Forum software upgrade - new/old features

• Hi guys,

As you have surely noticed, the forum's owner did an upgrade and we have a new and hopefully better functioning forum version now. Do take some time to get used to the new layout and features. Let me know if there is something we should check or if something doesn't work. I am also testing it for the first time, it is new for me, too :)

One thing I noticed, it was an old concern, of course - personal messages should work now.

That's it from me for now!

Greetings,

Yavor

• I like the look of the new forum. :drink:

What I find funny about it however is the logo. Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a girl's butt?:cup:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I like the look of the new forum. :drink:

What I find funny about it however is the logo. Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a girl's butt?:cup:

I'm missing it. Looks like an eel to me

[edit] okay, I was looking at the thing at the top of the page. I see the butt now

• No big deal, but the new software doesn't allow for putting a subject line on top of a post. And the posts that had them have lost them.

Eg, This post had a Subject that read: uhm heck I can't remember exactly but essentially "Day 3, Thursday July 12 results".

I went to post Day 4 results and for the sake of consistency went to copy the Subject from Day 3 and discovered it wasn't there.

Or am I missing something?

• Hmm, I think you are right. I cannot find a way to do it either. It surely isn't a big issue, though, and it seems like a software feature, to be honest. As an alternative, one can always start a post with a heading (don't know how it will look).

• Hmm, I think you are right. I cannot find a way to do it either. It surely isn't a big issue, though, and it seems like a software feature, to be honest. As an alternative, one can always start a post with a heading (don't know how it will look).

A heading will work fine. I was just a little startled when I realized that the Subject from previous posts had disappeared. No big deal.

• Permalinks to posts bookmarked in the old software don't seem to work now. They just go to the home page.

Example:

http://inside.volleycountry.com/#post347766

And, I dunno what impact this may have on all the archived threads, but I was looking at an old thread (Japanese NT 2015) and at the end of page 2 an info box says:

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

I thought it had deleted everything beyond that but maybe that thread was only 2 pages long. A few other threads I checked go on for several pages and the last reply is older than 365 days. False alarm

• Pay no attention to this post unless you are interested in floating images and tables. The new site design has massively upgraded some formatting and media capabilities: you can now upload an image directly to the site instead of having to host it elsewhere and link to it. Use the Attachment Tab below the Post Editor, not the "Image" icon in the Formatting Toolbar. yo samsara ! And you can "float" text around said image as you see here. Choose your "Float" choice after inserting the image by clicking on the Image. It doesn't appear you can can randomly resize the image. I don't know who pays for the storage of these images or if the admins want to encourage or discourage the usage. Matthias ?

Moving on with random text to make sure I get past the image before inserting a Table.

Contrary to popular belief, Lorem Ipsum is not simply random text. It has roots in a piece of classical Latin literature from 45 BC, making it over 2000 years old. Richard McClintock, a Latin professor at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, looked up one of the more obscure Latin words, consectetur, from a Lorem Ipsum passage, and going through the cites of the word in classical literature, discovered the undoubtable source. Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC.

Tables

The first one here is inserted using the "Insert Table" function from the formatting toolbar. You can't manually resize the columns or rows as far as I can tell. Pro Tip: Add the Header Row after creating the Table by clicking somewhere in your Table and then clicking on the Table Icon in the Formatting Toolbar..

It's a bit of a crapshoot what it will look like as it resizes itself according to the size of your screen, but I think folks who post data sets, scores, rosters, etc., might really like this. Curious what theloneracer will think of it.

header 1
    header 2 header 3 X Y Z
    Game 1
    Team A Score 1
    x y z
    Game 2
    Team B Score 2 x y z
    Game 3
    Team C Score 3 x y z

This next one was copied from here. Not bad for a google-translated page with different row numbers in different columns. Pro Tip: I've had better luck by copying some plain text before and after the table (in this case, the July 12... and July 13... snippets) and then deleting it afterwards if I don't want it.

July 12 (Thursday) qualifying league

NEC Red Rockets
    (Japan)
       20  25   Supreme VC
    (Thailand)
    3  21  25 2
     25  22
    (0 wins, 1 defeat)  25  18 (1-1 defeat)
       15  11  

July 13 (gold) qualifying league

This next one is from Wikipedia, here. Again using some pre- and post- text. Note: At this point I don't know if the Header Info will show up when I actually post it. It's here when I look at it in the Editor, but it's not there when I preview it. Drumroll Please:

[Edit]: The Header Row (Pts., W, L, ratio, etc.) did not Post. Dunno Why, and as I mentioned, it was visible here while editing but didn't show in the Preview. Maybe I'll investigate.

Pool A

1 Japan NEC Red Rockets 2 2 0 5 6 3 2.000 207 199 1.040 Quarter-finals
    2 Thailand Supreme Chonburi 2 1 1 4 5 3 1.667 176 159 1.107
    3 China Jiangsu Zenith Steel 2 0 2 0 1 6 0.167 151 176 0.858

Updated to match(es) played on unknown. Source: AVC

Finally, Youtube. It appears all you have to do to inline a youtube video is paste the link (no more [youtube]stuff[/yt])

• In the old software there was that "down arrow" that would take you to the LAST UNREAD post in a thread, which I used all the time. It seems here there is only a link, by clicking on the avatar of someone, to go to the LAST POST in a thread.

Am I missing something obvious?

I'm not as efficient in catching up to things here, and believe it must be that I'm not doing it properly. Lots more clicking and scrolling and guessing and trying to remember going on for me now.

• In the old software there was that "down arrow" that would take you to the LAST UNREAD post in a thread, which I used all the time. It seems here there is only a link, by clicking on the avatar of someone, to go to the LAST POST in a thread.

Am I missing something obvious?

I'm not as efficient in catching up to things here, and believe it must be that I'm not doing it properly. Lots more clicking and scrolling and guessing and trying to remember going on for me now.

If there are unread posts and you click on the topic title, it will take you to the first unread post.

• If there are unread posts and you click on the topic title, it will take you to the first unread post.

Ah wonderful. Thank you.

(and going to the first unread post is what I want. I'm glad you weren't confused by my bad explanation :aww:

• I like the most that the new board S/W allows direct upload of images, it's very helpful for posting from mobilephone with no access to those image servers while image hotlinking is not favoured. Then the LIKE button for some positive & useful posts... it will even be greater IF there is a DISLIKE button too for those negative, useless posts! :-)

Well, it will come gradually to explore the many features of the new software, one step at a time is (still) a good learning.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete.

• :sos:
    • :what:
    • :rose:
    • :mad:
    • :drink:
    • :white:
    • :super:
    • :down:
    • :whistle:
    • :wavy:
    • :teach:
    • :win: