, USA or China in their pool.

• Those kind of calculations simply never work :aww: I agree with 7UP atm Russia didn't do much at all to prove they're better then Poland, Turkey, Belgium, Germany etc. You say we are just basing everything on VNL but you are doing something pretty similar by basing everything on 1 Wch where Russia still was not by any means much better then the likes of Turkey and Poland if I recall correct you had like 2 points more then us in the end in that 8th place.

Also no Goncharova, Kosheleva etc doesnt matter that much either especially when Russia clearly is in a generation transition period. I mean ofc it matters but it doesn't mean that you were gonna win much bigger if they were there necessarily. We called our NT done begin 2018, we had no Neslihan, Gözde, Naz, Neriman, Polen out of form etc. etc. we were gonna be done, but then suddenly they had one of the most succesfull NT seasons in a while.

Idk why you talk like Russia is for sure better then Poland and Turkey and possible Netherlands. Sure Russia is not a country to underestimate but I'd rather see them prove things, so far their younger generations couldn't do what the Turkish and Polish generation did whatsoever and Voronkova and Parubets seemed out of shape, we havent seen Goncharova and Koshe in a while either :teach:

• I literally never said Turkey is better then Serbia or Italy because we beat them in VNL :lol: stop lying and I think I said this 100000000 times now. I was very clear and you can go back and read my posts pls. I said its really impressive of the team and it shows they are growing after they beat Serbia. I fail to see whats wrong with that. Also Turkey only beat Italy first time in VNL I think (with full roster not B) few days ago and I literally said nothing about such things either back then.

Also like I said, I judge what I see from players, I can't judge performances on what I think will happen. I do hope the Russians play really well suddenly so it gets more exciting + Im a big fan of Koreleva and Parubets :heart:

Yes, sometimes I am a little blind for Turkish team but aren't we all with our fave teams :P

• Wow this is actually crazy.

How many assumptions do you have about people you know nothing about like that lol it is really weird. Is this how you spend your free time, thinking about what kind of person I must be? :cheesy::lol:

When I first watched volleyball, I didn't even know there was a Turkish volleyball team, I followed and loved Brazil, Russia and Japan back then and players like Garay, Fabiana, Gamova, Sokolova, Godina (yes I liked this Russian team more) Sachiko Sugiyama. You don't have to believe me, I honestly don't care at all, actually Koroleva has always been my favorite player of all time, I can give you the phone number of my best friend and you can ask it if you dont believe lmao :rolll:

I won't make assumptions about you, because I've never seen or spoke you ever and didn't really even talk here much with you so :wavy: thats not how I am.

+ I never argued with any Serbian user, I discussed the match with them and we all agreed on the same things in the end. Who I argued with was pope but I think we have settled that as well and agree on a lot after a bit of arguing now and respect what we disagree with each other :drink:

• It takes one to know one

but the difference is you don't know me. Don't project your own feelings towards others, it only shows us your face ;)

*insert 1000 shady emojis*