2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Even good amateur players know where the libero is, so any NT, even on a bad day, doesn't need Castillo's big hair to spot her.

And yet some fans of the game are still complaining why do players serve or attack on the libero no matter what level we are on.

That can't be tactics unless the libero is just amateur.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I don’t like Startseva’s game, relying on Goncha and Voronkova way too much. They need at least 2-3 more first tempo per set to make games easier. Fetisova is more balanced as a blocker than attacker, nevertheless she may be quite good in attack when she’s given good sets. Koroleva is good enough, I don’t think Korean MBs can stop her.

Galkina is quietly doing her job and rarely gets mentioned, on top of that I like her because she’s so consistant.

• And yet some fans of the game are still complaining why do players serve or attack on the libero no matter what level we are on.

That can't be tactics unless the libero is just amateur.

Of course it can be tactic. Sometimes serving to the libero means the ball comes out of the setter's back which makes it hard for the setter to observe the block, or sometimes teams know exactly what the setter is going to do when reception is good and prepare well for that.

• Folie starting over Danesi against Belgium!

• I do agree with you, + her setting to Goncha and Voronkova was horrible at times.

And Parubets has better chemistry with Romanova, they’re teammates in the club, so not to wonder.

Goncha will do her job anyway, it just depends on how much help she gets from the other girls. Tomorrow it will be Goncha vs Kim but as I wrote already with a bit of contribution of the Irinas they would have an easier life, though I doubt if Startseva is brave enough to do that in such a big game.

• Malinov distributes well so far also Folie is doing a much better job than Danesi. Half of the points of Belgium are service mistakes by Italy.

• Malinov distributes well so far also Folie is doing a much better job than Danesi. Half of the points of Belgium are service mistakes by Italy.

I liked Italy, very aggressive in every aspect. Some mistakes from the service line, but that's the philosophy of the team: taking some risks at the serve, which has paid off in this first set.

• And Parubets has better chemistry with Romanova, they’re teammates in the club, so not to wonder.

Goncha will do her job anyway, it just depends on how much help she gets from the other girls. Tomorrow it will be Goncha vs Kim but as I wrote already with a bit of contribution of the Irinas they would have an easier life, though I doubt if Startseva is brave enough to do that in such a big game.

Are you implying that Romanova is better?? :/

I'm still in a dilemma about whether Romanova or Startseva.

Romanova has been playing with Voronkova and Parubets since the third week of VNL, maybe she will be better than Startseva:/

• No, I’d put Zenya as starter, it doesn’t hurt trusting an experienced setter. Besides she’s a very good server and relatively strong blocker.

Romanova may be useful when her attackers are into fast balls, anyway she’s ok as back-up.

Especially the disastrous performance of Pankova and Vetrova during the last Olympic games, I’d be happy with anyone else honestly.

• Actually Poll is doing a better job than what I saw from Orthmann this summer! This did allow us to see Poll shouldn't be ignored because she doesn't play in the big leagues!

In her first season in greek league she wasnt really good, but in the 2nd was much better

• Italy dominated the second set! Some facts: Folie being a factor both in attack and in block, where she is touching so many attacks from the belgians; Pietrini back with her jump serves (but still without googles); Chirichella too had some good spikes, while Egonu slowed down a bit after a great first set!

• Emil I'm not gonna judge Zhenya but her horrible setting to Khoduna ended up with injury last year. Her overusing Goncharova against USA was a similar scenario to me. When Zhenya in, honestly I think Parubets will be useless in attack. I checked her statistics it was really horrible 5/18:what:. She never had such a performance in Uralochka. Zhenya is too slow and her style is not proper for Parubets IMO.

Russia won't win against the big teams if they play typical, slow Russian volleyball. Goncha, as good as she is, is not so young anymore and you could see it takes more effort than she used to.. Startseva is an insecure setter I bet tomorrow we'll see her set exclusively to the pins, good thing she has some connection with Koreleva

• Thailand was a heartbeat away from being in a much better spot than they are now. I believe going to the Tie Break! eliminates them from opportunity :(