2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• The Turkish and Polish teams as the strongest contenders should reap benefits from this sudden head coach departure, with the Dutch team is ridden with some problems at present. Their replacement coach may not have enough time to work on the team for the Olympic qualifying tournament in January 2020 hosted there, the last chance to get the sole ticket to the 2020 OG.

Jamie Morrison is no longer the coach of Dutch volleyball players. The Dutch Volleyball Federation announced this on Saturday (05 Oct). Support for Morrison in the player group disappeared last year.

Morrison reacts disappointedly to the Nevobo Volleyball Federation:

"For the last three years, I have been fully dedicated to the Dutch volleyball team, we have not achieved our goals in 2019 and I am responsible for that, I would have liked to finish the assignment that I started in 2017 towards Tokyo, but that is no longer possible."

https://newsbeezer.com/netherl…layers-as-national-coach/

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• I think that it was the right time for change. This is so close to something big (medals of some color), but still so far away. Sadly, there will be little time to put it together as the national team season is over. Maybe Zwerver coaches them in qualifier?

• Any news about the new head coach of Dutch NT?

I read somewhere, Ferhat or Santarelli ?

No there is no further information. Indeed those two names are named and some Dutch coaches, as Alberda, Selinger, Blangé who only would be the head coach during qualification tournament.

• No there is no further information. Indeed those two names are named and some Dutch coaches, as Alberda, Selinger, Blangé who only would be the head coach during qualification tournament.

I just wrote in DUtch NT-thread: the level-difference between Santarelli <--> Akbas is so huge, it must be a mistake both are a candidate...

• NORCECA Qualifiers composition:

Dominican Republic

Puerto Rico

Canada

In 5th place match of NORCECA championship, Mexico will play again Cuba to compete for the last vacancy of pre-OG, the winner will qualify too.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• the way DOM collapses during games, especially now without castillo, i wouldn’t be too shocked if PUR pulls an upset. we’ll see.

I don't know, it's always the same old story: PR plays better technically and tachtically, but on the long run DR starts spiking over their block and wins easily the 5th set. Prieto was exhausted after 3 sets tonight. Ocasio was injured and didn't come at all. No one could kill the ball anymore.

• yeah, it seems there’s always this regular norceca pecking order. DOM never beats USA, and PUR never beats DOM... it’s the old script. PUR played well for 4 sets, then collapsed at the end. but DOM, when they regroup and eliminate errors, can be a tough opponent. PUR just couldn’t stop brayelin at the end.

• DR beats USA 3-2. DR had a 2-0 lead, before the USA comes back to take it a fifth set. 15-9 for the DR after they jumped out to an early lead, which the USA could not catch up to.

DR look like favorites for NORCECA berth in Tokyo.

• Was it DOM that played excellently or the USA that played badly on that day that DOM could beat the USA unexpectedly (in a NT A vs NT A scenario)? :whistle:

Hopefully a high resolution TV broadcast quality full replay will be made available so can watch it later on.

DOM shall not escape from Tokyo 2020 now... I guess its women's volleyball team is really the pride of that small island nation :thumbup:

EDIT: David-101 in NORCECA thread already posted the replay link.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().