2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Honestly, due to this qualification system, I find other tournaments such as ECH much more interesting and exciting than OG. I don't know what is FIVB's and OG commitees intention, but if they complain that women's volleyball is not popular therefore deserves few spots, that is because their dumb qualification system which ends up with bad quality volleyball, noone wants to watch such a cheap tv show.

What worries me is the points teams get after OG. I hope they only give points to the teams who finish in top 4, since a team finishing lower than 4th place in such an ok quality tournament does not deserve points.

• I find the 'representation of each continent' concept very overrated. Like seriously, what's the point? If it such an obsession, we have grand champions cup that include a representative of each continent.

In many sports, there's no representation of from several continents and it is just fine. OG is all about getting the best players/teams of each sport and watching them competing each other every 4 years. This should be THE highest point of each sport.

And the argument of pitying poor countries and giving them free spots is BS. As I mentioned before, Serbia is a great example of not being a wealthy country and still being pretty good at sports thanks to their sport culture. Same with Brasil! Iran is not a developed country neither but they have a really good male team as well. On the other hand, countries like Ireland are not successful at most of Olympic sports although they are very wealthy 'western' countries.

Despite of the fact that, for many years, South American or African countries have been joining olympics undeservedly and there's still not any improvement going on:whistle:

• In many sports, there's no representation of from several continents and it is just fine.

Sports such as?

but if they complain that women's volleyball is not popular therefore deserves few spots

12 teams is the standard for every team sport at the olympics except men's football (who has 16 teams). They can't increase it because you can't have an infinite number of people living in the olympic village. Popularity doesn't matter, men's basketball is much more popular and they get 12 teams too.

• Despite of the fact that, for many years, South American or African countries have been joining olympics undeservedly and there's still not any improvement going on:whistle:

I can't speak for other countries, but in Argentina women's volleyball is improving. I do feel like playing in Rio increased their popularity here. Every year we have better and better results at U18/U20 level. I wouldn't be surprised if in let's say 5 years we have an stable VNL mid-table level team (like the men). Obviously now the team wouldn't be "deserving" of a place in the top 12, but from what I see they are getting there.

• I am fine with this qualification system as long as it has a very minor effect on world ranking of teams. As I wrote before, 5th place and further on should get "0" points when the level of tournament is low.

• Can we all agree that the current qualification system is at least better than the one for Rio? I found it bizarre that PUR got to go into the easy world qualification tournament, while DOM had to compete with the top teams because DOM beat PUR in NORCECA qualifying. That made no sense at all.

that is true, DOM could have done some chicanery last time and deliberately lost the norceca match vs. PUR, so they'd have had an easy qual. tournament. blame fivb for being shady and stupid. but i'm still not happy with the current situation.

in the men's tournament, it seems both BRA & ARG and US & CAN are going to qualify, so there's a 3rd team from both n. and s. america... and europe is going to get only 3 spots at OG...

• I am fine with this qualification system as long as it has a very minor effect on world ranking of teams. As I wrote before, 5th place and further on should get "0" points when the level of tournament is low.

Just give less points, no need to be so extreme and give a 0.

0 points is stupid because world ranking also gives some points for teams that failed in olympic qualification. So according to your criteria for example, the highest european team that failed to qualify would be getting more ranking points than whoever finishes 5th at the olympics, which is nonsense.

• in the men's tournament, it seems both BRA & ARG and US & CAN are going to qualify, so there's a 3rd team from both n. and s. america... and europe is going to get only 3 spots at OG...

If everything goes as predicted Europe should get 4 spots at the OG, not 3. The winner of FRA/POL/SLO, the winner of ITA/SRB , RUS (if they beat IRN at home) + the final european spot.

Of course, there is also BUL (vs BRA), FIN (vs ARG/CAN) and BEL/NED (vs USA) but they are not favorites.

So, basically it's the same scenario as the women.

• I`m sorry, but World Cup will be another "VNL" between Brazil vs USA....how can Serbia, Netherlands and Russia send their best line up when WC starts 3 days after ECH final???.....That`s pathetic.

Anyways....I just hope Serbia stays #1 or falls to #2 or #5, because that will put them in pool B at the OG and that is usually the group of death. I don`t want them in the pool with Japan, Argentina?, Kenya? and probably DOM? ... Hopefully Brazil goes to pool A since they love watching African and South American teams at the OG.....<3

I want my favorite team to play against the best in pool play and not get a easy path to the finals.

• according to some of our users, VNL should be the best ranking tournament because of obvious reasons

I don't know what those obvious reasons are (because I'm dumb) but I'd go for VNL being worth the most points because it would tell the world who has the deepest bench, the best B-Team :super:

I love me some B-Team Volleyball 8)

• Anyways....I just hope Serbia stays #1 or falls to #2 or #5, because that will put them in pool B at the OG and that is usually the group of death. I don`t want them in the pool with Japan, Argentina?, Kenya? and probably DOM? ... Hopefully Brazil goes to pool A since they love watching African and South American teams at the OG.....<3

I want my favorite team to play against the best in pool play and not get a easy path to the finals.

As of now, if all the highest ranked qualify...

A

JPN, USA, BRA, ITA, KOR, CMR

B

SRB, CHN, RUS, NED, DOM, ARG

Not that uneven I guess?

• I`m sorry, but World Cup will be another "VNL" between Brazil vs USA....how can Serbia, Netherlands and Russia send their best line up when WC starts 3 days after ECH final???.....That`s pathetic.

Anyways....I just hope Serbia stays #1 or falls to #2 or #5, because that will put them in pool B at the OG and that is usually the group of death. I don`t want them in the pool with Japan, Argentina?, Kenya? and probably DOM? ... Hopefully Brazil goes to pool A since they love watching African and South American teams at the OG.....<3

From my personal experience, I can definitely say that the main goal is all about to get the ticket for OGs. It's probably not like desire or goal, it's a must. RVF does care about the result of OGs, that's why they have planned to finish Superliga early next year because of having enough training time. After that, ECH will probably be the second goal tournament ASAIK. If World CUP keeps having ranking points, I don't think this tournament will totally be equal to that one.

• That`s 50/50......but knowing how Japan does things...I bet they will find a way to exchange Brazil and Italy for Netherlans and Argentina lol.

I still hope Turkey beat China and we will have them instead of Korea (sorry Kim).

• That`s 50/50......but knowing how Japan does things...I bet they will find a way to exchange Brazil and Italy for Netherlans and Argentina lol.

I still hope Turkey beat China and we will have them instead of Korea (sorry Kim).

China can definitely qualify in the Asian qualification tournament, but they'd still take it seriously. One less European team in OG, easier for China 😂 😂 😂

• Also, Thailand beat S Korea in the recent 2018 Asian games. Could be Japan, China, Thailand.

Thailand beat Korea in 2017 Asian Championship, 2018 Asian games, WCH, and 2019 VNL. I don’t why some people still think Korea is much better than Thailand. For me, it’s 50/50 for both countries in Asian OQ.

Unless China doesn’t pass through the first round, then it’s 0 chance for both countries :p