2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• DOM shall not escape from Tokyo 2020 now... I guess its women's volleyball team is really the pride of that small island nation :thumbup:

I guess you don’t know that baseball is the number one sport in the country. In order for baseball players from the DR (an island country) to make to Major League Baseball, they have a phrase, “you can’t walk off the island.” Meaning they have to swing the bat aggressively to hit the ball to become successful.

• Schedule for European olympic qualification tournament in January is announced (see link below).

Poule A:
    The Netherlands
    Poland
    Bulgaria
    Azerbaijan

Poule B:
    Turkey

Germany
    Belgium
    Croatia

https://www.volleybal.nl/okt20…e20e-34e8328f24-256915497

• It seems Turkey will play their strongest opponent in the group on the first match and will play Belgium before the day of the semi final. If they play the semifinal, they will be tired from the last game but it is understandable as the Netherlands sees them as their biggest rival in this tournament. Any team would have done that.

• Hey after long break :wavy:

Turkey and Netherlands seem to be favourites to play in final, however IMHO pool B looks harder.

I don't underestimate anyone, but I think that Germany will play with Netherlands and Poland with Turkey in SF and after that probably Turkey may get ticket.

I agree with point that Turkish players may be tired after group stages what can be a chance to potential opponent from Pool A.

Some teams will have longer breaks, some shorter., some when advance may get even 5 days playing in a row - I mean Croatia and Belgium.

We'll see in 2 months how will it end up:teach:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Regarding 2020 Tokyo OG qualification for Asia and the Pacifics, the Pools and the detailed schedule has been annouced

Pool A: Thailand (Organisor), Chinese Taipei, Australia, Hong Kong China

Pool B: Korea, Kazakhstan, Iran, Indonesia

Schedules (Place: Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand)

January 7:

KAZ x IRI, KOR x INA, THA x TPE

January 8:

KAZ x INA, KOR x IRI, AUS x TPE

January 9:

INA x IRI, KOR x KAZ, THA x AUS

Kick-offs (January 11):

B1 x A2, A1 x B2

Vacancy awarding (January 12):

3rd place, 1st palce

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Why in the world is there a 3rd/4th playoff...

• Same!

Poland will need Stysiak and Malwina at the same time. One of these girls should learn to receive.

I think Poland is a bit unlucky because they will match up with other either Germany or Turkey who have been good server teams. Stysiak as OH, especially moving from Molten ball to Mikasa might be a nightmare for Polish receiving line.

• Dutch players are not having a good season. But when u look at Turkish, they are not far behind.

Hande and Seyma are on the bench.

Meliha is not delivering, Ebrar and Cansu r not full time starters.

Kubra is injured.

Only Naz, Eda, Boz have been playing well. And it might all come down to their performance.

Sloetjes is not the same. But if she plays her best, she could easily win a match on her own.

Polish Players on the other hand are playing really well. This could be their time to shine.

Vasileva is playing like a superstar. I'm not sure she could win the whole thing, but she could certainly hurt a team with a loss. If Rabadzhieva plays I wouldn't count them out either. Germany could do the same.

• I think Turkey will include some surprise new players like Tugba this season. Ebrar has been a starter mostly actually, can't say the same about Meliha whose also not playing well indeed. Seyma is having some playing time but I expect Tugba and/or Derya taking her spot anyways. Zehra looks to be on weights imo and Naz, Eda and Boz seem ready for OGQ. I'm optimistic about the team and I hope Gio will take some surprises with him. Everyone knows I like Cansu but there is also Buse Unal (imo underrated) and Ezgi Dilik still, and Cansu is not even bad when she plays which has been equal with Maja so far. I don't expect too many big changes but 2-3 new players could come.

Poland also definitely looks good I agree about that!

• Dont forget that Neriman can be an option too. She had a statement on instagram that she is ready to play for NT when she is called.

The Final 8 in Japan is Jan 11-26. Isn't that when the OGQs are? There's no way Neriman has an option to leave Japan at that time, although I would welcome it wholeheartedly. I'd be much happier with Neriman helping Turkey (damnit, I've never seen her play for Turkey) than with helping Toyota finish third instead of 5th or 6th :)

• The Final 8 in Japan is Jan 11-26. Isn't that when the OGQs are? There's no way Neriman has an option to leave Japan at that time, although I would welcome it wholeheartedly. I'd be much happier with Neriman helping Turkey (damnit, I've never seen her play for Turkey) than with helping Toyota finish third instead of 5th or 6th :)

I was gonna write about that.

Some leagues will have a 2 week break for the OG qualification. I'm surprised Japan won't do the same.

But I don't think Toyota or any team can stop her or any player from playing for the NT. In this case she would have to leave her team when they need her the most.

• The Final 8 in Japan is Jan 11-26. Isn't that when the OGQs are? There's no way Neriman has an option to leave Japan at that time, although I would welcome it wholeheartedly. I'd be much happier with Neriman helping Turkey (damnit, I've never seen her play for Turkey) than with helping Toyota finish third instead of 5th or 6th :)

tough situation... Neriman is also simply not the type of person to ditch the Toyota girls last second but I'm sure she has an Olympic dream still (though she was in OG 2012) also which is the peak level of achievement for any sportsmen and women,

• what about Van Hecke and Laura Heyrman ?

I don't think they will play for the Belgium NT anymore. Van Hecke skipped the summer of 2018 and she doubted if she would ever play again for Belgium. At least in 2019 she didn't. Heyrman had a lot of injuries, so she didn't play for the NT in 2018. In 2019 she played some beach volleyball tournaments in Belgium. Wich probably means she was healthy enough to could play for the NT. Aelbrecht was the only 'veteran' who wanted to play ECH 2019, but van den Broek declined her offer and wants to keep playing with the younger squad. That's why Aelbrecht decided to quit playing for Belgium. I think it's sad, because they could be a competitive team. They would have good players on every position except the setter.

• I was gonna write about that.

Some leagues will have a 2 week break for the OG qualification. I'm surprised Japan won't do the same.

But I don't think Toyota or any team can stop her or any player from playing for the NT. In this case she would have to leave her team when they need her the most.

I suppose it all depends on the contract. Both the Santiago sisters and Trần Thị Thanh Thúy were prevented from joining their NTs for tournaments important to them. I doubt Neriman's contract is any different, but who knows?

• I suppose it all depends on the contract. Both the Santiago sisters and Trần Thị Thanh Thúy were prevented from joining their NTs for tournaments important to them. I doubt Neriman's contract is any different, but who knows?

I did not know that. I doubt they would have renewed with her knowing she would not be there for the finals. I would not count Neriman playing for Turkey then.