2020 Olympic Games - qualification

• Argentina was more stable at reception and Vicky Mayer did her job well. Elina, surprisingly, woke up and helped her team towards today's victory. I also enjoyed watching Nizetich leadership in several moments - she was always trying to calm down her teammates after mistakes and in decisive moments.

I am interested to see how Colombia will develop in the following years. They seem to have a lot of potential - even players coming from the bench. From their starting six, Segovia is the one who needs to step it up a little - she's often unstable.

About Argentina, I am also curious to see what'll happen after Tokyo. They're more experienced and I don't know if players like Lazcano, Rizzo, Fresco and Nizetich will stay until Paris. If they decide to leave, I believe Argentina will struggle a little because I don't see great potential in players who are benching now.

• Hey, so I just noticed both Korea and Italy are tied for 8th. If Korea qualifies as well, how will they decide who is 8th and who is 9th in the group allocation? This won't be an issue if NED qualifies since they will both be in group A, but if NED doesn't qualify the 8th is in group B and the 9th is in group A

• well, this has been an exhausting week and it's not even over... norceca is this weekend... looking forward to PUR x DOM on sunday...

why are all the Q tournaments at the same time? i'm staying up all night watching games, not just the women but the men, everything is this week! it's driving me crazy... the other day i watched a few minutes of about 8-9 matches...

i did manage to catch a few minutes of KAZ x KOR. sheesus, KAZ is such a huge mess... they have OPP that are very young, that don't receive serve and don't get many sets, so why are they there? they haven't been able to find anyone to replace mudritskaya, who btw, was not great but at least she could kill the ball some times (i said this before, fresco is like mudri, very tall and clunky).

i don't understand why IRN sent a junior team. the senior team also needs the competition and experience. in my experience, there's nothing worse than playing beyond your level. if the jr. team is just going to get crushed, they're not going to learn much. years ago, for the 2014 WCh Q, they had CHN and THA in the same group as UZB and FIJ. to watch the CHN giants beating up on the FIJ amateurs was tragic (and no, they didn't rest any of their starters). it was pathetic. fivb should have had a tiered system, and now they have a more selective process to get to the finals of the Q tournament.

i also saw a few minutes of IRN x INA. have not seen so many veiled players in one game before... just years ago, no players in the INA team were veiled, now it seems it's half of the team...

i haven't watched a lot of the euro games, but i saw a bit of NED x POL today, and some of the TUR matches. tomorrow should be interesting against BEL. i wish i had seen BUL or AZE... or the african matches.

• Argentina was more stable at reception and Vicky Mayer did her job well. Elina, surprisingly, woke up and helped her team towards today's victory. I also enjoyed watching Nizetich leadership in several moments - she was always trying to calm down her teammates after mistakes and in decisive moments.

I am interested to see how Colombia will develop in the following years. They seem to have a lot of potential - even players coming from the bench. From their starting six, Segovia is the one who needs to step it up a little - she's often unstable.

About Argentina, I am also curious to see what'll happen after Tokyo. They're more experienced and I don't know if players like Lazcano, Rizzo, Fresco and Nizetich will stay until Paris. If they decide to leave, I believe Argentina will struggle a little because I don't see great potential in players who are benching now.

Must I say that today our team was carried by the young players (Mayer, Bulaich, Elina, Farriol). Nizetich and Lazcano played relatively poorly.

Nobody cares about women's volleyball here, don't think we will see much progress. Mayer will play for a good european or brazilian team someday though, she's above the level of potential of her NT teammates for sure.

• From their starting six, Segovia is the one who needs to step it up a little - she's often unstable.

segovia struggled in the pan am games, both coneo and martinez were carrying the team and outscoring her... this week, segovia seemed to have gotten her groove back, but that was against VEN and PER, and in the first set today, then she went downhill... as for the COL youngsters, olaya, montano (both are tall, hard-hitting OH/OPP), carabali, mosquera, are all very promising, and let's not forget marin, coneo, rangel and martinez are still very young.

as for ARG, i like mayer, but i have seen some of flamengo matches, and she can struggle too, like today in the beginning... but yes, she's young and has great potential. same with bulaich, farriol and elina. and i've always loved nizetich and lazcano.

• Have you seen when Algeria sent a junior team?

