2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Wow... then how long does it take to make it into the final decision??

"The ordinary procedure lasts between 6 and 12 months.

For the appeals procedure, an award must be pronounced within three months after the transfer of the file to the Panel.

In urgent cases and upon request, the CAS may, within a very short time, order interim measures or suspend the execution of a decision appealed against.­"

Guess this falls into urgent cases category :)

• Russia hockey team participated in 2018 Winter Olympics and won gold under the name of "Olympic Athletes from Russia". I'm sure Russian NT will find a way to participate this time as well. Otherwise it will be outrageous.

IOC announcement before the 2018 Winter Olympics: "IOC SUSPENDS RUSSIAN NOC AND CREATES A PATH FOR CLEAN INDIVIDUAL ATHLETES TO COMPETE IN PYEONGCHANG 2018 UNDER THE OLYMPIC FLAG"

• Are we sure all volleyball players are clean, I do think they should be but in case they are not that means they for sure cannot join OG

• Is it not yet decided to ban all the players from russia, or allow individuals who is free from drugs??

This was WADA's decision to ban Russia from next 4 years in world competitions. We still need to wait and see how IOC and FIVB to react. There's a chance that IOC or FIVB not totally accept all the decisions made by WADA, maybe IOC or FIVB will accept part of the decisions.

To me, I think it's not fair to ban the whole countries. If WADA has strong proof that some datas were manipulated, they surely can trace back to certain players. Why they have to ban the whole countries? Not fair to others who are clean.

• Haven't Russia been banned before? Also because of the drug scandal?

Russia is banned from 2018 winter olympic games in pyeongchang. They were still able to participate in the olympics under the name olympic athletes from russia, who are clear from the doping issue.

• Besides, if russia participates olympics under the name of olympic athletes from russia, what happens to the pool composition?? Will FIVB still use the world ranking of russia, or they refuse it and place them in the bare end?

• When was the last time Russia has missed playing in OG?:white:

• This was WADA's decision to ban Russia from next 4 years in world competitions. We still need to wait and see how IOC and FIVB to react. There's a chance that IOC or FIVB not totally accept all the decisions made by WADA, maybe IOC or FIVB will accept part of the decisions.

To me, I think it's not fair to ban the whole countries. If WADA has strong proof that some datas were manipulated, they surely can trace back to certain players. Why they have to ban the whole countries? Not fair to others who are clean.

Maybe it is because the doping programme was supposedly government-funded.

• A couple of things I'd like to point out before being misunderstood:

- Russia is guilty of this and much worse things we will probably never know about. The amount of doped Russian athletes in other sports is astronomical and the tipping point was probably Sochi 2014 (doping and plain buying out medals from sensible sports such as figure skating)

- individual athletes should never have been banned just for being Russian just like it happened before; the innocence (presumed and proved by doping tests) of the individual athletes should not be thrown away like this.

- other countries haven't been banned for similar behavior (USA and Jamaica track and field, China swimming are state doping and it's undeniable); Russia is undeniably a weaker target for international political reasons, though it definitely deserved to receive a harsh lesson considering they were warned too many times. I doubt we will ever see anything like it happening to the above countries.

• - other countries haven't been banned for similar behavior (USA and Jamaica track and field, China swimming are state doping and it's undeniable); I doubt we will ever see anything like it happening to the above countries.

US Olympic Committee is not paid for by the US government, and hence not state sponsored doping. Individual athletes made their own decisions (yes some may be accidental).

• ˄ Perhaps not state sponsored, but definitely sponsored by corporations (i.e. Nike) who make A LOT of money of these athletes. If a major athlete like Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps' sample tested positive on something, you can bet your ass that it would instantly be covered up.

I think the ban should be limited to individual sports, since doping in team sports isn't that big of an issue. And I think Russia should get banned, but then China, Ukraine, North Korea, Belarus etc should get the same treatment.

• Nike dropped Maria Sharapova when she tested positive. Did the same with Marion Jones and Lance Armstrong...and they're like the heavyweights in their sports and some of the most high profiled athletes of their time. It would be a PR nightmare for a sports oriented company like that to stick with a "disgraced" athlete or be found interfering with an on going investigation to save their brand by covering it up.

Besides they don't quite move the needle of profits as much as a Michael Jordan or a Tiger Woods. Even Woods infidelity got Nike a lot of negative publicity. Just imagine how disastrous it would be for them if it goes out that they participated in a cover up. So I would say there's a near zero chance that they would do something like that.

• Sorry but why are we looking for excuses for thieves who stole medals and careers of many other athletes especially if they used doping consciously? Yes I am calling those Russian athletes who used doping thieves and I agree they are not the only ones, there were a few Turkish ones in athleticism and I am very happy they were punished, almost all of their careers ended immediately.

I think organisations should push for the worst punishment possible in such cases including suspension from that sport all life unless the person can prove that he/she did not do it consciously. Today it is not very difficult for sports people to actually question what they are taking as supplements, read about them and consult to others.