2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• China was last in their Pool in Rio, and look how they finished.

THAT Chinese team was an EXCEPTIONAL even fortunate back then… "once upon a time" phenomenon! How defeated the SUPERIOR HOST team, Brazil, was really beyond the expectation of the Chinese team (but once they did, it's an apparent turning point that gave the team the boldness to deal with any other!), no one within the team really had such confidence though they needed to fight back as the only choice!

And how many teams had successfully attained such outcome in Olympics or its qualification after being at the bottom of the qualified group stage at the history of the modern volleyball? 😄 🙄🤔

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• THAT Chinese team was an EXCEPTIONAL even fortunate back then… "once upon a time" phenomenon!

And how many teams had successfully attained such outcome in Olympics or its qualification after being at the bottom of the qualified group stage at the history of the modern volleyball? 😄 🙄🤔

Brazil did it just 4 years before than China.

• These powerful CEV teams, if being spread out into all other Confederations for the Olympics qualifying purposes, will easily grab the remaining four spots from the native teams :-)

But then it won't be a colourful Olympic event but a European extended fest :whistle:

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Heynen taught all of us several times that you only need to win some specific key matches in order to get what you want. A good draw would be putting the most dangerous team in your own pool so you don't meet them again until the final.

That's what exactly happened to turkey during ECh and it worked for them

• But then it won't be a colourful Olympic event but a European extended fest :whistle:

it will be colourful enough as long as there are chn, bra, USA, jpn and African team.

• But the Chinese NT was the only team which had lost three matches in the group stage and still able to win gold.

Yes sure.

As well as Brazil is the only team which was just one point away from being eliminated; actually, faced several match points, but still claimed the gold medal in modern vball history.

• Let's not forget that the rules for classification changed between 2012 and 2016. Brazil would have been #3 in 2012 if the current rules were applied.

• Yes sure.

As well as Brazil is the only team which was just one point away from being eliminated; actually, faced several match points, but still claimed the gold medal in modern vball history.

don't forget that glaring error from the lineswoman on the 5th set, the garay spike that landed about a foot in but was called out... luckily didn't change the final result...

• don't forget that glaring error from the lineswoman on the 5th set, the garay spike that landed about a foot in but was called out... luckily didn't change the final result...

good thing we have the challenge system these days

• Dutch federation is going to bid for the European olympic qualification tournament in January:white:

Alberda just said it on television.

• Who are the Dutch? Is that NED? :rolll:

j/k I love them as hosts. They’ve been the most party people I’ve seen in the past couple years. Full stadiums and rooting for everyone. That’s going to change people’s prediction games if they get it

• Who are the Dutch? Is that NED? :rolll:

j/k I love them as hosts. They’ve been the most party people I’ve seen in the past couple years. Full stadiums and rooting for everyone. That’s going to change people’s prediction games if they get it

Yes the Dutch are the Netherlands!

And I have to agree, they are a great host!:)

• Look at the very first match of the South Korean team in the 2019 World Cup against the Chinese team, the South Koreans look strong and good. It took the Chinese team some serious efforts to dismantle the South Korean resistance.

If the team remains strong in the Asian OQT in the January 2020 like what they displayed against RUS earlier and CHN today, then the Thai team will find it very hard to beat this team. Basically if the KOR squad keeps on playing its good games, the THA team has very slim chance to earn the last Asian ticket to Tokyo OG 2020, that spot will go to the KOR instead. The best of KOR team will simply beat the best of THA team nowadays!

• If Lee Jaeyoung could play like she did vs Thailand, Korea would definitely get the ticket to Tokyo

And even though I do wish the Thai golden girls will grab the last ticket to Tokyo OG 2020, but frankly I doubt much their chance seeing the KOR progress under Lavarini. Thai team needs some miraculous performance to attend Tokyo 2020!