• Asian teams have huge level difference which can't be compared to any other continents. Only China, Japan, Korea, Thailand is competitive in world level while other teams are not.

As we can see from this OQ and other competitions, the level difference between asian team is so so much huge.

If we have China, Japan in this tournament, 8 teams competition would be okay.

However China, Japan are already qualified, and also Vietnam and Philippines missed this tournament because of their local event VTV cup.

In this atmosphere, it would be okay to have just 4 teams to compete for 1 ticket. I know it is inevitable because absence of vietnam and phillippines is not expected, but it's really hard to watch unbalanced game for a long time. All asian competition is enough with asian championship I think.

• Hey, so I just noticed both Korea and Italy are tied for 8th. If Korea qualifies as well, how will they decide who is 8th and who is 9th in the group allocation? This won't be an issue if NED qualifies since they will both be in group A, but if NED doesn't qualify the 8th is in group B and the 9th is in group A

That's just mistake. If you see the points Italy has 165, while Korea has 138. So Italy 8th and Korea 9th.

• I don’t think VIE and PHI are any better than IRI/KAZ. Only notable players there are Than Thi Tran Thuy 🇻🇳 and Jaja Santiago 🇵🇭. The rest, not so good to create a tougher competition.

Class A Asian Teams: CHN, JPN

Class B Asian Teams: KOR, THA

-

Class D Asian Teams: The rest.

• Looking at the scores from last year - Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, other Asian teams are getting closer to Thailand. Expect them tom improve further with the establishment of their respective local leagues.

SEA Games proved Thailand still the best out of the bench. They were toying around during group stage and ran through Vietnam in the final.

• It is a bit late but CONGRATS ARGENTINA! It wasnt such a good olympic cycle, after all the chaos inside the federation, inside the team (Orduna farewall, Nizetich not going to the last WCH, etc, etc), but the goal was achieved! Argentina even lost more than 3 "important" matches against Colombia in the last cycle (like it was already stated, Panam Cup, Panan Games, etc), but Argentina did knew the most crucial match in these 4 years was today one, despite of facing it against the home crowd.

Colombia is a very funny team to watch: a lot of team spirit, a superb libero (a great in the making, hope she gets offers from biggest clubs) and a brave setter. But it is biggest weakness is the bench. There is nobody who could replace Coneo, Margarita, Segovia and worse, Marin, when they have a bad day. Just no one. The bench is too young (U-23) or just too raw (like Olaya). It was the starting 7 or the starting 7, Rizzola knew it.

And experience plays a huge role in this kind of matches. Eventhough Nizetich and Lazcano didnt play a good match, they were always cheering up their teammates, giving them peace, not losing the calm, etc. Hats off for Vicky Mayer. She has all the material in order to be the next argentinian star in vball world, after Costagrande.

Finally, Colombia is a very likeable team, we have already stated that, but some players were a little bit too cocky against ARG and PER during these last 4 years. The last two teams are more "historical" teams in the CSV, in the other hand, Colombia the new kid from the block. Beating them of course was a pride for the rising Colombian team, even more when it started to be an habit. Nevertheless, they forgot that all these matches, in a confederation like CSV, are meaningless. The most important ones are the qualifiers for the WCH and Olympics. They spoke way too earlier. Colombia is a young team, with big talent. I'm sure they will improve this side.

• I don’t think VIE and PHI are any better than IRI/KAZ. Only notable players there are Than Thi Tran Thuy 🇻🇳 and Jaja Santiago 🇵🇭. The rest, not so good to create a tougher competition.

Class A Asian Teams: CHN, JPN

Class B Asian Teams: KOR, THA

-

Class D Asian Teams: The rest.

I think I can't be objective because I am Korean, but I think KOR and JPN are in the same level.

Korea is consistent in beating Japan in big tournaments lately, 2016 OQ, Olympics both win by 3:1, 2018 asian games 3:1, 2019 world cup 3:1.

They lost only in 2018 vnl, and 2019 asian championship(which was japan B), and they won it in 2019 vnl. So I think Korea is at least not in the low level than Japan.

I would divide asia like

Class A+: China

Class B: Korea, Japan, Thailand

Class D: Kazakhstan, Chinese thaipei

Plus I think Vietnam is a little bit better than other asian countries.