2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• sidney, every post i have written on this subject i have included all 5 confederations. i have never said, "why do we have an african team?" but once south america has BRA, there's no need for a 2nd one, like we had in rio.

Well, I wasnt talking directly to anyone my dear

• It is very easy for Brazilians to talk about it....when Brazil has always qualified for the OG and Brazil will always qualify since their only rival is Argentina. Basically they always had and will always have a automatic berth.

They don`t have to fight to get in.....like the Europeans do.

poor Europeans ;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(;(

Oh please, pope, why don't you ignore me forever?

• So why give any points for OG why they are about uniting nations ? :white: Don't they play for fun and enjoying other teams? Why Brazilians were crying after QF loss to China in Rio :lol: They should be happy, it's all about having fun by integration girls !!! They didn't get it somehow :whistle:

Maybe in order to unite nations, culture and continents let's have Peru instead of Brazil, Jamaica instead of USA and Taipei in place of China. OK? Why not.

In other sport nobody cares about equality and some other stuff. Why in track and field you have to reach minimum time/distance/height in order to compete. And the last one is why there can't be 16 teams while you introduce golf, basket 3x3 :lol:, u21 football :lol: and so on.

It's just funny that FIVB cannot figure it out the way for teams to qualify. It's nonsense if Brazil and USA qualify to have another Argentina and so on.

• So why give any points for OG why they are about uniting nations ? :white: Don't they play for fun and enjoying other teams? Why Brazilians were crying after QF loss to China in Rio :lol: They should be happy, it's all about having fun by integration girls !!! They didn't get it somehow :whistle:

Nobody has said that here, so your argument is totally non-sense. :aww:

• I really don't know why people here keep attacking Brazilians all the freaking time. It's ridiculous.

You are f* racists. Pathetic.

• wut? :what: where did that come from, maybe you didnt refer to me.

Olympics is clearly the place to have the best athletes compete against each other as their spokesperson says. So indeed its perfect to have at least 1 representatitive from all continents + the best countries in the world regardless of the continents. When 100M can have 4 Jamaicans, 4 American finals sometimes I believe the best Europeans can take part as well in volleyball.

Some people say, its sad for the developing countries that cant take part, ok but what is your point really? Suddenly taking part in the olympics is not going to make such teams Conegliano's or VakifBank's... Olympics are not a training camp.

• wut? :what: where did that come from, maybe you didnt refer to me.

Olympics is clearly the place to have the best athletes compete against each other as their spokesperson says. So indeed its perfect to have at least 1 representatitive from all continents + the best countries in the world regardless of the continents. When 100M can have 4 Jamaicans, 4 American finals sometimes I believe the best Europeans can take part as well in volleyball.

Some people say, its sad for the developing countries that cant take part, ok but what is your point really? Suddenly taking part in the olympics is not going to make such teams Conegliano's or VakifBank's... Olympics are not a training camp.

They don`t get it...and now they think we are racist because we don`t think Africans and low level teams from South America and North America should be at the OG.

Trust me if they had to face China, Italy, Serbia....and if they lose having to face Netherlands-Turkey-Poland they certainly would say it is unfair that African Teams can take a spot from a strong team.

• You are the ones who definitely don't get it... If all the sports decide to have 1 representative of each continent and then fill the other spots with the best teams/athletes, from which country do you think will appear between the best? Yes, Americans and Europeans mostly. So, this "meritocracy" discourse is pure BS.

You guys have better NT in volleyball because, even though there is a lack of popularity of the sport in some countries, most of the governments have enough resources to invest in sports. You guys have well-structured leagues, which makes easier for players to compete in a high-level tournament, making it easier for them to develop. However, at least in South America, financing sports is something rare, and whenever a government face a crisis, there are many cuts in the budget addressed to sports and athletes. In addition, it is already hard to find private companies to finance sports, and if less-skilled teams don't play, it is unlikely that private companies will sponsor them. Thus, they probably won't get any better.

You guys are so selfish that you forget to think about WHY African, Asian, Central and South American teams are not at the same level than the Europeans. And since you can't realize that, I don't think we have to keep this discussion, because you'll never be able to at least acknowledge our point of view and you'll be always stuck with this stupid argument that your NT deserves to the in the OG because they are better than other who are in. Poor you, probably a white person with first-world problems.

