Volleyball Rotation

• http://www.fivb.org/EN/Referee…ules_2017-2020-EN-v06.pdf

19.1 DESIGNATION OF THE LIBERO

19.1.3 The Libero on court is the Acting Libero. If there is another Libero, he/
    she is the second Libero for the team.
    Only one Libero may be on court at any time.

19.3.2 Libero Replacements

19.3.2.2 The regular replacement player may replace and be replaced by
    either Libero. The Acting Libero can only be replaced by the regular
    replacement player for that position or by the second Libero

• thanks so much. this clears everything.

• Quick question, if I have 13 teams on a tournament, how's the table going to be? Is it 4 3 3 3 or 3 3 3 4? anyone can link me to the FIVB format for this?

One pool will have 4 and the others will all be three. You might want to give the best seeded teams 1-3 only a 3 team pool, while the other pool would have the 4th seed. Then serpentine 5-8, 9-12 and then 13 with the 4th seed.

• If one wanna learn quickly about the A to Z rules of the volleyball game (Player Positions, Service Rotations, Specialization etc) in a comprehensive yet very easy to grasp exposition, then try with this guide by the MIT Women's Volleyball Club:

https://wvc.mit.edu/sites/defa…erviceRotation_080911.pdf

I'm a lazy learner of all the rules but find out this reference is quite good and helpful within the short reading time! :P

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Is starting as a serving team or receiving team better when you can choose? I've read somewhere that indeed receiving is slightly more advantageous since getting a point during side out is more likely than getting an ace or stuff block. Do you agree?

• Is starting as a serving team or receiving team better when you can choose? I've read somewhere that indeed receiving is slightly more advantageous since getting a point during side out is more likely than getting an ace or stuff block. Do you agree?

No, I think it depends on your opponent a lot. If they have shaky receiving line, I would start with serving, even if they are not aced, they probably would send a free ball, attack bad etc and they might already get locked in a rotation from the beginning. Also most teams with shaky receiving have good attackers and servers, why would I stress my players with receiving a though serve from first point? I also think that, larger the gap of score gives you opportunity to push your serves harder, then your players will most likely get wild from the serve line, if you start with such an advantage.

But eventually I don't think such a decision influences the set score as much.

Why not make a statistical model or use t-test test, comparing these two alternatives. You can also add the "attacking power" and "serve power" as covariances :D I would love to see such a test.

• No, I think it depends on your opponent a lot. If they have shaky receiving line, I would start with serving, even if they are not aced, they probably would send a free ball, attack bad etc and they might already get locked in a rotation from the beginning. Also most teams with shaky receiving have good attackers and servers, why would I stress my players with receiving a though serve from first point? I also think that, larger the gap of score gives you opportunity to push your serves harder, then your players will most likely get wild from the serve line, if you start with such an advantage.

But eventually I don't think such a decision influences the set score as much.

Why not make a statistical model or use t-test test, comparing these two alternatives. You can also add the "attacking power" and "serve power" as covariances :D I would love to see such a test.

Found this! https://fivethirtyeight.com/fe…e-in-some-olympic-sports/

I guess we just need some data nerds to dig in Olympic matches

I remember reading something about this quite a while ago, it might have been in Mark Lebedew's blog but I don't remember for sure. I think it said that in regular sets it doesn't make a difference, but in tie-breaks it can make a difference because the team that starts with reception would need only one break point to win tie-break 15:13 whereas the serving team would need two break points. But I think in reality it would make a difference only very seldom, usually things level out during the course of a set.

• Think of it this way in the men's game, service errors are at a much higher percentage than the women's game. Additionally in the men's game, points are much shorter, first ball receive and kill from that pass and set. In that game, you want to receive serve because the chance of you scoring first is much higher. With the sprint to 15 in a fifth-set, teams will choice to receive first as a quick lead, could be kept. When the score is tied at 13, if you have a 75%-80% chance of scoring on serve receive (55%-60% kill on first ball + 20%-25% service errors), you'll take that. Hence if you lead 14-13 and are receiving, you like your chances of scoring and winning the match.

For the women's game, there are much fewer service errors and aces, therefore the ball is play more. Also rallies are longer, so serve receive is not as important (still important for the offense to try and score) of a choice. In the fifth set, that thought might go out the window because of the sprint to 15.

• Also don't forget, you only have a coin toss at the beginning of the match and before the fifth set.

If you win the coin toss, you can choose. So if you win the coin toss, you choose to receive in the 1st set, you'll serve in the 2nd, receive in the 3rd and serve in the 4th.