2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• And then we would have like China, USA, Brazil, a European and a African team and probably 7 more European teams. In this system, teams like Thailand, Korea, Dominican Republic are probably going to be out of the OG.

Which would be fair enough, I think Dominicans and Korea would for sure have a chance as well as don't forget about Japan. I doubt it would be 7 Europeans. But either way, everyone would be presented + the bests would be in the tournament and would have a chance to qualify at least. Which imo is great :whistle:

The Olympics is indeed the most prestigious tournament for athletes, how fair is it to have teams that barely even play the sport have a spot instead of teams that have fought for it for years and are actually good. I don't think its fair countries automatically have less chance to qualify despite their level only because they're European

• Yes, discussion was why Russia has so easy group. This is effect of their success from the past; they will have to work much harder in the future to have such easy way to get qualification to Paris.

I don't think that this is the case. Russia should end up around 5th place at the OG and World Cup. That might give them enough points to keep the 5th place in the world ranking.

• Which would be fair enough, I think Dominicans and Korea would for sure have a chance as well as don't forget about Japan. I doubt it would be 7 Europeans. But either way, everyone would be presented + the bests would be in the tournament and would have a chance to qualify at least. Which imo is great :whistle:

The Olympics is indeed the most prestigious tournament for athletes, how fair is it to have teams that barely even play the sport have a spot instead of teams that have fought for it for years and are actually good. I don't think its fair countries automatically have less chance to qualify despite their level only because they're European

I got your point and everyone's point. But you guys are forgetting that the OG is not to put the best teams/individuals of a modality to play. It is about creating a space for diversity and representativeness in sport.

And c'mon, just a little History... Why do you guys think there aren't better teams in South America and Africa? It's because there is not enough money to fund all sports. And why there's no money in most countries that, unsurprisingly, were once a colony? Maybe, but just maybe, the European teams are better because they have more money to fund all sports, money which was historically looted from former colonies.

• I got your point and everyone's point. But you guys are forgetting that the OG is not to put the best teams/individuals of a modality to play. It is about creating a space for diversity and representativeness in sport.

And c'mon, just a little History... Why do you guys think there aren't better teams in South America and Africa? It's because there is not enough money to fund all sports. And why there's no money in most countries that, unsurprisingly, were once a colony? Maybe, but just maybe, the European teams are better because they have more money to fund all sports, money which was historically looted from former colonies.

Yeah that's exactly why Serbia is a powerhouse right now:whistle:

• Yeah that's exactly why Serbia is a powerhouse right now:whistle:

I am talking about SPORTS in general, not exclusively about volleyball. Is Serbia a superpower in all Olympic Sports? No.

What I was trying to say is that in Northern America and Europe, in general, there is better conditions for players' development and way more money to invest in Olympic sports. I remember watching an interview with Kenyan players who were competiting in the 2010 WCH, and only one out of 14 players had volleyball as a profession because there was no investment in volleyball in their country nor a professional league for them to develop.

My point is that if we consider only which is the best team, we're ignoring the whole idea of the event. And if it is to consider only that, we already have WCH and VNL.

• And then we would have like China, USA, Brazil, a European and a African team and probably 7 more European teams. In this system, teams like Thailand, Korea, Dominican Republic are probably going to be out of the OG.

that's an exaggeration.

i kinda like serdar's suggestion that continental qual. should happen first.

so let's say for the current situation (tokyo), we would have the following as qualifiers: JPN (host), CHN (asia), SRB (europe), CMR (africa), US (n. amer.) and BRA (s. amer.).

then there'd be left 6 spots for the rest of the world. why not have a WCup with 12 teams, and have the top 6 qualify? the 12 teams could be: DOM, PUR, ARG, KEN, THA, KOR, ITA, RUS, NED, TUR, POL, and maybe AZE/BUL/BEL/GER or a team from another continent.

of those 12, chances are good that DOM or KOR could make it (well, maybe not current KOR). but remember KOR in london beat both BRA and ITA (3-0) and finished 4th. it's not for sure that 6 euro teams would take the last 6 spots.

also for continental qual. they could just use the continental championships, so norceca champ. would qualify for olympics, for example, and no need to have a separate tourn.

• When was the forum created? I think we've been discussing the same thing over and over (about the qualifyings) for the past 3 Olympics and there will never be a consensus. Just remember something I've been saying for 10 years here: look at the Olympics symbol. The 12 best teams will never be there. It doesn't work like that.

1280px-Olympic-rings-without-rims-svg

• THIS!!!! :obey:

Thank you very much, Sidney!

• Olympics spokesperson: 'The goal of Olympics is to unite all nations around the world and have the worlds very best athletes compete amongst each other.'

Then simply allow a few more countries or something because at least in the volleyball branche, this is not happening currently. The Olympics other branches do usually have the best players so I don't understand we act like thats not a thing at all now suddenly :whistle:

• Olympics spokesperson: 'The goal of Olympics is to unite all nations around the world and have the worlds very best athletes compete amongst each other.'

Then simply allow a few more countries or something because at least in the volleyball branche, this is not happening currently. The Olympics other branches do usually have the best players so I don't understand we act like thats not a thing at all now suddenly :whistle:

I agree. I like the inclusion of teams from all over the world but there's no reason that there has to be just 12 teams, even just expanding to 16 would be an improvement IMO.

• It is very easy for Brazilians to talk about it....when Brazil has always qualified for the OG and Brazil will always qualify since their only rival is Argentina. Basically they always had and will always have a automatic berth.

They don`t have to fight to get in.....like the Europeans do.

• I agree. I like the inclusion of teams from all over the world but there's no reason that there has to be just 12 teams, even just expanding to 16 would be an improvement IMO.

They don't allow 14 players per team because of the lack of available facilities, and you guys want to expand the number of teams competing? Geez :aww:

• The IOC will never agree with expanding the number of teams. They're doing everything they can to limit the total number of athletes already

Hey! Don't sweat the details, we're pontificating here :rolll:

• They don't allow 14 players per team because of the lack of available facilities, and you guys want to expand the number of teams competing? Geez :aww:

easy solution, IOC needs to eliminate some stupid sports like rugby, equestrian and sailing .... and oh yeah, pentathlon, BMX, etc. that'll liberate some room for more athletes.

• They don't allow 14 players per team because of the lack of available facilities, and you guys want to expand the number of teams competing? Geez :aww:

They manage to find the facilities to fit in 16 football teams despite the men’s Olympic football competition being totally unimportant compared to other sports. They have the facilities to upgrade golf to an Olympic sport and accommodate 120 golfers. I know they don’t want to expand it but if they did want to then they could.