• So ok you want teams to take part in F*ING OLYMPICS because their governments don't invest in sports and in the sport and the teams are trash :gone: it is not the problem of good players that those countries don't invest in their sports, what about those players that fight hard daily, almost never get a break and give up their entire life for volleyball and in return they get a slim chance to participate in Olympics. Instead of them some amateur level teams enter olmypics.

Thats not what Olympics is about, but we might as well cut the ranking points then from Olympics.

You're looking at it way too emotional, like I still fail to see 1 valid argument on why MULTIPLE countries from these continents must take part. other branches of Olympics also simply have the best players no matter what their continent is. I have seen a final once with 9 only Russian players!!! :aww: this rule no should not only be for volleyball.

If the governments refuse to invest in sports, we have to at least not reward those by giving them free tickets into important tournaments :aww::aww: when you don't even invest in sports and have shit teams bcs of it ofc you can not be allowed to make big tournaments

Someone said it before, Serbia is not the richest either (at all)and you guys think 'Europe' is just one big rich haven with one culture or something... No there is even countries living in poverty in Europe. Like Moldova and Belarus f.e. Belarus also still has a good team. This is not the problem of Olympics, but something the government should do and if there is democracy (which I know not all really have) the people should ask for. These teams will simply never be good if they don't invest and instead now take place of individuals that work their ass off their entire life just so they can maybe make the most important tournament.

• Like don't get me wrong, I think it's really sad that children in South America and Africa can't find ways to improve themselves in their sports and can't find the money and resources for it. That does actually truly make me feel sad.

But them entering Olympics only because of that... That does not solve the root of the problem at all, might even make it worse. We should raise awareness, protest against the governments, find and fund ways/organizations that can build facilities for sports and ways to develop leagues and clubs. This is what should happen, then after that they would be able to beat European, Asian, North American teams anyways already. But the qualification process needs to be fair now, like it is in other Olympic sports+maybe add a couple extra countries

• USA is the richest country with the richest federation. And no other comes even close.

Even the smallest colleges have better facilities and provide the best training possible ...They have everything you need to develop an athlete... Not even Vakifbak or Vitra has or can provide what any of these American colleges can.

And yet the only tournament the Americans can win is VNL-GP when they are playing against B teams.

As you can see money can take you only so far.... But money can't buy you tittles.

Brazil for example is the perfect example of the opposite of that. They don't have the money, they do struggle a lot, they have to rustle everyday....but still they won 2 Olympics.

So... Even if all those federations had money it does not mean they would be good just based on investment.

• Some interesting posts here get soiled with namecalls at the end. No need for that.

• Joana got it right, OG have been trying to cut the overall number of athletes for years. And volleyball is a team sport, one more team means 12 more athletes plus coach staff, so allowing more teams in is simply out of the question. The reason they bring surfing, skateboard, etc to the OG is that they want to attract more young people, they want to profit. So if you want your NTs to play at the OG, they either step up or join in other federations, if that's even possible:roll:

• And the last one is why there can't be 16 teams while you introduce golf, basket 3x3 :lol:, u21 football :lol: and so on.

That's exactly why there can't be more teams. They want to introduce new sports, but at the same time they want to limit the total number of athletes so they could keep the costs down (which are already going through the roof and organizing the Olympics is increasingly difficult), so they're lowering the number of events/athletes in the already existing sports. That's why all team sports have 12 teams participating, at most. Football is the exception, because it's basically an Olympic sport in name only - the competition starts before the opening ceremony, games are played outside the host city and so on.

And to put things into perspective - women's handball tournament only got expanded to 12 teams (from 10) as recently as in 2008. We're lucky volleyball got there earlier. To want more is simply not realistic.

• This topic has always been a matter of endless discussions.

I don't think we will ever come to an agreement of what is the best qualification system.

Obviously we all want the best teams to take part of an Olympic event, but we also want every continent to be represented, like it or not.

FIVB is trying a different system this time, which somehow is more fair than the previous one.

I did not like either the World Cup nor the World Qualification Tournament, both played in Japan. 6 4-team tourneys sound like a much better and more fair system.

• Can we all agree that the current qualification system is at least better than the one for Rio? I found it bizarre that PUR got to go into the easy world qualification tournament, while DOM had to compete with the top teams because DOM beat PUR in NORCECA qualifying. That made no sense at all.

Though I'd like to see more teams I know it won't happen and I personally think the current system is pretty fair.