2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Could this forum ever possibly be drama free? :aww:We have one very serious queen and I don’t think we need more.

• Do not forget that written words are different than spoken words. We can’t tell what is a joke or not easily, let alone throw in a foreign language. We all feel that written words add permanence and we may not realize that it may be a different feeling by the author.

• Please stop it.

I saw/remember so many OG qualification. You should just wait and see. Now discussion is useless. Strenght (mostly mental) and team spirit will decide. Additional do not underestimate hosts. So many hosts finally qualified but before qualification they were absolutely not favourites.

• So the situation is, that I will be cheering for Russia to qualify to Tokyo to have there as many European teams as possible and make European qualies easier for Turkey, Netherlands or Poland. Their situation is effect of their successes in the past and after Tokyo, new Russian team will have to work much harder than previous one to get ticket to Paris.

• So the situation is, that I will be cheering for Russia to qualify to Tokyo to have there as many European teams as possible and make European qualies easier for Turkey, Netherlands or Poland. Their situation is effect of their successes in the past and after Tokyo, new Russian team will have to work much harder than previous one to get ticket to Paris.

Huh. It's 2019 and talking about 2024? Paris? We don't know which NTs will be strong in future. Last year, we took Malygina and Biryukova and this year they won't be on the roster of our NT. We have Kadochkina who is 16 years old, maybe we will have better players in future or not, it is too early to talk about such things IMO. Gorbunova, Zakharova, Pushina, Shevchuk, Pipunyrova, maybe Lazareva, etc. or maybe someone will suddenly come out and will be much more skillful than those players or Kotikova, Lazareva will improve their skills like Voronkova and Parubets. We don't which NTs will be better in world in future.

• wow... no disrespect, but with this system, we're probably going to see BRA qualify as one of the 6 world qualifiers, which means ARG will go to the olympics again as the s. american representative. whereas from europe, teams like NED, BEL, TUR and POL will be fighting for just one spot! so unfair...

I guess the idea/principle of the OG is to be a representative competition, otherwise African teams wouldn't be able to participate and this is really unfair.

I understand your point, but I don't think the main idea of the event is to have the 12 best NT. This meets best competitions such as VNL.

• It's interesting that basketball has moved away from that principle and now no continent has a guaranteed place at the Olympics. In practice it likely means that there will be six European and no African teams in Tokyo.

Perhaps volleyball will make a similar move in the future, even though I'm not really in favour of that.

• It's interesting that basketball has moved away from that principle and now no continent has a guaranteed place at the Olympics. In practice it likely means that there will be six European and no African teams in Tokyo.

Perhaps volleyball will make a similar move in the future, even though I'm not really in favour of that.

No, they are doing that because they know african teams are good. Nigeria was top 8 in last WCh, Senegal top 12. Some european teams are weak (GB, Sweden), they are not so sure to qualify. Probably the teams that qualify in women's basketball will be USA, CAN, 5 europeans, SEN, NGR, CHN, JPN, AUS. So there will be continental parity anyway.

In men's basketball (where europe is more powerful) they didn't do that in comparison, there will be guaranteed continental spots distributed at the world cup.

• It's true that African teams are getting better and they beat some European teams at the last WCh, but I still don't think they'd actually be favourites against any of the current top 6 European teams. Yes, even Great Britain and Sweden, they're not bad teams at all.

Although it is possible that there will be at least one African team in Tokyo because the level of women's basketball in the Americas (other than USA and Canada) seems to have fallen a lot and I don't expect them to qualify any teams apart from those two.

• I guess the idea/principle of the OG is to be a representative competition, otherwise African teams wouldn't be able to participate and this is really unfair.

I understand your point, but I don't think the main idea of the event is to have the 12 best NT. This meets best competitions such as VNL.

i totally understand the continental representation, but s. america will be represented by BRA. i just wish ARG was a better team, but they're not and it'd be better if another euro team was there.

the qual. process for rio last time was ridiculous.

• About basketball, FIBA changed qualification process to reduce qualification tournaments, but still each country from each continent will play at OG; about FIBA World CUP:

"The tournament will also act as qualification for the 2020 Summer Olympics, which will take the top two teams from each of the Americas and Europe, and the top team from each of Africa, Asia and Oceania, alongside hosts Japan."

So after World Cup 4 places will remain and WQT will be played.

• Huh. It's 2019 and talking about 2024? Paris? We don't know which NTs will be strong in future. Last year, we took Malygina and Biryukova and this year they won't be on the roster of our NT. We have Kadochkina who is 16 years old, maybe we will have better players in future or not, it is too early to talk about such things IMO. Gorbunova, Zakharova, Pushina, Shevchuk, Pipunyrova, maybe Lazareva, etc. or maybe someone will suddenly come out and will be much more skillful than those players or Kotikova, Lazareva will improve their skills like Voronkova and Parubets. We don't which NTs will be better in world in future.

Yes, discussion was why Russia has so easy group. This is effect of their success from the past; they will have to work much harder in the future to have such easy way to get qualification to Paris.

• Yes, discussion was why Russia has so easy group. This is effect of their success from the past; they will have to work much harder in the future to have such easy way to get qualification to Paris.

Russia is only 5th in the ranking, so in theory all above - Serbia, China, USA and Brazil should have easier groups but they all have stronger actually :)

• Russia is only 5th in the ranking, so in theory all above - Serbia, China, USA and Brazil should have easier groups but they all have stronger actually :)

Yes, agree. This system of qulies doesn't reflect current strength of the teams.

There should be qualification system without looking at any rankings, but just some general tournament when everyone is prepared the beast as possible.

• Im fine with representation of each continent but there should be a balance of these principal and keeping the best teams in the tournament since this is supposed to be highest level of this sport and most prestigious tournament.

I think making the continental tournaments first and letting the best of each continent get a spot would solve all the problem. Then we will have at least one team from each continent, guaranteeing the 'diversity' aspects. Yet having world qualification tournaments after continental qualification would allow the best teams in the world to be qualified and make this prestigious tournament as competitive as possible.

• Im fine with representation of each continent but there should be a balance of these principal and keeping the best teams in the tournament since this is supposed to be highest level of this sport and most prestigious tournament.

I think making the continental tournaments first and letting the best of each continent get a spot would solve all the problem. Then we will have at least one team from each continent, guaranteeing the 'diversity' aspects. Yet having world qualification tournaments after continental qualification would allow the best teams in the world to be qualified and make this prestigious tournament as competitive as possible.

And then we would have like China, USA, Brazil, a European and a African team and probably 7 more European teams. In this system, teams like Thailand, Korea, Dominican Republic are probably going to be out of the OG.