2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Thailand will host the AVC Olympic Qualifiers from thavolleyball twitter page.

Thai's last chance to go to Olympics by this "golden team" of theirs. By hosting this event, and minus Japanese team there, it'll boost Thai team's chance to attend OG 2020. KOR team is their sole obstacle, yet the greatest one!

I wish Thai team will make it this time, after the close encounter filled up with incident at Japan in the last cycle.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Thai's last chance to go to Olympics by this "golden team" of theirs. By hosting this event, and minus Japanese team there, it'll boost Thai team's chance to attend OG 2020. KOR team is their sole obstacle, yet the greatest one!

I wish Thai team will make it this time, after the close encounter filled up with incident at Japan in the last cycle.

Literally this. They will never have a better chance without China and Japan.

South Korea is a tough nut to break, but playing home they MUST win this.

• Looking at the CEV rankings, I guess it's safe to say that Netherlands, Turkey, Poland, Germany, Belgium, Bulgaria and Croatia will play at the OQT. The only question is whether Czech Republic loses enough points to be overtaken by Azerbaijan.

• CEV changes its mind and European Qualifications probably won't be played in Turkey but in... Luxembourg.

Final decision will be done/announced during Men's Eurovolley.

https://www.przegladsportowy.p…sie-w-luksemburgu/dyrbnp7

It's a good thing it will be played on neutral territory! As we can see in the last 5 editions of ECH, all the hosts got through to the final 4. Even though they weren't the favourites.

• It's a good thing it will be played on neutral territory! As we can see in the last 5 editions of ECH, all the hosts got through to the final 4. Even though they weren't the favourites.

I thought that CEV is set to ear some money thanks to this tournament and who will pay from Lux for it?

But neutral territory is good idea IMO.

• I don't like it at all, playing home is a major factor for one of the teams involved and creates a more challenging atmosphere for all. The perfect mental stage for an Olympic qualification.

Besides that, if this is true then Turkey chances go down significantly. How many Turkish fans (and not only them) can afford expensive flights and accommodation in Luxembourg?

• CEV ranking is made current, valid for European Olympic qualifier (look there https://www.cev.eu/Rankings/Women.aspx).

Reducing to the eight best teams not yet qualified (i.e. excluding qualified Russia, Serbia and Italy), this means the following order of participants:

1. Netherlands

2. Turkey

3. Germany

4. Bulgaria

5. Poland

6. Belgium

7. Croatia

8. Azeri

• They used CEV ranking in the past with host as no. 1. So we have to wait for host confirmation. I think that at this point only Turkey and Luxembourg are interested in it so the groups can be like this:

I: NED/TUR, BUL, POL, AZE

II: NED/TUR, GER, BEL, CRO

Basically Turkey can choose in which group they will be. If they will organize in Pool I and if not in Pool II.

• There's only one ticket to grab, so you have to beat everyone. Group distribution doesn't make a difference indeed

• There's only one ticket to grab, so you have to beat everyone. Group distribution doesn't make a difference indeed

Minimizing the risk of an early elimination is still important though.

It only takes two matches to knock you out of the group stage and the olympics. A team under crisis can always regroup during the playoffs so an easier group can be very good for a team stricken with injuries during the winter break of club season or even during the continental OQT itself.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Minimizing the risk of an early elimination is still important though.

It only takes two matches to knock you out of the group stage and the olympics. A team under crisis can always regroup during the playoffs so an easier group can be very good for a team stricken with injuries during the winter break of club season or even during the continental OQT itself.

China was last in their Pool in Rio, and look how they finished.

• Heynen taught all of us several times that you only need to win some specific key matches in order to get what you want. A good draw would be putting the most dangerous team in your own pool so you don't meet them again until the final.